Pelican 1943 by FriedClams - 1:48 - Eastern-Rig Dragger

Greetings fellow modelers.   Thank you for your comments and likes!

Here's a short update.  The hull has been cut away from the station form extensions using a 1.25” diameter circular saw chucked into a Dremel rotary tool.  This is a somewhat dicey procedure because the rotating blade is just looking for an excuse to hop from the cut and remove a chunk of sheer strake instead.  But a strong grip on the tool keeps a pinched blade from jumping and makes quick work of the task at hand.  However, I do not recommend this method to sensible modelers.

P6-1-Copy.thumb.jpg.c8f272274d94b84de152159ab5dbf01c.jpg

P6-2-Copy.thumb.jpg.2e802ae415947f82d0efe6b6a72bd1f0.jpg

Even though the hull planks were edge glued to each other, I decided to add reinforcing card strips between the station forms, which I glued into place with breathtaking amounts of CA.  Finally, I “painted” the entire interior with a 50/50 water/PVA solution to resist warping caused by humidity swings.

P6-3-Copy.thumb.jpg.ddeab56253b1f2b98bad0159ffeaa4f7.jpg

In the previous post I pointed out a few hull planks that were recessed - not flush with the adjacent planks.  I used wood shavings to build them up and then sanded them back.

P6-4-Copy.thumb.jpg.487edb63ca18c750f70d92069bc10f48.jpg

P6-5-Copy.thumb.jpg.cfd0e657514ddc82c361344878bd1cab.jpg

Also, I removed material from the lower hull planks at the keel and stern post.  These planks previously stood proud and are now flush.  A shout-out to John, Andy and Håkan for clearing this matter up for me.  Being primarily a model builder with a secondary interest in boats/ships, my understanding of boat construction at the nuts-and-bolts level on anything larger than an open boat is a bit sketchy.  The knowledge base and ready willingness of MSW members to help, inform and encourage has made every model that I've built on this forum better and more accurate because of that input.  Thank you!

P6-6-Copy.thumb.jpg.f4c7b0e338822ebc2695b52734e82ea0.jpg

More hull filing/sanding and cleaning up is still needed.  And I've done nothing yet to finish the backbone assembly. 

P6-7-Copy.thumb.jpg.34105ad125d3540543ee56ba606adda1.jpg

P6-8-Copy.thumb.jpg.360e925f16c20339e3f13962511a6fb2.jpg

P6-9-Copy.thumb.jpg.2c630c3f3d596ebea9e635becae1266a.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Be safe and stay well.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Gary, thank you for showing your planking techniques both inside and out. She is looking great!

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

It has an intriguing hull form with the bulbous section just aft of the center. 

Nice planking and sanding.

Keep it up!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks guys, for the kind comments, it's so appreciated.  Also for the likes.

On 3/8/2024 at 3:27 AM, Wintergreen said:

It has an intriguing hull form with the bulbous section just aft of the center. 

It does - and it seems a practical matter of finding a spot for the engine room and 3,000 gals of diesel.  The fish hold takes up about 16'5" (500cm) of prime real estate right out the center of the hull.  But, I still think she's a handsome girl.

P6A_-Copy.thumb.jpg.19013564e3409f21a6382c718c685482.jpg   

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

It’s funny - I was wondering at the necessity for the card re-enforcements, but then I got a better sense of the scale with your arm in one of the previous shots.  This is a fairly large hull.

As always - great progress, Gary.  Hull looks sweet!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

16 hours ago, Retired guy said:

Like the drawing, also like they have dimensions on it to, 

Yes, the drawings are detailed in some respects and vague in others.  They are copies of the designer's originals that were used in the construction of three individual boats.  The intended users of these drawings were professional boat builders and consequently exhaustive details are not offered.  Details that a modeler would love to see. 

16 hours ago, Retired guy said:

are you going to make the engine :)

This question stings because I agonized over the decision to not build this boat in a larger scale with one side of the hull fully exposing the entire below deck arrangement.  Fully framed with every possible detail shown.  But I chickened out, so no, there'll be no need to build the engine.  Thanks Richard.

3 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

This is a fairly large hull.

Yes, the boat is about 79' and in 1:48 that's just under 20".  Not huge by any means, but the largest boat I've built.  Thanks Marc.

And thank you Rick for the nice comment.

Gary    

Completed Scratch Builds

On 3/12/2024 at 3:59 PM, FriedClams said:

I agonized over the decision

Can understand this Gary. However on a future build you should go for it - I have a feeling you would do an outstanding job!

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful looking hull Gary. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 1 month later...

Greetings Fellow Modelers

After a busy month with little time for modeling, I've finally begun work on the fish hold of this dragger.

But first, please allow me a quick diversion.

The path of the recent solar eclipse tracked over Maine on a day when there was barely a cloud in the sky.  My wife and I traveled several hours north on country roads to get close to the center of totality.  A total solar eclipse is such an astronomical coincidence that it's hard for me to get my head around it. That from a moving 100-mile diameter shadow on earth, two spheres appear to be the exact same size because one being 400 times larger is 400 times farther away, and that they line up precisely with the smaller sphere blocking all the direct light of the larger while leaving the entirety of its corona visible.  Perhaps I'm a simpleton, but I find this extraordinary.  To be honest, I thought this was going to be an interesting but ho-hum visual event, but when it went dark and I took off the glasses to see where the sun had gone, I was mesmerized.

I had a DSLR mounted on a tripod with 200mm of lens.  I promised myself beforehand to enjoy the experience and not spend the few minutes of totality tinkering with camera settings.  So, I preset the camera and hoped for the best - manual focus, aperture priority, exposure bracketing, cable release and crossed fingers.  I pushed the cable release quite a few times without ever looking at the results.  Later, I found most were completely blown out and a few were just terribly overexposed.  But I'm not disappointed.

SEP7-2-Copy.thumb.jpg.002c1aa70053b173dc620bda68a91741.jpg

SEP7-1-Copy.thumb.jpg.b7c10b1db24e81d6f7022a8788e5c189.jpg

The lens flare image below is my favorite.  A lousy eclipse photo, but an interesting image just the same – kind of surreal.

SEP7-3-Copy.thumb.jpg.8bb442972f20377a281cb33f8a38f674.jpg

Fish Hold

My decision to display the boat with the hatches open and maybe a bunker plate or two, requires that the entirety of the hold be modeled as I can't predict what will be visible through each opening and view angle. Mainly that view will be small fragments of individual bunkers and planked partitions, so this modeling will be on the quick and crude side.

Before I started in on that, I first washed the hull exterior with India ink/alcohol to give it a little age. About 2 parts ink out of a hundred. I've yet to decide on how the hull will be painted/weathered, but this small amount of coloring doesn't narrow my options, and the alcohol tends to remove shiny sanding spots and helps to unify the overall look – at least to my eye.

P7-1-Copy.thumb.jpg.6209b043e288e6c661398816bd25cc6a.jpg

I then penciled on the water line. I placed the hull back onto the base and used a squared scrap of construction lumber with a pencil glued to it.

P7-2-Copy.thumb.jpg.eda325e328922514fc84c63ff8e74ace.jpg

The fish hold uses up almost 17' (5.1m) of hull length. The area is partitioned off into 20 individual bunkers/pens as shown below in the top-view drawing. The pens with green dots hold the ice/fish and the red dot areas do not. The blue dots are the stationary posts that hold the wood slats which make up the partitioning. The four pens in the center over the keel functions as a walkway but can also be partitioned to hold ice/fish.

P7-3-Copy.thumb.jpg.65b230be53215a299b430b372367efc2.jpg

Shown below is the lower half-section at station #7. The open space against the side of the hull is the area identified by red dots. This area is empty and begins at the lowest bilge ceiling strake. This drawing detail is actually from the “transverse section” plan sheet of a completely different boat by the same designer a few years prior to the Pelican, but it is labeled as the “type plan” for the Pelican.  Consequently, the dimensioning is incorrect for my boat, but the structural construction is the same – presumably.

P7-4-Copy.thumb.jpg.6b15fb83353f0797f667e29cecac5d4f.jpg

The bases for the posts are 6” square timbers and on the model the six center bases are mounted on wood strips that span the entire length of the fish hold. The six bases away from the center are beveled to reflect the changing shape of the hull as it narrows toward the bow. The drawing below shows the bevel for the posts in the area near station 6A.

P7-5-Copy.thumb.jpg.92745d54b57c12ed500f60e3499be912.jpg

And for the posts in the area near station 4A. Note that the bevel has changed due to the base sitting higher up in the hull. This is necessary because the interior space is narrower yet the distance between posts must be maintained.

P7-6-Copy.thumb.jpg.8761ba0f47ddf096329c34cdb452a87a.jpg

I print out spacing guides to locate the center line for the wood strips the post bases will sit on.

P7-7-Copy.thumb.jpg.da0bc32b741324cb09142bfbbf1400e9.jpg

I mark the center line for the inner and outer strips on each station bulkhead.

P7-8-Copy.thumb.jpg.4fb97fca24e069da12f076df184e0a2a.jpg

P7-9-Copy.thumb.jpg.7129900daffb6256c860fd798bf731c3.jpg

The strips are placed, and the outer post bases are beveled and glue on.

P7-10-Copy.thumb.jpg.a0aae868716e18bba81f2d813ecc74b0.jpg

As per the plans, there are three planks below the lowest bilge ceiling strake and below that is concrete. Although they are not yet glued down, the image below shows those three planks in position. The six inner post bases have been added as well as some styrene sheet material to act as a support floor for the “concrete”.  Also, note how the post bases (top of photo) incrementally sit higher from left to right as the hull narrows.

P7-11-Copy.thumb.jpg.3203677616fed12160136e6dd8a33c06.jpg

It would have been easier to place the two lowest bilge ceiling strakes as one piece and mount the post bases on top of that. But, I didn't and decided instead to piece it together around the posts for reasons that in retrospect make absolutely no sense. But that's water under the bridge and in the end it won't show anyway.

P7-12-Copy.thumb.jpg.4aa8ecab264a3e037ba42efeb0c9a1ed.jpg

P7-13-Copy.thumb.jpg.859b85bcb0af2d161d9d045487207b02.jpg

I smeared on some Hydrocal to form the floor of the main fish pens.

P7-14-Copy.thumb.jpg.ba5ec1a6a0c2f8ae64a4ecd6c7518e41.jpg

Colored up the bulkhead planking with chalk/alcohol (burnt sienna, raw umber and black).

P7-15-Copy.thumb.jpg.4037df91948f604f6f8fd23d55d9c181.jpg

Made up the grating to place over the keel and gurry trough.

P7-16-Copy.thumb.jpg.4e8e252ae96a610b6902c573ab1d31a0.jpg

I'll be placing some dim-ish lighting in the hold, so a gloppy PVA mixed with black acrylic paint is slathered onto the hull to prevent light leaks. All of this mess will be hidden by the wood plank partitioning.

P7-17-Copy.thumb.jpg.cac95cda784d2a26686db72a4eb3926a.jpg

P7-18-Copy.thumb.jpg.cf7b501e7064ba5993586e6abd69cd71.jpg

Next – posts, partitioning and completing the hold.

Thanks for taking a look.  Stay well.

Gary

Edited by FriedClams

Completed Scratch Builds

And... the magic begins to show! Lovely work, as ever, Gary.

Off topic, the eclipse: If one believes that it is all a coincidence in size and distance.... BTW, in Niagara we were almost totally cloud covered that day. Sigh.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

4 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Perhaps I'm a simpleton, but I find this extraordinary.  To be honest, I thought this was going to be an interesting but ho-hum visual event, but when it went dark and I took off the glasses to see where the sun had gone, I was mesmerized.

Count me as a simpleton too, Gary!  I was also mesmerized even though most of the eclipse, including the 90 seconds of totality here in Austin, was obscured by clouds.  Your pictures are fascinating.

As for your build, superb work and detail as always.  I particularly like how the ageing on your bulkhead planking turned out.  So well done!

Edited by Glen McGuire

Cool photos of the eclipse, Gary. I do love your weathering, are you gonna add a wee bit of lighting in the fish hold?