HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

Very nice -- one of the cleanest model I have seen....   👍

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

2 hours ago, CaptMorgan said:

one of the cleanest model

Thank you, I appreciate the comment.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 3 weeks later...

Starting the Forecastle

Moving on to the bow, it having looked so empty after finishing the first phase of the quarterdeck. I had fit the forecastle beams a while back so that meant re-fitting to match the template. In my case that meant the most forward six had to all be moved forward by varying amounts and the deck clamps modified accordingly. Chuck points out this was a known challenge going into the planning given the two vs. three dimensional view and variance amongst as-built hulls.

Post48-2163.jpg.9f5ab5e73ed7a1c8ea8e64e9b91df98c.jpg

I picked up using these surgeon quality chisels from @Blue Ensign a while back. The two sizes, the larger one shown here, are very sharp. The only version I could find were sterile (consequently more expensive) but they are more than worth the price for jobs like widening the deck clamp slots. Plus I don’t have to worry about my wood getting an infection.

I elected to install the forward most beam once I had the proper distance from beam 7, 8, and 9 (triple confirmation) as those three along with 10 matched the template. That gave me measurements in two directions for moving the remaining 2-6 beams, double and triple confirmation.

Post48-2214.jpg.a0d9f2b62aa949cd853f2da5d4b2b93e.jpg

I got ahead of myself by not taking photos, and the ones I did take are off-angle. The bowsprit step, composed of four bits of boxwood laser cut was up next followed by the manger boards composed of 6 pieces (times two) including a strips of 1/64 x 1/8 planed to that thickness by my Byrnes thickness sander, 1/64 is about as thin as it goes, but it did it. Interestingly, but obvious when you think about it, the bowsprit step has a slight rearward lean to it, something to remember when setting the fully upright manager boards. Not shown, but as per the instructions, I also made the bits to match the step which will be added on top later (as Chuck points out in reality it would be all one piece but we won’t know the difference once added).

Post48-2215.jpg.a36687b63f63cd84bcfdacf5d2471dc0.jpg

The manger boards have to be shaped to fit the angle of the bowsprit step and also slightly more challenging, the bulwarks. They must fit and not block the knee for beam 3, so to keep that from happening I first permanently installed beams 2 and 3 and then the hanging knees for beam 3. Again my photos taking lagged building, the lodging knees were added after all this followed by beam 4 and its hanging knees.

Post48-2211.jpg.2369fd5d0c5fe608164799d000d07d1f.jpg

Finally, once all the lodging knees were in place the cat tails were added. It was tricky placing and fitting them.  A provided handy template marked the bulwark side. Here again, while in reality one piece the catheads will be added later. I found this interesting, no other model I’ve built shows this detail. NOTE: I realized I’d missed-marked the starboard side, fortunately before gluing the cattail. It was erased and marked correctly. 

I used the bowsprit step as a reference point for the inward edges first by laying them on top and adding pencil marks as the guide suggested by the instructions, then the fun task of gluing, placing and clamping to bottom of the beams while aligning with my little finger and flat headed tweezers. I also added the foremost carlings only because I wanted to see how it looked.

Post48-2213.jpg.a3ca29b39a4583af4dd5ddc4a59bc0e8.jpg

And this is how it all looks completed. I sometimes wonder if I really want to cover almost all of this work up with deck planking later, a decision I will defer to much later.

The key for me is to work slowly front to back and not install anything until I ensure it won’t make installing the next thing more difficult. In short read and plan ahead. 

On to the rest of Chapter 8 and the remainder of the forecastle structure. As always, thank you for your likes and comments. They are encouraging and appreciated.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Lookin good Glenn. Nice and crisp as usual. I didn’t want to cover any of that structure up either. A good planking job will help take the sting out of it though. You’re moving along nicely.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

It looks wonderful Glenn. So precise, as usual. A quick question…have you used your Byrnes thickness sander much on this build? It’s on my tool acquisition list and was just curious on how helpful it would be during building of the Winnie.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

3 hours ago, James G said:

have you used your Byrnes thickness sander much

Thanks for the comment.

