Drinking from the firehose

USCGDave

Hi all, 

New to the forum and to the ship modeling world. I retired in 2018 after 27 years on active duty in the U.S. Coast Guard. I then spent a few years as a lead mechanic in a Maine woodturning mill before fully retiring this year, though I still do a lot of backcountry search and rescue work on our county’s technical rope rescue team.

I live on an 11.5 acre property near the 45th parallel in the western Maine mountains. Fortunately, there was a great workshop space on the property. I’ve been slowly renovating that space (a 30x13 single car garage that is now a full time hobby workshop.) All I have left to do is to build some insulated carriage doors and add climate control. In the meantime, I am making a small temporary shipyard in the house to start down this cool rabbit hole of ship modeling. 

I haven’t yet selected a first model, but am leaning toward the Model Shipways three kit skill builder set. I also have a MS Phantom NY Pilot boat solid hull kit and for some years down the road a used MS USS Constitution kit which surprisingly still had a complete inventory. Of course the previous owner had started and failed at the center keel step. I managed to carefully separate the three center keel pieces and it looks like I can salvage that and the two broken and patched bulkheads. But, that’s a kit for another time. 

Anyway, just saying hi and hoping to learn everything I can from all of you. 

Here’s a photo of the Constitution kit I scored. Even came with a tote full of balsa and basswood scrap.

3E5AA508-752D-4564-8AB7-467A69C1E900.thumb.jpeg.87b04f9ae2358fe682fcbbaa39f076a7.jpeg

After inventory, I found all the parts were there, but three were damaged or poorly done.

607BD5DC-74CF-4D65-91E3-51D937CEB426.thumb.jpeg.efa66943aa50f53d0cd57d628b798ab1.jpeg

Though I’m not starting with the Constitution, I did want to see if that center keel would be salvageable. Careful cutting with an exacto blade separated the three keel pieces. Some file work and it appears as though I can salvage this kit just fine.

AC44724A-14AB-447A-824A-C56FD2081B5E.thumb.jpeg.50be2bd82358a6b376bc3cf8d5eff91e.jpeg

Welcome! You will find all the help you will ever need here.

Starting with the Model Shipways series is a great way to go, I wish I had done it.

You may also want to consider the half hull model offered by the Nautical Resaerch Guild to get a good grasp of hull planking.

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Hi Dave, careful its a deep hole Lol. There are a lot of people here who will help just ask, they are more than willing to help. Most of all have fun:sign:

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

6 hours ago, USCGDave said:

am leaning toward the Model Shipways three kit skill builder set

I second the motion.  Every newbie would be well served to start with this three vessel series.  Not only will it give you useful experience in the build, but will teach you what to watch for in future kits if you go the kit route or even help you with scratch building techniques if you choose to join the many members hanging out on the dark side.   

Welcome to this motley crew.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks all,

it is definitely a deep hole, but coming at it with a bit of woodworking experience both at home and in a commercial shop, I’ll hopefully be able to take those processes and tackle them in miniature. 

The shipwright series of kits is on the Christmas list so we’ll se where I end up starting. The good thing is that working at a commercial mill gave me a good background in reading plans/schematics and then developing the jigs and process for creating parts. 

:piratebo5:Dave and welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hi Dave!  Welcome aboard.  :cheers:

Before getting philosophical, a suggestion.  You mentioned "Careful cutting with an exacto blade separated the three keel pieces. ".  If the parts were glued with wood glue these can easily be separated by soaking the joints in rubbing alcohol (cotton balls or Q tips work for me) for a bit, then separating with  the exacto.

Drinking from a firehose, indeed.  A big newbie problem is coming aboard wanting to build a scratch built, fully framed HMS VICTORY or USS CONSTITUTION.   They are quickly overwhelmed.  It looks like you have chosen the more reasonable path of starting small and learning the 'trade'.  I have found that even experienced wood workers learn new things when dealing with bendy-curvey hulls and compound curved planking. 

Read build logs of ships you are working on and ones you may work on...and ones that interest you.  I have found valuable info from logs having nothing to do with the model I am working on.  Use the archives and ask questions.  That 'stupid question' you might be afraid to ask...we probably all asked it at some point.  You don't learn if you don't ask.

Don't be afraid to pull apart things that are not right.  Errors compound.  Wood is forgiving and easy to come by.

Have fun!!  There will be times of frustration when things don't work out (at least for me there were) but think it through and it will work out (usually).  :default_wallbash:

And remember, you can never have too many clamps.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome aboard Dave. In addition to checking out other build logs of the kits you are working on, get a notebook and take notes for future reference. There is close to a million years of kit building knowledge here for the finding. Don't limit your build log reading to just the ships you are interested in, read others and the NRG Resources, YouTube also has some good videos if you are more of a visual learner. Above all else have fun, if something has got you frustrated or stuck take a break and come back to it.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Chuck, I wish that Constitution keel had been glued with simple wood glue. It was more than likely done with foaming gorilla glue, which expanded the joints and caused huge gaps. But, those gaps made it easy to slip a blade in without hitting wood. Then I took a sharp chisel and carefully pared away the remaining foamed glue. But you’re definitely right about it not being the first build. I’ll be going way more modest than that and then working up to it. 

thanks all for the welcome. Been spending a whole lot of time reading all the articles in the library. 

Edited by USCGDave
Bad grammar

3 hours ago, USCGDave said:

Chuck, I wish that Constitution keel had been glued with simple wood glue. It was more than likely done with foaming gorilla glue,

Dave,

A lesson in and of itself.  You will find many discussions here regarding glues.  IMHO superglue has its place but wood glue is best.  Others disagree.  Not sure ANYBODY likes foaming gorilla glue.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Welcome to the party!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome Dave. You’ve found the Good, the Better and The Best for all model ship making serious fun.
Questions? Fire away!

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave. Welcome aboard!

On 11/24/2022 at 1:29 PM, Chuck Seiler said:

Don't be afraid to pull apart things that are not right.  Errors compound.

Chuck's advice is spot on.  I learned the hard way during my first build that pressing on isn't the answer - errors don't get better with time.

Ken

Current Build

HM Alert - 1777 - Vanguard

Next Build

Fair American - Model Shipways

Completed Builds

18TH Century Merchantman Half Hull Planking Kit - NRG

San Juan Felucca - OcCre