Mikasa by Tim Moore - HobbyBoss - 1:200 - PLASTIC

I’ll just put a placeholder down for my next construct, the Japanese pre- dreadnought Mikasa which just squeaks in this file category being circa 1902. Something new for me as my only other plastic boat effort was a Calypso many many years ago, a hack rush job on my part I need to atone for with the plastic gods. I got this Hobby Boss kit from a Canadian supplier. It must be the same product as various others of this ship under different labels (Trumpeter etc.). 
First impressions.

Compact size. Good value. The plastic is really, really good. Highly detailed, workable, not brittle, and a real mother lode of part complexity. I’m almost questioning my judgment in getting the pricey Pontos upgrade, I think I could do a lot out of this box with some good detail painting and a few of my own bits of customization, but we will see. I ordered the Pontos at the same time but it is still between me and the supplier in the U.S.. No doubt marooned somewhere in the gears of the Canadian customs bureaucracy and postal system.
Just poking about tentatively while I wait. In an hour and a half I have a hull with portholes and a deck! The fit is amazing. With wooden ships I’m  a month and a half of planking to get here. Gives me something to look at while I ponder what to make out of this kit in terms of an overall assembly, painting and presentation scheme.
I have a construction project starting in about a month, so I’ll just be making a start on this over next few weeks, I expect this Mikasa will be with me awhile. 

A0DD2BF2-A69A-4383-9BB7-1CEA94BAF41F.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

16 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

We never tire of watching a Mikasa being built.

Yves

I’ll try not to muck it up, and keep it entertaining. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Nice and steady. You'll do fine. Like Yves said, we enjoy watching builds of ships from this era, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The ‘Pontos upgrade kit’ showed up today after making it through the Byzantine Canadian customs machinery and all their infuriating last century processes and handling fees. Great value is not the first thing that comes to mind when I look at what is there and it’s final cost, but I suppose there’s a limited demand factor at play here. 
So descent into the madness of super detailing can begin. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Since the goal here is a super detailed gem of an old imperial battleship, I think the first thing I will do is perhaps a little subtle texture on the lower hull. There’s lots of detail above the waterline but it’s featureless below. Some primer is now on but that will have to harden up a while before I can do much with it. In the meantime, I’m playing with the 6” guns. There are 14 of these that poke out through the hull. The kit already provides a very nicely done version. Pontos gives you the option of going to the trouble of cutting off the perfectly good plastic barrel and replacing it with a smaller brass one.
I see two good options here. Option 1 is the most sensible, and is to just go with the kit as-is and airbrush everything with the gun installed on the hull, which I think will look excellent. Option 2 is to do the Pontos brass barrel replacement to possibly minimal benefit at the end of the day. So naturally that’s what I’ll do since it’s Covid year 3 winter and, like what else is there to do.  
I’ve left a short stub on the plastic to give the brass a little extra reach, which to me looks more like the real ship was. I’ve used my bluing process to chemically turn the brass into the subtle patina of an actual gun, as opposed to paint. So I will make these all up like this, but then I will have to install them after the hull is fully painted. This shouldn’t be a big problem since I don’t plan on fixing the deck down for ages yet. The photo below shows the two options, so you can be the judge if all this will be worth it. 

C24B3673-EB1B-4033-B280-B82839965642.jpeg

82D8D76F-7F8C-479E-9C4B-CAADF5142F89.jpeg

CC6FF1C8-3E35-4AC1-BC91-5EA7ACEF16DF.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

You've said you are super detailing this pre-dread. You've got the parts and the skills to swap these, so why not, Tim? The brass replacement is definitely finer in detail, but you as the builder are in charge of what version you use.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

8 minutes ago, Canute said:

You've said you are super detailing this pre-dread. You've got the parts and the skills to swap these, so why not, Tim? The brass replacement is definitely finer in detail, but you as the builder are in charge of what version you use.

Hi Ken. Thanks for comment, yes I’m going to be using most of Pontos, adapting some. it’s just an illustration of the quality of this base kit; a builder can make a really nice product even without the add ons. The upgrades are like a hundred extra little model kits in themselves.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Yes, that they are. I enjoy these pre-dreadnaughts. I have too many hobbies going and not enough display space. Keep up the good work.

Ken

17 hours ago, king derelict said:

The brass barrels look much nicer. It's a good choice and you added the brass neatly. I always seem to set mine at an angle.