I ran every plank I used on the hull and deck through it to ensure a consistent thickness an a number of other times as well. It’s the tool I never knew I needed until I got one and not sure how I did without it now that I have it.  

Regards,

Glenn

20 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

didn’t want to cover any of that structure up either

Thanks JJ.  I think about it every time I’m putting the third coat of red on a knee 🤣

Regards,

Glenn

3 hours ago, Thukydides said:

care you take with your work to get it just righ

Thank you, I do try. 

Regards,

Glenn

Looking very neat, clean and beautiful again Glenn!
I have a question. How did you anticipate with the cams or inlets at the sides that the deckbeams are perpendicular to the deck planking, i.e. the long axle of the ship?

Thanks,

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

1 hour ago, FrankWouts said:

How did you anticipate with the cams or inlets at the sides that the deckbeams are perpendicular to the deck planking, i.e. the long axle of the ship?

Sorry Frank, I don’t understand the question. Are you referring to the deck clamps and the notches that hold the beams?

If so that was an important step as I mounted the clamps. I prepared a couple of the beams, mounted the deck clamp on one side per the plans and instructions then used a mini-square and lots of measuring with the test beams to set the other side so the beams both perpendicular and the same height at both bulwarks (so parallel) to the deck. Most notches had to be widened, I only did that from the bow side so the stern side of the notch never changed.  I also checked each beam against the plans templates for distance between beams and again checked heights as I went. As noted in the post adjustments were later required at the bow, still need a good starting point though. 

If that’s not what you were asking, please let me know. 

Regards,

Glenn

3 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

Looking very neat, clean and beautiful again Glenn!
I have a question. How did you anticipate with the cams or inlets at the sides that the deckbeams are perpendicular to the deck planking, i.e. the long axle of the ship?

Thanks,

Frank.

Are yo perhaps referring to the scupper holes Frank?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Very nice work, Glenn.

I showed your latest posts to a granddaughter who commented that your model is looking like peppermint candy.

Eye candy, for sure! Yummy.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

5 hours ago, hollowneck said:

showed your latest posts to a granddaughter

Thanks, I think 😊 that’s not a connection I’d make.

Regards,

Glenn

Your answer answers my unclear question perfectly Glenn…thanks. It’s my high school level English that made my question unclear I guess…

No Greg, I meant it exactly the way Glenn describes it perfectly, but thanks…but indeed the scuppers seem a challenge to get right as well I think… 

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

30 minutes ago, FrankWouts said:

but indeed the scuppers seem a challenge to get right as well I think… 

Yes, the angles are tricky. Start with a small diameter drill. A round needle file helps as well.

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Glad it helped Frank. Your English is more than fine. Let me know if I can help further 

I am scupper free so can’t help there. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 8 Complete

It took me a lot less time to complete chapter 8 than it did chapter 7. It would have been done sooner except for two things: I split my available time between Winchelsea and creating a book from our Kenyan adventure, it’s now done and being printed. The second, for some now inexplicable reason we got a puppy - what were we thinking. It’s a nice Beagle but it takes a ton of time…anyway.

Post49-2216.jpg.956ef3cd4833e0b30c7526ef421687a0.jpg

Post49-2218.jpg.3bce4cd9e9d117cb8c6b21d551103267.jpg

Picking up where I left off with the forecastle I created a few jigs to square up and assemble the two sets of bitts, the table with movable clamps comes in handy. The spacers were helpful in establishing proper distances as well as aligning both. I pinned as well as glued them to the deck after scratching through the coats of WOP on the deck beneath the runners.

Post49-2226.jpg.41d3d90ae23a205ed5665e09dd6ac64d.jpg

MDF left over from prior models repeatedly comes in handy for creating jigs. In this case I milled a carefully measured grove on the bottom of three pieces to square up the stove I’d made so very long ago. It has a small not visible rectangle of wood on the bottom planed the height of the stove legs so I didn’t have to depend on the thin legs. More importantly these spacers set the proper location of the chimney per the templates so it sits the proper distance from beams fore and aft of it. This is a bit tricking to establish so I spent a good amount of time dry-fitting and measuring, then first gluing in the drip tray followed by the stove.

