Workshop Vacuum cleaners

Go to solution Solved by DaveBaxt,

I have recently purchased  a number of Proxxon tools  including the FET saw. I am now looking at vacume cleaner which I can connect to the FET asw ( continously) and also use it for other areas in the workshop. I live in the uk so must be 230v ac with preferably a 3 pin plug. I have been looking at the Proxxon wet and dry vacume cleaner which has the correct attachment for the FET saw, however I have had difficulty sourcing this in the uk. Ebay sell them but ends up taking about 3 weeks from Italy. Just wondering what other alternatives there are in the uk, or where I can get the Proxxon vacuum cleaner here in the UK Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Hello Dave,

I use a Henry vac and it is more than adequate for everything I run: sanders, bandsaw and table saw. Using a turbo style waste collector was the best move I have made. I am probably going to get another vac because of the layout of my shop and have been looking at some surprisingly cheap options such as this item on Ebay:

Image 51 - 800W Fireplace Stove Log & Wood Burner Vacuum Cleaner Ash Vac Workshop Hoover

There are several sources, this one is ebay item number 322205501939

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

2 hours ago, bruce d said:

Hello Dave,

I use a Henry vac and it is more than adequate for everything I run: sanders, bandsaw and table saw. Using a turbo style waste collector was the best move I have made. I am probably going to get another vac because of the layout of my shop and have been looking at some surprisingly cheap options such as this item on Ebay:

Image 51 - 800W Fireplace Stove Log & Wood Burner Vacuum Cleaner Ash Vac Workshop Hoover

There are several sources, this one is ebay item number 322205501939

HTH

Bruce

Thanks for the link but would liek some feed back on that particular item. I will look into the Little Henry which I believe are very common here in uk and if its doing a good job for you, I will definately look into that. I came across this version which I am happy with the price. https://www.equip4work.co.uk/numatic-nrv200-commercial-dry-vacuum-cleaner.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZCKBhBkEiwAM4qfF3D8QBznbSTZruqCY4lhvqQjJ7Dp_ymd5o5P8O_64qLOsL8jlNCLjxoC_wEQAvD_BwE .There are however cheaper models but not sure of the power. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific in what model you are running. Does it reqire changing the bag every time it is cleaned or can you just clean them? Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

1 hour ago, Charles Green said:

Both Fein and Festool make a line of shop vacs that are noted for HEPA filtration, plenty of power, long life and they are quiet.  Both are European based companies.  I am supposing they produce versions of their vacs compatible with your needs. 

Thanks for that and I will take a look at them and see if there any stockests in the UK.

Just found this Fein cleaner, which looks really good and discription. Double the price of the Henry but like the idea of the large capacity and  high specs. I will have a look at what reviews there is? I can find Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

42 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

more specific in what model you are running. Does it reqire changing the bag every time it is cleaned or can you just clean them?

The one in your link seems to be the same as mine, apart from age. Using the turbo waste tub has just about eliminated emptying the Henry bag since 90 + % of the collected crud stays in the tub.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

6 minutes ago, bruce d said:

The one in your link seems to be the same as mine, apart from age. Using the turbo waste tub has just about eliminated emptying the Henry bag since 90 + % of the collected crud stays in the tub.

Sounding better by the minute . Thank you for your quick response and think I will take a punt with this on e as I really like the price. Haha

The Fein units are quiet enough I can hear my radio across the room from the bench.  The common shop vac is noisy enough to need hearing protection if you are in the same room.  When I have the Fein unit going and I am using the small Preac saw the noise from the air being sucked down around the saw blade is heard.  I always back the power off a bit when using the Preac for an extended time due to this being distracting.  To me the extra cost of the Fein is well worth not having to use hearing protection and being aware of my surroundings.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 minute ago, druxey said:

Fein? Pricy, but nice!

Yes, but like a Byrnes Saw the extra cost is well worth it!

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

The Fein units are quiet enough I can hear my radio across the room from the bench.  The common shop vac is noisy enough to need hearing protection if you are in the same room.  When I have the Fein unit going and I am using the small Preac saw the noise from the air being sucked down around the saw blade is heard.  I always back the power off a bit when using the Preac for an extended time due to this being distracting.  To me the extra cost of the Fein is well worth not having to use hearing protection and being aware of my surroundings.