Alan

Thanks Alan, you are so right about the angle. You get it perfectly straight, and then look at it at another angle, make another adjustment….and then repeat about 30 times until you realize you probably had it right the first time.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Progress:

Delay waiting for supplies, paint etc and due to various domestic duties but I’ve punched back in at shipyard now. The 14x6inch guns are all done and look mighty good I have to say. I’ve removed all the hull detail to allow for the Pontos upgrades, pre painted the base hull and finished with a satin acrylic topcoat to fix it. I will be applying most of the brass detail after bluing to add realism and retain a metallic patina. I’m hoping this will give the model an interesting texture and visual appeal, retaining all the Pontos complexity. I scribed the lower part of the hull to etch in a series of plates before painting, which I wanted to do in a white grey tone originally. Didn’t really care for how it looked, a bit too dramatic for my taste so I sanded it down and reluctantly went with the traditional red oxide. The plating is much more subtle now, although not sure it shows as well in photos as it is in reality. I’ve gone for a true black above the water for contrast with all the later fittings. It all looks a little stark at the moment but when all the detail and weathering goes on it will be a different kettle of fish. 
Kit Musings:

After looking through the Pontos box it all looks like a piece of cake and I should be launching this Mikasa by about mid century. My plan is to do most or all of the attachments on the hull, and then set that aside and work on the deck and superstructures, and only marry the two much later in the build. If any of the Mikasa alumni are reading this and know of a flaw in this strategy please let me know.

D443695E-4DE9-463A-983D-B5B9E2A39D4A.jpeg

DC85988D-09A6-4825-8251-275C20C5EBBE.jpeg

71FA55BB-52AA-4F6B-B65C-46F51166C049.jpeg

DDA950A9-2395-4287-97B5-F26AC61F83D5.jpeg

7CBB9B15-18DF-4699-BA5C-03C05300194A.jpeg

ECF59B65-0481-4483-A05A-BE783FBDBDBB.jpeg

EC8E207B-1041-4B20-B56F-D0DCC4DA58DA.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

59 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Will you be showing the meshed nets to protect the hull from torpedoes, deployed?

What kind of Pontos PE kit did you get?

Yves

Hi Yves, yes for sure, the upgrade has the net apparatus.

1E14EC03-555B-42A9-B6D4-0B16DBB25CFC.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Progress: Not a huge amount, but made a start on some of the photo-etch enhancement on the hull. Finished the portholes, ladders and various other fiddly bits (technical term). Colorizing the brass either gunmetal or aged bronze in most cases where it will lay against the black. I bronzed the portholes before install, with the overlaying bars black, although these are so small the distinction is barely visible to the naked eye. 
Kit musings: The PE is undeniably exquisitely manufactured. Bit of work to lay on the small stuff - all 120 or so portholes, ladder rungs, etc, but at the end of it all it’s not that big a visual impact unless you are a small rodent or maybe an owl. The Pontos illustrations don’t seem to bother with the portholes at all. 

FDA00EC3-6615-40EF-B5A6-F7D41FD29334.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Progress: Detailing the hull. This is not a two day project. 
Musings: I find on most modelling projects it takes a while to get in rhythm with what you’re up against and trying to achieve. I’m not there yet with Mikasa but starting to get a feel for where I’m going with her.

A5F946C7-F0FF-4ED3-93BD-28AAA16FC28B.jpeg

FBA7C972-60F2-448B-B07F-C70C9C4FD8BD.jpeg

C7F09A1E-A864-41ED-8534-C0BCFFADAD84.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Looking great Tim!  I've always loved the Mikasa.  I have the 1/700 Hasegawa kit with the Infini upgrade which I'll tackle sometime down the road.

On the PE guns, I think they are usually worth it as the barrels don't need to be drilled out unlike the kit plastic ones which need to be drilled out or thinned.  That's where you get your bang for the buck.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike - yes I’ve done those guns in brass and they will look great on install. The plastic ones in the kit are actually drilled though and looked “good enough” at the time. The kit as-is is good quality, not that I’ve gone anywhere near it the last week being now buried in micro PE work.

I cannot imagine your challenge at 1/700! I have enough trouble seeing detail on this 1/200 being more used to the larger scale of wood boats and such.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Progress: some more hull detail added, used a wash to darken it, which looks way better, and add visual interest/texture and definition between plate lines. Still much more work to do on that. It’ll be more subtle when finished, hopefully with the richness I’m looking for. Added a grey trim piece just below the black, and painted the deck trim grey, both to give more definition overall. I’ll play around with the hull a few more days then probably set it aside and begin on the deck for a change of pace. I’ll leave most of the weathering until later to tie it all together. 
Musings: my hat goes off to the PE enthusiast Swiss watchmakers out there. I’m good with doing it a while under the glass but after a day or two the tiny brass work gets a bit tedious to me, particularly if there isn’t a visible payoff. I suppose I’m just more at home with woodwork at present. I’ll probably do some PE editing on Mikasa, dispense with one or two things where it isn’t very visible or that different from the kit package after finishing. On the 4” fore and aft guns, for instance, I completed the Pontos upgrade on one, looked nice in my hand, installed it and realized the work is largely invisible. The brass props are nice, I aged them in gun blue for a few seconds just to take off the raw shine that wouldn’t work with the presentation I’m doing, repolished them with the dremel and painted the nacelles. I’m keen to get the 6” guns I finished earlier mounted in the hull I think it’s going to look sweet. 

