Russian Su-33 Flanker D by CDW - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:72 Scale

CDW

2 minutes ago, king derelict said:

I dunno Craig. It seems that most times I read your updates I find myself going off to buy something.

You have some great tips. Thanks

The Flanker is looking really nice

Alan

Alan

I actually bought the Infini template/s after watching another modeler paint the deck of a 1:700 warship using the smallest strips of masking tape to paint the individual planks in various wood colors. It came out so nice, I had to have one myself.

Amen. I've been looking at these things and I could see one or two of them finding their way to Casa Canute.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks to the wonders of Amazon the Type A turned up this morning. I had to play with it straight away and it works very well with Tamiya and blue tape. Definitely needs a new knife blade to get the best out of it. think its going to be great for masking decks and I have a Centurian tank that I want to do in the Berlin paint scheme and i think that will solve a lot of problems.

Of course now I'm thinking I need some of the others.

Alan

1 hour ago, king derelict said:

Of course now I'm thinking I need some of the others.

Alan

I use a number 11 surgical scalpel blade and that works perfect for me. Definitely a new blade. I have the small radius template as well. I think it’s the B template. I don’t see as much need for the other two. My next 1:700 scale warship decks will be painted as mentioned earlier, using the tape to simulate different color boards.

Craig if I am reading you right are you talking about the three color scheme derived from one color for decks?I have done two back in day like that that is some work it works but alot of taping and patience.I  in fact started the Eugen like that and bought the wood deck to go over it it's a long process.;)

Just now, Javlin said:

Craig if I am reading you right are you talking about the three color scheme derived from one color for decks?I have done two back in day like that that is some work it works but alot of taping and patience.I  in fact started the Eugen like that and bought the wood deck to go over it it's a long process.;)

Yes, that's the process. Tedious work but in the end looks fantastic.

I ordered the B and C mats from Sprue Brothers. I'm almost looking forward to masking something.

Of course you can't just buy a couple of things. That fixed shipping cost needs justifying. This is what happened a couple of weeks ago when I needed to restock with paints and there was a sale.

Alan

1619732166_RIMG1114(1025x1280).thumb.jpg.bcac2204eb4ad5b8022f9bce033d0825.jpg

Looks really sharp with that camo scheme - nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Such nice work  - really looking the part.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Brother, that is one of the best jobs of tonal masking I've ever seen, and the first using metallic's....

Very, Very well done...

And thanks for showing the proper technique... Not too many know how to do it correctly...

Very nice...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

Brother, that is one of the best jobs of tonal masking I've ever seen, and the first using metallic's....

Very, Very well done...

And thanks for showing the proper technique... Not too many know how to do it correctly...

Very nice...

Thanks EG. I learned that technique from a fellow modeler a few years ago. I should have mentioned the metallic colors used were lacquers. Alclad II and Mr Color. The Mr Color copper color was highly reduced to keep it somewhat translucent. Of course the Alclad colors are translucent straight from the bottle. One day I am going to try this technique using acrylics but on something scrap, first. Not sure about getting a translucent finish using acrylics.

I put on all the decals I intend to use on the airframe then applied some Solvaset. Will let them thoroughly dry before proceeding with panel lines detail. There remain a LOT of weapons needing detail painting and decals as well as the landing gear and doors. Fun 🤩 

4898BAE7-A8F3-410A-99CD-1DF3F521C3CA.jpeg

390EF20C-41FE-41CC-89A1-C6BA1BD36EF0.jpeg

D5B29ED4-3B10-4625-A7AA-4717BBD1B165.jpeg

34485D49-A6EA-4296-94F0-5A24E0EA94CC.jpeg

This is looking Superb  - you have brought all the detail out of what looks like an excellent kit.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

17 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

This is looking Superb  - you have brought all the detail out of what looks like an excellent kit.

OC.

Thanks OC

The ingredients for an oil panel line wash

7E573F94-1575-4EB3-9411-6C041649FCA8.thumb.jpeg.7005eba154ba04ad00aa391d60cace19.jpeg

Lightly dampen a rag with white spirits and give it all a good wipe down (in the direction of airflow)

945F3165-2C83-4686-A463-37AC51E05F7F.thumb.jpeg.fb8e730e89b493436ff4b8d99e77777b.jpeg

There are various products one could use to reduce artist oils for the panel wash, but here I chose lighter fluid. Besides being an excellent product to reduce the oil, it contains naptha which dries more quickly than other products such as white spirits. It's a builder's choice, whatever works well for you, use it.

Edited by CDW

Paint job and weathering were quite nicely done. Now, I want to see your loadout.:D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

43 minutes ago, Canute said:

Paint job and weathering were quite nicely done. Now, I want to see your loadout.:D

Thanks Ken. This being a naval fighter, it’s going to carry an interesting mix of air-to-surface missiles along with air-to-air and a data link pod. The Russians have the KH-59 cruise missiles, a slow, low flying missile, and the KH-31 hypersonic missiles designed to take out ships as well as ground targets. For air defense, R-77’s, R-27”s, and R-73”s.