Post49-2227.jpg.f507878555cef0fdc8ee8c6c8a006444.jpg

With that done I could then measure, place, pin, and glue the aft set of bitts. Again a MDF spacer between it and the cargo hatch was important. I had to interpret the plans a bit and judge the distance of the bitts from the aft most beam to properly place it. The MDF risers for the weight don’t sit on the cargo hatch, but instead a more narrow ones below it. The weights were needed as well as using a #11 blade to again scratch up the deck and its 3 coats of WOP below the runners.

Post49-2228.jpg.e7deccf1f2655efce09ebc2c166270d0.jpg

I mentioned this last time, it was very important to work slowly from bow to aft, it would have been near impossible to place the stove and the bits had I been premature in gluing beams, not to mention how the covered cannon would have been placed. Also had I mounted the cannon too early it would have complicated fitting and attaching the knees. Speaking of which, I’ve spent a long time on scraping, painting, and fitting all these knees. I will have to keep these photos for my memories as they’ll soon all be completely covered by decking. I’m sill considering alternative decking to keep some of them exposed. Anyway…

You’ll notice blue tape running down the sides of the hull. I call those my canaries(as in the coal mine). I hit the tape (I hope) before I hit a cannon barrel or port lid in my clumsy fashion of moving too fast from tool tray to deck. It’s dumb, but so far it seems to work. I could just slow down and not hit them...

Post49-2263.jpg.2d6d82dc90ebabdabd31d10129781242.jpg

Post49-2252.jpg.0f92b57a9350365bf8482e3ac914c6d3.jpg

With that the final two beams are glued in and the carlings added. The carlings too are a bit tricky. They will be covered by decking but are needed to support coaming. They have to fit snugly, neither too small or too tight and have the pairs be identical for that to happen. Measuring carefully of course is important, however my Byrnes disc sander makes fine tuning these possible. Thank you Jim Byrnes.

Post49-2254.jpg.86d58bf029a15a0194b29220f3658894.jpg

I also added carlings to the quarterdeck per the templates. I used a laser gauge to re-establish the center line then transferred measurements from the templates to the beams.

Post49-2260.jpg.31b202f5ffde24fbabcf7f31403ad5df.jpg

Post49-2245.jpg.bf04a090d0364d1ea014430a5360cf4a.jpg

Post49-2250.jpg.20986e009ce7468156f2b14f46317403.jpg

And with that Chapter 8 is complete (the waist cannons and elm tree pumps are just placed for the photos). Please excuse the low quality photos and pitiful backdrop. I need to create a separate photo studio someplace someday.

Thank you as always for stopping by, your likes and comments are appreciated. Now the puppy needs attention.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

38 minutes ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

I know I’ve said it before, but that’s some beautiful work!

And we will keep saying it! That's some fine work Glenn. Congrats on the puppy too. One always needs a shop assistant!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

4 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

I know I’ve said it before,

Thank you for continuing to say it😁

Regards,

Glenn

4 hours ago, Rustyj said:

And we will keep saying it!

Thank you Rusty!

Regards,

Glenn

4 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Lovely work

Thank you, so many like you have shown me the way. 

Regards,

Glenn

On 11/11/2023 at 8:00 PM, Stuntflyer said:

I could be wrong, but I think that Frank is talking about the hawse holes.

No Mike,

I tried to ask how to make sure the deck supporting beams / logs are perpendicular to the deck planking / axle / keel of the ship.
Those beams go into 'slots' or inlets and those have to be exactly opposite to each other to achieve beams / logs perpendicular to the axle / deck planking / keel of the ship...

Glenn answered my question perfectly without understanding it, LOL....

Frank. 

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

12 hours ago, glbarlow said:

You’ll notice blue tape running down the sides of the hull. I call those my canaries(as in the coal mine). I hit the tape (I hope) before I hit a cannon barrel or port lid

I am officially stealing this idea. Thanks!

You are doing a great job and I hope you find a way to show those knees.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold