Hello from Poland :)

AiDi

Hi everyone! My name is Adam and I'm from Warsaw, Poland.

Ship modelling was my big fascination when I was a teenager but I didn't do much with that because there were no hobby shops in my town and I had no internet at that time. Besides, wood modelling is kind of expensive and we didn't have that much money. The biggest thing I did, well at least started to do, was a model of Titanic from Hachette collection. Unfortunately I didn't finish it - when my mom saw that it will have 100 issues she said "honey, nope". Nevertheless I liked the idea of model making. Some time later I saw in one of our press shops an issue of polish modelling magazine which discussed a type of ships that I fell in love with instantly – galleons. Oh Lorde. The thing that brought my attention the most was rigging. I also liked over the top ornamentations, and castle-like structre – a lot of decks that were placed high in the aft. But rigging – how in the hell that worked? What it consisted of? So many questions, no way to answer.

In the meantime we got internet, so I started reading as much as possible. I liked drawing projects of galleon models (and also shipyard cranes, what a weird passion 🙃), but that is that, I never got the chance to do a proper model. Time flied by, and I put the whole idea to rest.

Until 2019, when I saw an advert of new DeAgostini collection - Soleil Royal. The passion came alive again, but with new possibilities! Internet, books, money 😁 Of course, silly me, I wanted to bash the kit and do a lot of enhancements. But the problem was, and still kind of is, that this model has a lot of design flaws, which caused my enthusiasm to die for a while. It got back to life as soon as I had an idea what to do with this model, which was not that long ago, but more on this in a separate topic.

In the meantime I bought and started assembling Montanes by OcCre. Yeah, I know. Big and difficult set for the beginner, a straight route to a disaster. But I guess I did pretty well with what I did. I stopped at hull planking since I felt I needed to gain some experience on something simpler. Montanes has only one layer of planking so there's no room for learning - you have to know what you're doing. I'll get back to it some day, when Soleil is finished.

Rigging is still my biggest fascination. I'm reading about it as much as possible. Anderson, Lees, Pettersson. Also I love book by Wolfram zu Mondfeld. During the time I was reading books, forums and other sources I realized that 16th and 17th century galleons are my main interest and probably I will focus only on them (maybe HMS Victory will be an exception). Some day I want to start scratch building, but until that, I'll gain my experience working with kits. Also, and that may be a little bit controversial - I am not that much focused on, and devoted to, historical accuracy. I mean, I was reading topic on Royal Katherine by Doris, and she didn't do some things in the cabins because English ships didn't have that at that time, but Dutch did. If it was me I would go for the Dutch looks, more than for English historical accuracy. Maybe it's more accurate to say that at the moment I'm building a model that resembles Soleil Royal, more than recreates it in the most accurate way. E.g. I plan on implementing La Couronne rigging to it, even though I know it's an anachronism. But hey, that's my way of doing it, you don't have to like it 🙂

Besides modelling - I am 30 years old, I have masters in theoretical physics and my interests focus around the geometrical foundations of quantum and classical field theories. I work as a private teacher.

Edited by AiDi

Welcome to MSW, Adam.   There's a lot of information here on MSW.  If you haven't done it, read as many of the pinned topics as you can.  Also at the top of the page where it says "More", there's a link to a database which also has a lot of articles.    

As for building a model you have, search the logs for that particular model (use the search feature at the top right).  And also, open a build log for your project as it's a great way to get help and also meet other builders.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Adam, welcome to MSW. Good to have you aboard and it's neat that you're discovered your passion for galleons. 

Thanks guys 🙂Yes, I will open my thread next week. I also read (and saved) a lot of topics here and the articles  you recommend - I am the type of guy that likes to read a lot about the things I'm getting into. That's not always good, sometimes I read too much, and do to little...

Edited by AiDi

2 hours ago, AiDi said:

I am the type of guy that likes to read a lot about the things I'm getting into. That's not always good, sometimes I read too much, and do to little...

Don't feel bad about that.  I think there's more of us like that here than not.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, AiDi said:

have masters in theoretical physics and my interests focus around the geometrical foundations of quantum and classical field theories

This comment makes we wonder how many of our fellow ship modelers are in the sciences or engineering.  I have a PhD degree in mathematics.  

12 minutes ago, Papa said:

This comment makes we wonder how many of our fellow ship modelers are in the sciences or engineering.

If you're genuinely curious, I can set up a topic in the Shore Leave area.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

A Warm Welcome Adam.

You've found the "sweet spot." You's  soon discover there are a good number of modelers here who are into string theory (i.e. rigging).

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me