That's good to hear (😜), this was on my list so I can move out of the garage and into the basement. Having a real person's opinion is better than 5-stars on a web site.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Hi Dave -  I currently use a Bosch Gas20 vac on all of my tools but after a few years of use I've realised its just so noisy.  In fact it really gets on my nerves now.  It has great extraction but crickey its so loud!!!

I've realised that I need something a bit quieter so I'm looking at Festool as a solution.  I'm going to visit my local Axminster tools and get a demo so that I know its worth the money.  If its quieter and also has good extraction I'lll be getting one.

10 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

All very good points and have to admit the household vac I am using at the moment is way to noisy, especially as it sits under my work bench so noise is very important for me and is possibly the deal breaker for me. Once again I thank you for a timely intervention. Best regards Dave

9 hours ago, No Idea said:

Hi Dave -  I currently use a Bosch Gas20 vac on all of my tools but after a few years of use I've realised its just so noisy.  In fact it really gets on my nerves now.  It has great extraction but crickey its so loud!!!

I've realised that I need something a bit quieter so I'm looking at Festool as a solution.  I'm going to visit my local Axminster tools and get a demo so that I know its worth the money.  If its quieter and also has good extraction I'lll be getting one.

I have been looking at the Festool also but think they are bit too pricey for me having spent a fortune already on a number of Proxxon power tools. Once again thanks for your help and I hope you get what you need as noise in the work place is not something I would like. I see there is an Axminster tool store about 30 miniutes from me so think I will take a look aswell. Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

5 hours ago, Diver said:

Stihl power tools make an excellent shop vac.  When it is running you can carry on a conversation right next to it.  They are pricey but are a great machine.

Thanks for your input.They do look very slick. So another to possibly to consider? I am now leaning towards either Festool or fein as both are stocked at my local Axminister store and would like a closer look. Best regards Dave

57 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

Thanks for your input.They do look very slick. So another to possibly to consider? I am now leaning towards either Festool or fein as both are stocked at my local Axminister store and would like a closer look. Best regards Dave

Hi Dave ,

I have recently acquired a Festool Midi shop Vac with a class M Filter. I runs very quietly, sucks great and the  hose works like charm when I use it with my hand held circular saw. Pricey, but worth it , I should say.

Greetings, Rudolf

I have tried the festools shopvac at a dealership. I was surprised how quiet it is. It has a long nose and come with auto switch. Which means when a saw or sander is connected to power outlet on vac it starts when saw or sander starts. 

Yes they are pricey but comes in three different sizes too.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Plus one for the Festool. I have one and use it for my larger hand held tools in the big workshop. It’s very quite but also very efficient. They also have a “cyclone” option, which I have, and that reduces the frequency of bag changes. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

• Solution

I would once again like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have eventually gone with the Fein model herehttps://www.axminstertools.com/fein-dustex-25l-wet-and-dry-extractor-230v-506260

By the time I bought the tools and a couple of extra bags it is about as much as I can spend. No doubt there will be something out there that is better.

There are some terrific choices when one starts to look into it, so asking on here has been a great eye opener. Thank you all! 

I am building a lot of stuff in my workshop. One challenge is to run a 3D printer in the same room I do operate a Bosch 10 XC table saw and an extension of it a milling table. Both are source for  lot of dust. So I decided to build a dust collection system based on a cyclone, that stores de dust in a tonne and that keeps the bag of the vacuum cleaner nearly empty. Additionally I am building an air cleaner that collects particles down to 5 micron size. My workshop consists of 2 rooms so the air cleaner is doubling 2 radial fans with 2 sets of filters, one for each room.

16 minutes ago, Hellmut1956 said:

I am building a lot of stuff in my workshop. One challenge is to run a 3D printer in the same room I do operate a Bosch 10 XC table saw and an extension of it a milling table. Both are source for  lot of dust. So I decided to build a dust collection system based on a cyclone, that stores de dust in a tonne and that keeps the bag of the vacuum cleaner nearly empty. Additionally I am building an air cleaner that collects particles down to 5 micron size. My workshop consists of 2 rooms so the air cleaner is doubling 2 radial fans with 2 sets of filters, one for each room.