78AE9EE9-680C-4598-8E7A-5C181EC85929.jpeg

6C09484B-47A6-4FB5-BBD4-ACF7C7875150.jpeg

F7038994-9D02-4A04-8280-FD8E5E5D467C.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Progress: Enough on the hull for now, I’m fairly happy with what I’ve got so it’s in the parking lot. Started on the centre section of the superstructure, which first requires application of the upgrade wood deck. It looks a bit involved, removing a lot of the embossing on the kit and then cutting out the wood deck in a complex pattern like some sort of circuit board. In fact it’s pretty straightforward, the plastic is easily modified with a sharp chisel, and my fur cutting knife makes short work of carving out the preprinted deck. I’ve tested the self adhesive and it seems to work well. After finishing fore and aft I just need to come up with a staining solution before laying it down. May get out the old weathering chemicals from my Fifie build again!

Musings: the Pontos set is a bit of a hide and seek proposition. The instruction sheets are fine for describing the fabrication and installs locally, but they put zero effort in giving you the big picture. At this price point, I expect better. Takes a while to sort it all out and I find it kind of irritating spending time on that as opposed to crafting pieces. I’ve used many of the brass details on the hull, but dispensed with all the bracket assemblies which attach at the top at various locations. I made up a few, painted and installed them and thought they looked terribly fussy from a design perspective so have replaced with sections of brass rod that look more battleship-like to me. 

3A0C8EBE-09FF-417E-9795-8A42548215D8.jpeg

BC8B0AA1-F429-4ED8-AC30-D99BD32FAF61.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

33 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

I see the Italeri FIAT 806 that you described in another thread. It feels lonely....

Yves

Haha good spot. yes actually I just moved all my big ship models upstairs to the den, so not much down in the basement. Fiat needs a better spot.  

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

09DA5F21-C814-4A35-A099-751B27F0DDD4.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Progress: Deck is on, easy process as it’s self adhesive. Toned it darker with some tannin I had left over from my Fifie alchemy. This will be the base wood colour, will be aging it later, probably after it is plastered with a million PE installs. Decided on a Medium Sea Grey for the superstructure, should all make sense when finished. Tried it on the first few bits.
Musings: Speaking of aging, so will I before this sea dragon is done. Speaking of PE, my psychiatrist says it’s safe to go back into the demon Pontos box tomorrow so long as I maintain her recommended drug regimen. 

26B4CCAD-4BCD-4DD7-8D61-72F167C76CA3.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Thanks Joe.

Progress: installing the Pontos replacement deck accessories, starting with the centre section. There are dozens of these little gems, hatch boxes or whatever. First part of the process is to turn the brass into gunmetal, then it’s a simple bending process in this instance. A couple of the Pontos replacements are the wrong size so reverted to the kit version in that instance.

3F0667E0-5E6B-40A8-A7AE-794001C6FDA3.jpeg

5869EB90-E47C-4720-90A2-0A02ACDA100D.jpeg

242DF334-9779-4246-9DC0-BB0066E78BC1.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Ok now that I have the microprocessor circuit board ready all I have to do is reinstall it and the photon torpedoes should be back on line. 

9D35F903-6FDB-4B1D-B7E8-C179E6E0F0E3.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Most of the deck level paraphernalia on. Lots of nice detail in the Pontos, although disappointingly nothing by way of an anchor upgrade. Got a load of 3” guns to fabricate and install before superstructure on the centre section. They look ridiculously finicky, would love to subcontract them out, but sadly I’ll have to get my ratline concentration mode turned on and suck it up. The kit provides rather cool looking gooseneck vents with PE grilles which look excellent. Pontos changes that to a truncated stack with a basic “X” outlet, which is less visually dramatic. Looked through a few Mikasa illustrations and decided a mix with goosenecks aft was an acceptable solution. 

AE89F827-DB99-4F29-BAC4-D3F4D5CA4751.jpeg

0A919841-D189-47CC-97F5-EE47943BE243.jpeg

A67784FA-0E4B-45B2-B75F-08455C791077.jpeg

93D65312-3FA2-46C9-8614-6F93B7086C66.jpeg

C77BF669-EABF-41E0-AEB5-F10EBCCBD88A.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Photo

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Coming along really nicely.  I like how the anchors are stored on this ship, cool look to it.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike. 
There are 16 - 3” guns that Pontos provides brass parts for. After preparing one and watching winter turn to spring as well as the eventual visibility on the ship when installed, I decided on a modified approach to the first eight, which are tucked under the centre deck. I replaced the plastic barrels on the kit guns with the Pontos brass, which is easy to do, and added a shield by modifying some of the PE from the base kit. It’s not exact but a reasonable facsimile of what the form of these guns were on the real ship, as helpfully illustrated by Jeff in his current build. 

BB1EE0E2-6C8E-4C8A-B1D8-A8532BCA348D.jpeg

37270624-FA55-4B41-9312-99AC4F7DA8AD.jpeg

667AA670-21C2-40CF-A94D-177D23B513FD.jpeg

DB070226-2336-4955-AAA5-D99BB0928502.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
photo update

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed