I wanted to start a topic dedicated to a software tool that I wrote to automate the downloading of MSW threads into a merged PDF. A few words of caution before getting into the details and descriptions - I've developed this in my spare time with somewhat limited access to different operating systems and computers (a.k.a - limited testing). I can't guarantee that it is completely bug free but it has been working for me over the past few days. 

The GitHub page is located here: https://github.com/VTHokiEE/msw2Pdf with the releases and a readme attached. I might eventually load the source code, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Currently,  I don't recommend running this on a Mac (OSX) yet simply because you have to change permissions and allow internet downloads to execute and it is simply not the user experience that I'm hoping to a achieve. I'm currently working towards a prettier user interface and app packaging so that the deployment and usage is easier all around but as this is a spare time thing I didn't want to hold it up.

Direct download link for windows: https://github.com/VTHokiEE/msw2Pdf/blob/main/releases/msw2Pdf-win.exe

Motivation and Features

• Automate the creation of a single merged PDF from a multiple page thread without opening, printing each page to PDF, and then merging the documents.

Requirements

Chrome browser

Usage

Both Windows and Mac require the executable to be run from the command prompt (Windows) and terminal (Mac).  Once the cmd prompt or terminal is launched navigate to the location of the executable and run it as noted below. Please note - do not include anything after the numbered topic name portion of the url (eventually I'd like to add more flexibility here - it is very much a work in progress).

• Windows:

msw2Pdf-win.exe <url>

• Mac OSX

./msw2Pdf-macos <url>

Examples

Note: The current release requires the format of the url to be https://modelshipworld.com/topic/<topic>/

Troubleshooting

Could not find the Chrome browser

Please verify that Chrome is installed on your computer and is located at one of the following locations

• Windows:

'C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe'

'C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe'

• Mac (OSX):

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome

Todo

• Create a user interface instead of utilizing the command line
  • Allow users to enter the location of Chrome if installed in a different directory
  • Allow users to select the save location for threads
  • Allow the user flexibility in copying the target url

Feel free to give it a try and let me know what issues you have. I can't promise that I'll be able to incorporate them all, but I'll see what I can do.

Big Update - We finally have a GUI (big smile) and learned that I need to pay to sign my applications (sad face). The work around is relatively simple on Windows 10, but I haven't found a way to get around this on a Mac (OSX) without going to the terminal (if you are using a Mac and wish to be daring feel free to skip to the bottom for the download link and then check out the directions - they are similar). I may play around with it a little more (or resign myself to paying the $99 for a year's license to sign the application if enough Mac users are interested).

Updates in this release:

• Graphical user interface
  • Less restrictions on URL selection
  • Ability to cancel a backup

Current Future wishes:

• Add location to save pdf
  • Add ability to set location of chrome
  • Speed up backup cancel
  • Sign my applications (Full disclosure: It costs around $100 per operating system, aside from Linux, to get a certificate and as I'm not trying to make any money off this I'm not certain that I want to take this expense on).

Now on to the picture guide to hopefully help everyone who wants to make use of this tool.

Pre-requisite (Windows):

I have had a beta tester tell me they needed to install Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable in order to run the application on Windows. You can find it here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

Windows download link: https://github.com/VTHokiEE/msw2Pdf/raw/main/releases/msw2Pdf-win.zip

Step 1: Download the zip archive

image.png.3360707cf97a260eecd54a03b4d94632.png

Step 2: Extract the zip archive

2031056756_Screenshot(21).png.c67ca940b692f805eff0fa05a8e4e126.png

image.png.a23dbb1be9164192fc624ac6aa6153f2.png

Step 3: Open the folder if it did not automatically open and execute msw2Pdf.exe

1591291059_Screenshot(23).png.0a94fa77bd27b27e9f247b0fca5e2c75.png

Step 4: Allow program execution

As I mentioned previously my application is not signed so Windows will warn you that this application is potentially dangerous and recommends you not run it. I can understand if you wish to stop here because of the warnings but if you wish to proceed here goes nothing.

1164762941_Screenshot(24).png.7bf9db91371f0faeed65a631e50cbe6e.png

Select "More info" and then run anyway - I wonder if I can add my username to the publisher (I need to look into that when I get a chance).

1985526632_Screenshot(25).png.8f4396b6e5f228248814bcb89a0b58fa.png

Now the program has officially launched.

1797586104_Screenshot(26).png.f30f31c211d753d8df6d3292d37acd8c.png

Step 5: Copy build log URL

Navigate to your desired build log, select the entire url, right-click and press Copy. As long as the URL contains: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/<topic>  you should be fine (🤞)

1844949223_Screenshot(28).png.00799c86081030e882bc972973caae2e.png

Step 5: Paste build log URL into the tool and generate the PDF

Right-click in the text box and press paste

246302706_Screenshot(29).png.6bfa502061b3693181af69ad08f5534b.png

Then press the "Create PDF" button

2107327166_Screenshot(30).png.df0994c843397e198a52889d6c7f0350.png

The download has begun! At this point if you realized that you choose the wrong log you can press cancel (it takes a few moments) to cancel and select another log or press exit to stop the program and halt the download as well.

996005422_Screenshot(31).png.5022c5c457a61508c4f9968e92294f0d.png

Each page can take a little while to download as a PDF depending on the number of images in the page.

1482524349_Screenshot(32).png.0e5e4accab97f1f70744b87af4681c31.png

Everything has finished and the pdf has saved in the same folder that msw2Pdf.exe was run from.

784840639_Screenshot(33).png.5676664c470035d8429c002c0c229014.png

1051896928_Screenshot(34).png.6ec5442a428ec8d3d4ef6cf2eca65fa0.png

I hope that you all find this program useful. I apologize for the lack of signing but if there is enough interest I'll start saving my pennies 🙂 for the developer certificates. Please let me know if you run into any issues and I will try to resolve them as best as I can.

Mac (OSX) Users 

I warned you, but feel free to follow along here.

Location of msw2Pdf dmg: https://github.com/VTHokiEE/msw2Pdf/raw/main/releases/msw2Pdf.dmg

Step 1 (OSX): Download the .dmg

image.png.7a9f373a4253152bed069d2e6f4527f5.png

Step 2 (OSX): Mount the .dmg and move the msw2Pdf application to desired folder

Double click on the .dmg to mount it

image.thumb.png.43a1dff0fb74aa35028e6e8883dd801e.png

Drag and drop msw2Pdf to desired folder.

image.png.e8b10f1084bf3d9ee05e645e6757a354.png

Eject the .dmg by clicking the eject button in the explorer side pane

image.png.39075cad0584eabc8abb32dac8b18746.png

Step 3 (OSX): Attempt to run the application

I'll reiterate that this won't work because the application isn't signed

image.png.af4e2a7afd0fa6b40fe70847c232b563.png

Step 4 (OSX): Open terminal and remove the gatekeeper flag

This is accomplished by navigating to the directory of the application and running the following command. I re-iterate that if you are not comfortable with the terminal please stop.

sudo xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine ./msw2Pdf.app

image.png.015c694dd89a55a679893931d133cb4e.png

Step 5 (OSX): Now open the msw2Pdf app

Now when you double click on the application it should launch.

image.thumb.png.898c28a1a337bef1efa96e9cfbdf5f15.png

image.png.fe549fd892ecf5a0b4c2b43a9d3a5ce0.png

Good luck!

Edited by VTHokiEE
Forgot to add .dmg link

Thank you so much  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

You're welcome @Knocklouder please let me know if you have any issues. I really hope this is useful for the community.

As a note, I went and downloaded a reasonably large build log (59 pages) and the tool created a 391MB pdf. A brief click through looks like most everything loaded up and was saved properly (a few links to other build logs may have had an issue with loading images in the generated links) overall I think it was not bad results for letting it chew on the build log in the background.

Edited by VTHokiEE

Big thanks to @Knocklouder (and son) for providing some beta testing for me. It looks like you may need to install Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable to run on Windows. I have added this note as a pre-requisite with the link to Microsoft in the above entry.

I will try to do some testing with a “clean” version of windows next week (🤞) to see if there are any other bugs. I’m not exactly a software developer but I make do in a pinch 😂

• 3 weeks later...

This looks great, but I’m all Apple. I know they don’t make it easy for developers but I’ll wait and hope you get an iOS version you’re comfortable with, don’t trust myself at the terminal level. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

It runs and can be installed using Microsoft "Edge" too. I am currently running it in the AVG Secure Browser . Doesn't take long at all to create the pdf.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

• 11 months later...
On 1/13/2023 at 3:19 PM, VTHokiEE said:

please let me know if you have any issues

Hi VTH
what a brilliant idea.

so I downloaded the program ( GUI Version ) it runs and says its finished and the pdf has downloaded but there is no sign of the file?

Even search of the whole machine does not turn it up?

running Windows 10, chrome is installed in correct folder.

any ideas?

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

On 1/6/2024 at 1:20 PM, oakheart said:

the pdf has downloaded but there is no sign of the file?

Hi there, sorry to hear about your issues I'll try to take a look into it and see if we can figure out what is happening. I will send you a direct message for more details.

Posted (edited)

I just tried your tool, and wow, nice work, this is very handy!   Good way to archive your own threads in case the unthinkable forum crash were to happen, but even better I can pull down one or more past build threads when I'm doing the same subject for reference without having to go into the forums for each new look.   Kudos and Thanks!

FYI, my PDF landed in the same folder as the app .exe 

Edited by rlwhitt

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 1:20 PM, oakheart said:

says its finished and the pdf has downloaded but there is no sign of the file?

Small update - oakheart helped me debug an issue (thank you!) where the PDF creation was taking longer than the timeout value specified and did not actually create the file.  I have updated the releases to incorporate the change.

Apologies that I still haven't gotten around to getting the releases signed - life can be unexpected and full sometimes.