Hello from Down Under

Farmer

Hey, I'm 25, and a farmer from Australia, When I was a kid my grandfather used to build intricate wooden models, sadly he's no longer with us, but I do remember building a fishing trawler with him and if my memory serves me right it was the Mare Nostrum from AL, it was probably 14 years ago though so don't quote me, and being 10-11 when we built it, he obviously helped me out a lot! now I don't remember much about the build other than the joy of spending time with my Grandpa, and the model was lost in a move years ago. So I'm considering whatever boat i build next to be my first build, I used to build plastic model cars with my father as he's never had an interest in wooden ships, but me being a sailer and nostalgic, and now actually having a (relatively) quiet time on the farm this time of year I mentioned to my dad that I'd love to build another model ship, and reading and lurking around this forum and youtube I decided why not with my most recent project of re-doing the kitchen having been completed I should try it out, now for my birthday my dad gave me a gift card to the hobby shop in the city to buy myself a model kit to build. Now what to build I'm heading into the city this weekend and called them up to see what they've got, thinking I'd like to get the model shipways 3 stage learning kits that seem to be the most recommended by you guys on the forum to learn that the only carry AL kits and some Billings and Corel kits, so I had a look at what they've got and they recommended what they think the most beginner friendly kits they stock and they were the Mare Nostrum, Jolie Brise, Providence Whale Boat, Bon Retour or the Provencale.

Now I know most will recommend the 3 starters from model shipways but would any of these suit as a first model? (personally the Providence whale boat and the Bon Retour look the nicest in my opinion but if theyre going to be too difficult and cause me to just give up theres no point), as the only way i would be able to get it would be from the US and with our customs here being terrible with untreated wood and such, I'd be worried that it would never get to my door

Farmer, welcome to MSW. You've chosen a hard profession for yourself, I hope you prosper. Glad to have you aboard. 

2 hours ago, Farmer said:

When I was a kid

Welcome to MSW Farmer.  At 25 years old you are still a kid to most of us 😀

2 hours ago, Farmer said:

Now what to build I'm heading into the city this weekend and called them up to see what they've got, thinking I'd like to get the model shipways 3 stage learning kits that seem to be the most recommended by you guys on the forum to learn that the only carry AL kits and some Billings and Corel kits,

I know freight is an issue more than ever, but if you go with the three vessel series you will likely be hooked on ship modeling forever and you will learn SOOO much that will carry forward as you get into more complex models.    Look at the build logs again and note which brands are predominant.   There are good reasons. 

At least, before you go there, ask which specific kits they have and post again to get some feedback on those specific kits before spending your money.  Some may be great, others not good.

Again, welcome to MSW!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

It is true that the AL kits are not the most recommended kits around here, but that doesn't mean they can't be built. I believe the new AL kits include photo-illustrated instructions, and the kits you listed fit the criteria for beginner kits. If you click here, you'll find a list of all of the topics on our site that have been tagged with 'Artesania Latina' -- scroll through the list and look for build logs of the kits you're interested in to see what you'd be getting yourself into.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hi Welcome to MSW, the place to be!!!! 

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Farmer, welcome aboard.  You've received some very good advice.  I understand the model shipways starter kits are excellent for learning the basics, though I've never looked into them.  Everyone has their opinions, preferences and allegiances but the ultimate decision is yours.  I would like to suggest a few things for you to consider before you purchase your first kit.  First off, I believe you need to decide what type and/or style ship you like, which one grabs you and sparks your interest.  This goes a long way in maintaining enthusiasm during your build as you come across some difficulties and setbacks.  It's so much easier to throw in the towel when you're struggling over something you really don't have an interest in.  Once you decide on the type/style, then start looking at what is available in that genre as a beginner/starter kit, regardless of the kit manufacturer.  I say that because there is not a single manufacturer that fulfills every single demand of the modeler, whether it be selection, quality, customer service, instruction completeness/clarity, price, historical accuracy or what ever else.  Specialty sources are a different story.  You need to know that MSW is comprised of some of most knowledgeable, skillful and experienced builders in the world (but don't be intimidated, they're awesome folks and at one time were just like you - deciding what to build first).  And the icing on the cake is they are so eager to share their knowledge with others and to help you along anyway they can, sometimes I think they enjoy that more than actually building.  My experience has been there isn't a single topic they haven't been able to provide an answer.

After all that, my short reply is get what you want because you like it and want to build it (and is skill appropriate), not because somebody told you that is what you should get.  Once you decide what you're going to build I would suggest you check out all the build logs you can so you've got a better idea of what you can expect.  Start your own build log, not only for others to follow but for yourself, there's no better way to show your progress and provide information if/when you need help.  And if you do have problems/difficulties/setbacks, don't fret it since there is bound to more than a few of the 42,000+ MSW members who would be eager and more than happy to help you out.  Lastly, take your time, be patient and enjoy the voyage.  Look forward to following along your first build.           

Edited by Peanut6
grammar

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Welcome to MSW, Farmer.  You've received some excellent advise.   One suggestion is to look through the logs and see who's from Down Under and what kits they're building.  The import issue is an important one and they might have advise.    Also do some research on hobby shops there.  Some can and will order kits from manufacturers that they don't carry a stock for.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Excellent call Mark.  The "in stock" vs. "we can order" issue flew thru my mind but didn't make it to the keyboard.  That is exactly how I got my Jolly Boat, my preferred hobby shop told me that they could order anything from anybody.  The bit of research Farmer could do is the cost differential of purchasing thru a hobby store rather than buying directly from the manufacturer.  I'm aware of extra delays/taxes etc. in certain areas of the world, but I'm sure a 3rd party (hobby store) takes their cut as well. 

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW 

I really hope you find a subject to build! I certainly agree with the 'build something that peaks your interest' reasoning.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hello and welcome. Hobbytools.com.au sell some Model Shipway kits so it might be worth checking them out. They are based in Victoria. There is also modellerscentral.com an online store based in NSW. They have a wide range of kits and accessories from a good selection of different overseas companies so getting an kit from a store based here might be an easier way around the international postage and customs thing? It may not be the cheapest way though...?

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

G'day, Farmer. What part of Oz are you living in? Depending on the State there are various resources available. 

I can't help with the kits - I do scratch builds, so I don't know what kits are best/worst. But so long as you keep at it, you should be able to get through them (keeping in mind that everybody makes mistakes, so don't get discouraged by them, and wood is a very forgiving medium - you can often fix the mistakes).

And welcome to the wonderful world of ship modelling.

Steven

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW, Farmer. You’ll find quite a few of us Aussies here. Regarding first kit choice, you might take a look at the offerings from Vanguard models. Chris Watton (the owner/designer) is producing quality kits across a range of levels, including some nice designs specifically aimed at the beginner and ranging right up to more complex builds. His instructions are first class and you will find many build logs here to help you as well. Chris/Vanguard are also a sponsor of this site. Although they are UK based, you won’t have any issue with importing kits (other than the postage cost!).