Sounds like you have a state of the art workshop. Unfortunately I am currently living in two sheds which are purpose built for modelling. One is currently for the power tools, the other for everything else. Fortunately the one for everything else is insulated. Best regards Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Based on reviews I've read, I just bought a Festool CT 15. While it works great, it is not at all quiet like I thought it should be. At its highest settings I certainly would need hearing protection and have to shout to carry on a conversation. People here have posted they can carry on a normal conversation or listen to music while it is on. I don't have an accurate sound level meter anymore, but one of those phone apps I downloaded shows it runs from 79-84dB depending on power setting, from 4ft away.

The unit is in a small bedroom, not a large workshop. I'm wondering if the unit is defective?

John

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

No way to tell from here but I run my Fein at a lower power most times as the max is so powerful it causes noise from the air being sucked inside the saw from evey opening including the zero clearance plate - it's not actually zero.  Lower settings are more than adequate for use with my Jim saw and sander.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

4 hours ago, javajohn said:

Based on reviews I've read, I just bought a Festool CT 15. While it works great, it is not at all quiet like I thought it should be. At its highest settings I certainly would need hearing protection and have to shout to carry on a conversation. People here have posted they can carry on a normal conversation or listen to music while it is on. I don't have an accurate sound level meter anymore, but one of those phone apps I downloaded shows it runs from 79-84dB depending on power setting, from 4ft away.

The unit is in a small bedroom, not a large workshop. I'm wondering if the unit is defective?

John

Hi John that’s interesting as I am thinking about buying this tool too so thanks for the information.  Just out of interest could you please let me know what the hose diameter is for the tool end. 

For years, I used a Sears 16 gal wet/dry shopvac that was so loud that hearing protection was needed to avoid hours of ringing ears.

Going for the quiet, I bought a Festool Midi - a now discontinued model.  One that for some reason did not want a cyclone trap in-line.

It was less noisy and pulled enough air volume, but it has one characteristic that makes it useless to me and a wasted $600.  It stops after a few minutes.  I need an hour or more, not 10 minutes and me having to cycles the on-off.  

I bought a 14gal Rigid at Home Depot  for $100 that is just as quiet, and stays on.  It is for my garage.  In my model room, I use an Atrix Canister Revo Red Vacuum . It has a clear trap chamber.  No silent, but not painful either, 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

If someone ever make a quiet vacuum cleaner ill be the first to use it. Both my inside and outside shop use the small Veritas system of gates. I am afraid i use ear muff when ever i am using the system. Its a real pain in the ***. I also use a cheap remote control switch to turn the system on and off. This does work great.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@No Idea The Festool's hose itself is 32mm OD, and 27mm ID (metric, being a European manufacturer). The hose end adapter has a 1-inch inside diameter, and about 1-3/8-inch outside. I think it is designed to fit standard ports on hand power tools. The hose is pretty flexible. It comes with a hose that isn't anti-static, but you can buy anti-static hoses for it. I use it for my Byrnes saw. The end is a bit too small to fit the 1-1/4" port on the saw, but it still works.

@kurtvd19 I'm with you on the power setting. The low setting has plenty of suction for the Byrnes saw.

I'm happy with the CT 15 except for the noise. My expectations were probably too high, and considering the small room it's in, any vac will be loud. I may look into building a sound box for it.

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to this thread I have now replaced my Bosch Gas 20 with a Festool CTM Midi extractor.  There's not that much difference in overall size and the CTM fits nicely under my bench.

The CTM is a class M extractor which is a step up from the Bosch which was L class.  It seems very well made but most importantly for me it is a lot quieter.  It also has a very long hose so I can put it further away too and I have found that low power on this machine is about the same as full power on my old machine.

However it is a very expensive machine so only time will tell whether it was worth it or not.  Also considering the price it came with no tools for cleaning up at all.  This was an additional cost even though it was a small one I think the manufacturers could supply them with the machine.  If you really want to go for it you can buy a bluetooth switch that turns it on and off at the tool end to save walking back to the machine.  I also think that this should be supplied as standard.

I'm just waiting for an adaptor to join the Festool hose to my tools now but having run it up the lower noise will be bliss in my workshop as I had my old machine on for most of the time.