McLaren M8B - Accurate Miniatures - 1:24 Scale

CDW

21 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I must have only seen cheap diecast. They always seem to have giant seams around where the doors and opening panels meet. But then I suppose that could be the six inch thick layers of paint they all seem to have.

Really nice die casts cost 100's of dollars each. The body work is more like sheet metal rather than die cast.

Here's my 1957 Maserati 250F. Notice how thin the body sheet metal is. No doors. 😄

DSCN1480.thumb.JPG.d8ec7fdaf32ab29c9878e976acc2e90c.JPGDSCN1481.thumb.JPG.f19b129e73c5bc87f0078d95cd3c2555.JPGDSCN1482.thumb.JPG.93240d617ab7104b781381fbc8af2b3f.JPGDSCN1483.thumb.JPG.4b020c898a3e91b09605af1bd7d2c966.JPGDSCN1484.thumb.JPG.c8727780c94494e53a06712b05ca402b.JPGDSCN1485.thumb.JPG.633be5a33526d73bd3e7a4f3a92f8b20.JPGDSCN1486.thumb.JPG.e3a074fc7450891305e5f8ebb4cb5173.JPGDSCN1487.thumb.JPG.104a64d79fdb1ca50d5e15e1c4d0f6b9.JPGDSCN1488.thumb.JPG.1aaa5cfef24a814f7607041b40c1299d.JPGDSCN1489.thumb.JPG.71705fc845d9147d6664a33faa968597.JPG

Not certain what scale they are but from here they look pretty nice. The Birdcage still seems to have those rounded edges of the typical diecast though. Not so much on the Maserati except where the riveted fuel tank mates up behind the driver. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

What was in the kit for the seat belts originally? Your kit was unopened so everything should have been in there. Did they suggest you use paper strips? (I'm too lazy to walk to my stash room and looks for myself)

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

53 minutes ago, lmagna said:

What was in the kit for the seat belts originally? Your kit was unopened so everything should have been in there. Did they suggest you use paper strips? (I'm too lazy to walk to my stash room and looks for myself)

I would tell you if I could find it, but for the time being, I have misplaced the kit decals and the material they included for the seat belts. The seat belt material came sandwiched between to pieces of sticky backed paper and I never got around to opening it, but it felt like a lump of something rather than being thin like ribbon. I'll locate the MIA decal sheet and seat belt material eventually but for now it's gone. 

No big worry. I suspect your ribbon will be better anyway. Just means I will have to get off of my lazy B*tt and dig out my kit and see what's there. Luckily I have dragged it out recently, (To get the kits for you and Mike) and it should be at the front and not require too much digging.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

No big worry. I suspect your ribbon will be better anyway. Just means I will have to get off of my lazy B*tt and dig out my kit and see what's there. Luckily I have dragged it out recently, (To get the kits for you and Mike) and it should be at the front and not require too much digging.

We want to be nosy  and sneak a look at your stash Lou  "go on you know you want to"😊

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

We want to be nosy  and sneak a look at your stash Lou  "go on you know you want to"😊

No, it is really quite horrendous.

Forty years of reading and whenever there was a model associated with my life or something I read I would buy it if possible. Sometimes more than one of "IT". But I wanted to wait until I had a house free of kids breaking things to build them. Well I think it is fairly clear how that worked out for me. I'm 72 years old and still have two children at home to raise.

Then there was the spree I went on a number of years ago when I revived my teen interest in Sport Prototype, GT, and Can Am cars of the sixties. I think that at one time I was up to about 160+ 1/24th scale cars and bodies, all from that era of 1960-70. As an example I had four of this McLaren M8B kit as it can be built as a M8A, M8B, M8D, and possibly as an F. I still have one full and one possibly full kit in a bag!

What I am saying is that I have no place in the entire house large enough where I could pull them all out and display them for a picture even though they are of course all in boxes. 

When I die in a couple of years, my kids are going to make a run on eBay and most of them will probably go for ten cents on the dollar as they have no idea how much some of them are worth, or any interest in keeping them, as they seem to have little interest on ships, aircraft, or racing cars and the history they made, let alone in models.:(

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

A life long friend in the hobby business routinely bought entire inventories (models and related items of all descriptions) from bankrupt businesses and estates for exactly what you said, 10 cents on the dollar. That was the going rate and probably still is in a distress sale.

It was nothing short of amazing to walk into his hobby shop and spend half the day just looking at everything he had, and then you only saw a tenth of it because he owned warehouses full out of sight. Today I regret so much that I did not have the foresight to take photos of his business both inside and out to save for posterity. It's all gone now and I can't find photos of it anywhere. Sigh...the good old days.

I used to bring thousands of dollars worth of hobby items to him and he would trade with me. Got some mighty fine models from the man.

I have a friend like that today, he runs the only model shop in the entire Puget Sound area of Washington....

The last one, so far he's survived covid......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

14 minutes ago, Egilman said:

he runs the only model shop in the entire Puget Sound area of Washington

?????????????????????????????????

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 minutes ago, lmagna said:

?????????????????????????????????

Ah..... I keep forgetting...

https://www.skywaymodel.com/#

Gentleman named Emil... Great guy....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I can't believe how nice this is turning out. It is really looking nice. When I build the old Heller Ferrari P3 they suggested you make the cooling ducts from wire wrapped around a stick and painted with a heavy coat of paint. This looks much easier.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I can't believe how nice this is turning out. It is really looking nice. When I build the old Heller Ferrari P3 they suggested you make the cooling ducts from wire wrapped around a stick and painted with a heavy coat of paint. This looks much easier.

There's ductwork for the rear brakes as well. To be installed in a later step.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

I thought about the same thing....surrounded by fuel. Yikes!

At least they had fuel cells.  That was a huge safety advance in - the '70's?  I recall some of the awful fires in F1 prior to that - mostly a thing of the past, now.  When Romain Grosjean's car went up in flames last year, it was a complete shock to everyone

Andrew Bodge

Finished:  Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack (Midwest / Model Shipways)

Finished: Maine Lobster Boat (BlueJacket)

Finished: Yankee Hero (BlueJacket)

Finished: Emma C. Berry (Model Shipways)

Finished: Northeaster Dory (Chesapeake Light Craft)

Finished: Schooner Bowdoin (BlueJacket)

Finished: US Revenue Cutter "Joe Lane" (Marine Models)

Missing and presumed lost: Friendship Sloop (Laughing Whale)

On 3/11/2021 at 11:49 PM, CDW said:

Really nice die casts cost 100's of dollars each. The body work is more like sheet metal rather than die cast.

Here's my 1957 Maserati 250F. Notice how thin the body sheet metal is. No doors. 😄

DSCN1480.thumb.JPG.d8ec7fdaf32ab29c9878e976acc2e90c.JPGDSCN1481.thumb.JPG.f19b129e73c5bc87f0078d95cd3c2555.JPGDSCN1482.thumb.JPG.93240d617ab7104b781381fbc8af2b3f.JPGDSCN1483.thumb.JPG.4b020c898a3e91b09605af1bd7d2c966.JPGDSCN1484.thumb.JPG.c8727780c94494e53a06712b05ca402b.JPGDSCN1485.thumb.JPG.633be5a33526d73bd3e7a4f3a92f8b20.JPGDSCN1486.thumb.JPG.e3a074fc7450891305e5f8ebb4cb5173.JPGDSCN1487.thumb.JPG.104a64d79fdb1ca50d5e15e1c4d0f6b9.JPGDSCN1488.thumb.JPG.1aaa5cfef24a814f7607041b40c1299d.JPGDSCN1489.thumb.JPG.71705fc845d9147d6664a33faa968597.JPG

Is that the Revival kit?  If so, you did a really fantastic job on it!  Did you enjoy the build?

I have a couple of Revival kits in the stash, might have this one.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Nice little hot rod. It suits her.😁

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Took my grand daughter, turning 16, to pick up her first car yesterday evening. Mazda Miata.

IMG_3361.jpg.62a5e401484ed0bf244e877d80ebccd0.jpg

Nice pick!  Are you looking to adopt more kids?  I'm past the potty training stage...

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

6 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I'm past the potty training stage...

I'm not

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

51 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I'm not

I've heard as we age, we regress.... After letting that soak in for a minute... I"m afraid.  Very afraid.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's an old age joke kind of thing Mike. You may need a few more years under your belt to see the humor.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

13 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice pick!  Are you looking to adopt more kids?  I'm past the potty training stage...

While she's not quite 16 yet, a few more months to go (this summer), she's already taking college courses and will graduate high school at 16. She's in all high honors classes and has her heart set on becoming a mechanic. Go figure. I was so proud of her today, she changed the oil in her newly acquired Miata, flushed the radiator and put in new coolant, put in a new set of spark plugs, changed the air filter, and completely detailed the engine compartment. She's a smart girl and not afraid to get her hands dirty. 

Forget about if you are looking to adopt more grandkids, I'll trade my two for your one!:D 

She is young yet and it sounds like she my want to go to college.

Our oldest did that. He graduated from High school wanting to be a rock and roll drummer. He even ended up going to Germany and other places and playing a few gigs for the USO. But on his way back he stopped off on the east coast, met a girl who was going to college and the next thing we knew we were paying college tuition! The girl eventually went her own way and the next thing we knew he had elevated his goal to becoming a doctor. Ten years later and he finally quit being a professional student and started making money on his own!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey