Vickers Wellington Mk 1a/c by Realworkingsailor - FINISHED - Airfix - 1/72

4 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Although I foresee more fiddly bits with the landing gear and bomb bay doors, I’m too close to finishing to let something like that hold things up! 😁

Andy

Rock on!!!  Looking great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, everyone, for your continued kind remarks and likes!

She's got legs!

IMG_2078.thumb.JPG.7743ce15c3dc18c59dbe849b123ee4c3.JPG

IMG_2074.thumb.JPG.12e157fa891801d36f59ca3341f87325.JPG

IMG_2076.thumb.JPG.1f471800ace4664a8c1faa5531a9c94f.JPG

While the main landing gear struts are from the kit, the main wheels and tail wheel/wheel strut are aftermarket from Eduard/Brassin. There is no real difference between the resin and styrene tailwheel castings, but the main wheel replacements have the "Dunlop Aero" stamp on the sidewalls, whereas the kit supplied wheels don't. The main wheels themselves actually snap fit into the strut, so they can spin, but they include a flat spot to simulate the weight of the aircraft bearing on the tire.

IMG_2072.thumb.JPG.d31366e9f497446c36840bd8357a7a58.JPG

The left engine is just dry fit for the moment. I'm going to leave the remaining panel off to show off some of the parts, as if the ground crew had some work to do on the engine (probably some adjustments to the timing, as the distributor was located on the right side of the engine). I have a little touch up work yet to be done on the engine paintwork and the left engine can be glued in place. Following which I can begin working on the landing gear and bomb bay doors.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Looking  really  nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Look at that stressed skin detail in the last picture.... the oil canning is phantaboulous....

I'll tell ya, injection molding has come a long long way from when we started... 

Gorgeous airplane brother..... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just now, Egilman said:

Look at that stressed skin detail in the last picture.... the oil canning is phantaboulous....

I'll tell ya, injection molding has come a long long way from when we started... 

Gorgeous airplane brother..... 

Thanks!

No stressed skin on this old bird, just old-school doped fabric on a metal frame. The fabric was layer directly on the wing frames, whereas the fuselage had wooden battens between the fabric and the frame. One of the advantages of the Wellington design, there wasn’t as much weight given over to the plane construction, so it could carry a larger payload; the Mk 1c was rated for 4500 lbs of bombs.

Yeah, Airfix has done a great job with the detail in the mouldings, way better than the earlier offerings (I remember building their Wellington Mk III back in the ‘90s, there’s no comparison).

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

As always, thanks to everyone for their generously kind comments and continued "likes"! Not being a regular airplane model guy, it's reassuring to know I am at least doing this model a modicum of justice!

I have been intermittently busy these last few days, of course the pre-Christmas craziness does tend to interfere with model building. I've been slowly picking away at the landing gear doors. It has been an interesting challenge and I'm not totally sold that the Eduard parts are as good an upgrade as they could have been. There are a couple of issues, the first being the mounting isn't the strongest; a tiny tab on an thin flexible strip to hold the doors. Secondly, the instructions once again are not as clear as they could be. An interpreter of Egyptian hieroglyphics has an easier job of it. Eduard could at least add one or two detail shots to indicate that the little metal tab sits in an almost invisible tiny slot, and also clear up exactly how the annoying little strip is actually supposed to be glued to the underside of the nacelle. Finally, once again, someone didn't read the tape measure correctly, and the Eduard doors are too short to completely cover the landing gear bay opening. It's not too noticeable, if you didn't look too closely, but as the building, I know it's there. 

IMG_2079.thumb.JPG.dc1ac0f67ba47739dc9df97d8039b54f.JPG

Were I to do this model again, I would be more inclined to keep the kit supplied main landing gear doors and use some of the Eduard parts, specifically the interior framing to, up the detail level. Oddly enough, there were no issues with the tail gear doors.

IMG_2081.thumb.JPG.d2f62beef932f820811ea888087696f7.JPG

But there again, just three little tabs to hold each door in place.

The last major components to be assembled are the bomb bay and bomb bay doors. This has kind of brought the build full circle, as these were some of the very first parts I assembled way back when, and carefully stored away for when the time was right.

IMG_2082.thumb.JPG.710741e387b6aae69ede25ac2d551436.JPG

The bomb beams were slotted into place perfectly after the cases for the buoyancy bags were installed. I had hoped to have things wrapped up by Christmas, but I have run into another of those annoying snags. This time, I've run out of aluminium paint. *sigh*. Not sure why that is, as there really wasn't a lot of the plane that colour (compared to the amount of black, brown and green paint I used). As usual, supplies have run out when I was in the middle of painting the bomb bay doors. Looks like I will have to put in another order for supplies, but I won't be doing that until after Christmas. Too much going on and I need to spread the holiday bills out a little bit! 🤪

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks everyone for the “likes”!

I’ve been thinking about the landing gear doors. As I alluded to earlier, I’m not entirely satisfied with the Eduard replacement parts. I think I’m going to follow my own advice. Luckily I don’t throw out anything, especially “spare” parts:

917B10E1-02D1-499A-ADD2-22CEBCABEAC7.thumb.jpeg.b01bbf5c8c7b5fc706eb7b62dac52f25.jpeg

It’s always a challenge, especially with that little gremlin who loves to gobble up small parts, especially the ones that fly off in all directions (or roll off the work bench), but I’ve got all the original parts. I will definitely lose the fine cross section of the brass PE parts, but I think it’s a fair trade for more securely attached parts, as well as ones that will actually appear to fill the openings.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

• 4 weeks later...

she's really coming along nicely Andy!  did the kit supplied tires have the weight squat?  kind of Ironic if they did...........to be moveablewith a flat spot would be a bit weird  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 minute ago, popeye the sailor said:

she's really coming along nicely Andy!  did the kit supplied tires have the weight squat?  kind of Ironic if they did...........to be moveablewith a flat spot would be a bit weird  :D 

Thanks!

Yeah, the kit supplied wheels did have the flat spot too, although I really don’t think Airfix designed them to be free rolling, it’s just a happy coincidence that they could be. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

• 3 weeks later...

I was feeling a little guilty for having neglected this build (thanks @AJohnson 🤪!), I figured I had better get on with it and get my Wellington finished, or at least on the path to being finished. Then I can get after my Defiant build with a clean(er) conscience! 😁

The bomb bay doors are going to be a bit of a slow process. There are 30, in total, almost identical looking doors that have to be bent, glued so they don't unfold like an accordion, and installed in the correct sequence, in the correct location. I'm just in the process of gluing up the first door. Oh, how much fun this is going to be! But it must be done. Previously I prepainted the doors on the PE fret, as masking and painting after installation would only have resulted in tears. As it is, there will be some slight touch up needed around the fold points, but not a wholesale re-paint.

IMG_2185.thumb.JPG.ab539ea68fcc311fd7810e76b3298773.JPG

Proof of life, this build is still active!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

A little progress to report: 19 of 30 doors have now been installed. It's a tedious process, and a little finicky, but it's progress. Along the way, I discovered an error in the Eduard instructions; two runs of doors had their numbers reversed, luckily this error makes itself apparent very quickly, and it was able to be remedied with no further consequences. For anyone else who's building this model, the numbers for the inboard doors for the outboard bomb bay need to be swapped (ie what the instructions show as the left side doors are actually for the right side, and vice versa). Also the instructions say these inner doors would have a slight curve, but based on prototype photos, these doors should not be.

Anyway, some pictures of the progress so far:

IMG_2191.thumb.JPG.8217a388750e5e6cb7cae9293a6126f4.JPG

The most tedious bit was doing the double row of doors on the closest (in the above photo) bomb beam. Thankfully from here on out, the doors are only in single rows, things should go much quicker.

IMG_2192.thumb.JPG.aa4ee51e7591e67d94cdb1691c261ccf.JPG

All the doors will need to be adjusted slightly to their final positions, so the runs don't look so disjointed, but that will wait until after all the doors are installed.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Loving the detail in that  bomb bay.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks OC and Andrew, glad to have your kind feedback. If anyone else were to build this model, I would recommend this one upgrade kit over all the others, in terms of how much the appearance is improved (after that, I would suggest the engine upgrade!).

Steady picking away, and the last doors have now been installed! First a quick in progress shot after getting the fourth run of doors installed earlier:

IMG_2194.thumb.JPG.e015cf0ca526e13c242b04bff0398642.JPG

Followed by a couple of shots of all the doors installed:

IMG_2199.thumb.JPG.631ce6d5f5ef56a4f22c4d19eaa425f0.JPG

IMG_2200.thumb.JPG.ccc7ba596346d8ccf290091fcb508f5a.JPG

Once the CA has had a chance to fully cure, the doors will be gently coaxed to their final open position, and the runs streamlined somewhat. Afterwards, a quick touch up of silver paint on the areas where there was some paint loss due to the Eduard origami, and a shot of Dulcote to seal everything. The end is now rapidly drawing into sight as only a few remaining fragile bits are left to install, as well as swapping out the cockpit canopy. This was the last major assembly hurdle to be cleared.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

42 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

The end is now rapidly drawing into sight as only a few remaining fragile bits are left to install,

Turning out stunningly beautiful, in an engineering sort of way....

The future of modeling.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Let me first start off by once again offering my gratitude to all those who've been following my build and all those who left such nice comments and likes. Thank you all so very much!

Well, for all intents and purposes, I think it's safe to say this build is done. Not 100% finished, as one day I will plan a small diorama around this model and there are a few details that will remain in storage until that point, but all other construction is finished! Hooray!

After a final shot of Dulcote, the masks have all been removed to reveal a bunch of more or less clear windows (whew!). The sacrificial canopy was also removed and for the first time in a few months all the cockpit detail was once again visible. A large part of the interior remains just visible through the over-wing windows, so my efforts are not entirely lost. 

Rather than getting too long winded, I'll just post a bunch of photos for you all to enjoy!

IMG_2208.thumb.JPG.4f41ec48e867111cefd8d0623ae52c6a.JPG

IMG_2209.thumb.JPG.6243e3411d6acd7b1dd9f4c4151696b2.JPG

IMG_2211.thumb.JPG.dc4bd3bbe348dadcebed4ded5c43a599.JPG

IMG_2213.thumb.JPG.89b04f2992c52547e6fdfadfd1fc7670.JPG

IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.fa8d2594f1b8dd3d3779fdd8911565cd.JPG

IMG_2217.thumb.JPG.00d0f4bbfedf7cbe326f8bac2d9eaef3.JPG

IMG_2219.thumb.JPG.754079ee7cb208dcc87cd5d9d681ba82.JPG

I am please how most things turned out, Airfix has produced a nice model, that can built out of the box and will achieve a very satisfactory result. The PE and resin upgrades were not without their challenges, but I think the results were worth it. Apparently Airfix will be re-releasing the Mk Ia/c later this year with new markings, so the kit should be readily available on the market again soon, although for Merlin fans, the Mk II is still in plentiful supply. For anyone interested in doing a bomber, but lacking the space to do a Lanc, this is a great option.

Hopefully I'll see you all over at my Defiant build!

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Very nice Wimpy Andy, the bomb doors look really good.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 2 months later...

Nice to see that, although it looks like they’re not sure which version of the aircraft they want to display. Built as a Mk X, from the factory it wouldn’t have had the long over wing windows, but it would have had the triangular waist windows (for an observer/gunner). It was later converted to a Mk T10 training aircraft (I believe specifically for navigation training), and the over wing windows were added (and the waist windows removed). Seems fair enough, but at the time of conversion, they also removed the nose turret, which the restoration seems intent on replacing (according to the article).
🙄

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy