Russian Su-33 Flanker D by CDW - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:72 Scale

CDW

Well, the lid painting is superb. Much better than the photo covers. One of my all-time favs, the P-40 family. The first kit I ever built as a 6 year old was a Flying Tiger P-40. And the USAF descendant unit (23rd Fighter Wing) is still aviating, flying A-10s at Moody AFB, Valdosta, GA.

Notice the blurry markings?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I have seen some builds of it Craig a partial I think at LSP yes ;)

Craig if this hits your bench lots of very useful info in the build on painting and things GWH got wrong minor but need to be addressed.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/92782-finished-132-great-wall-hobby-p-40-curtiss-hawk-flying-tigers/#comment-1337129

Edited by Javlin

2 hours ago, Javlin said:

I have seen some builds of it Craig a partial I think at LSP yes ;)

Craig if this hits your bench lots of very useful info in the build on painting and things GWH got wrong minor but need to be addressed.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/92782-finished-132-great-wall-hobby-p-40-curtiss-hawk-flying-tigers/#comment-1337129

Thanks for the link, Jav! I great reference for a future build.

Looking good. What's the black masking agent, something new from AMMO?

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

On 8/14/2022 at 12:12 PM, Canute said:

Notice the blurry markings?

It seems our Chinese friends are a little sensitive about displaying the Nationalist roundel, much like German kits are not allowed to include swastikas.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

I suppose.

Anyway, I'll wait patiently for this build.  Craig, that stuff looks like Silly Putty.

Ken

13 minutes ago, Canute said:

that stuff looks like Silly Putty.

Silly Putty is what we used for this type of masking in the old days before Blue Tack, and now AK getting into the act...

Very old idea... But it's the only way to do some styles camouflage...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

All too true. The digital schemes are the ones I can't quite grasp. Fantastic results when done right.

Ken

Just now, Canute said:

I suppose.

Anyway, I'll wait patiently for this build.  Craig, that stuff looks like Silly Putty.

No, it's not silly putty. Harder, firmer, and a completely different feel to it.

I vaguely remember modelers trying silly putty for masking decades ago, but it seems like there was a residue issue involved with using silly putty as a mask if I remember correctly.  

21 minutes ago, CDW said:

there was a residue issue involved with using silly putty as a mask if I remember correctly.  

Oh yes, and the oil formulation they used in it to make it pliable would attack some paints as well... The trick was to find an overcoat that put a hard shell over the paint... How do you think future became the hard shell overcoat of choice... {chuckle}

That's a part I also love about this hobby, the experimentation that goes on to find out what works...

Keep on truckin' brother, looks like it's gonna be another stunner when done...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

31 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Oh yes, and the oil formulation they used in it to make it pliable would attack some paints as well... The trick was to find an overcoat that put a hard shell over the paint... How do you think future became the hard shell overcoat of choice... {chuckle}

That's a part I also love about this hobby, the experimentation that goes on to find out what works...

Keep on truckin' brother, looks like it's gonna be another stunner when done...

I did a little research to find there remain modelers today who are using silly putty as a masking agent, so maybe it’s more viable than I thought. It’s been many years, many decades even, since I held any of it in my hands. Is it for sale in stores still? I saw it can be ordered from WalMarts website.

21 minutes ago, CDW said:

Is it for sale in stores still? I saw it can be ordered from WalMarts website.

Yep, not as widely as it was in the 60's but still available from Wal Mart, Amazon and Crayola who now owns the rights to it... (you can also find it in Dollar Tree from time to time) I no longer use it, opting for a Blue Tack derivative from Lock-Tite that leaves nothing behind....

Quote:

2 hours ago, Canute said:

All too true. The digital schemes are the ones I can't quite grasp. Fantastic results when done right.

Digital schemes are best done using computer generated, precut self adhesive painting masks. To me, it would be an exercise in self torture to try and cut my own masks for a digital Camo scheme. I suppose decals could be an alternative as well.

59 minutes ago, CDW said:

One of the things I would recommend, is to shoot the paint for a soft edge rather than a hard edge.

Absolutely! I second this technique for the same reasons... When you do a putty mask you shoot off the putty, not at it... Distance then dictates the sharpness of the edge allowing for the natural air current pattern to give you a soft edge... Distance determines how soft the edge is... Varying the size of the putty mask will also cause the softness of the edge to vary...

It's an excellent technique for getting a natural edge for those sprayed on patterns....

As Craig says don't allow the paint to collect against the mask, it will pull off with the mask if that happens...

Quote:

Or do it free hand.  These were done eons ago free hand using a Badger airbrush with a Fine tip. I didn’t like the hard lines camo, preferred the softer edge camo patterns. With some practice I got down to where it was fairly easy to do. These models are easily 30+ years old. This was pre wooden boat models for me.

Internet_20200404_152316_6.jpeg.59b7a500dff1f20bb8c4dc7d19dd6a65.jpegIMG_8053.JPG.61a18324af5b2ab5fcd12972df4b2c57.JPG.jpg.07bf5e467141bde89d11038e38d96e55.jpg

14 hours ago, CDW said:

I thought I had ordered a precut mask for this model, but later realized the mask I ordered was for a tank instead. Ordered it from Australia, same place that had the Su-33 mask I should have ordered. 🙄

B0064D9C-66AF-4D76-A0F9-D5F0A9EF2114.jpeg

Looks like you'll have do a tank soon Craig 😉😊

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

The Infini type A mask cutting template allows the modeler to precision cut small sections of masking tape that allow precise masking of little areas that require detail painting.

Using templates like this could allow a modeler to do complicated paint schemes such as the digital camo mentioned earlier in this thread. I still prefer a precut mask for something like that. Lazy.

810C2401-C372-4C79-B690-B8A6D6FE66C8.jpeg

948AB9FD-156F-4D03-A57A-B38695A9FB8F.jpeg