Andy,

I just wish that my house would have a larger entrance hall with straight walls

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

3 hours ago, FlyingFish said:

Congratulations on finishing - it looks very good, and as others have said, it tells a story. I like that. Very good photos too. 

Thank you very much Andy,

as usual I make the final photos by using my wifes adjustable ironing board and a fluffy black blanket hanging from a preliminary support. I have 4 LED spots that are turned towards the model for a good lighting. Some pics with flash, some without

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Many thanks Rick,

I`m pleased you like it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

2 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Wonderful build Nils, I love your choice of subjects and artistry in creating them.

You have a most interesting collection of ship models worthy of a more public display.

Regards,

B.E.

Thank  you very much B.E.

your words are much appreciated. I have often thought about displaying somewhere outhouse, it would give me more freeroom in my hobby office, but there is always the question of where it would be possible in more public way, the insurances and the safe protection and transport of the glass cases.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, the figure of a girl in a light blouse and the sailors in heavy waterproof raincoats are somewhat discordant. Some of them are clearly not dressed for the weather. This is of course a joke. ;) 

Please accept my congratulations on completing a wonderful and heartfelt work. This sincerity is your trademark as a master. Bravo! 👍 :) 

thank you very much Valeriy,

for your kind words, am pleased you like the work.

As far as Elsa ( aka Lana Turner) as the only passenger is concerned, according to Andrew Geer`s Sea Chase novelle, the crew perceived her and her more or less "nightclub" clothing as a foreign (but sexy) untouchable body on board from the start onwards.

I was looking to use for a 1:87 figure for example of the blond Marylin Monroe instead, but unfortunately did`nt find any in that scale.

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Yves,

many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated,

I`ll have pull the handbrake on modeling in the moment, due to lack of space for displaying. I have`nt made any decisions for future builds yet, allthough there are many project ideas spooking around in my mind. I have to build the two glass cases next for my "Zeesboot", my wifes favorate one, and for the just finished "Ergenstrasse".

The glass case of the "5 Elbe" pilotschooner fits as well for the "Zeesboot" perfectly, as this was intended, but that ca`nt be swapped every now and then, and the problem in cleaning a dusted ship, ca`nt be ignored eighther.

Nils

DSCI9895.thumb.JPG.3f6f5d9b1c89d37455557a03bb3d88e8.JPG

"Zeesboot" on top, underneath "5 Elbe" pilotschooner and "Ergenstrasse" in front

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Congratulations!  Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Many thanks Phil,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you both Richard and Kees,

Richard,

yes, I would add some weathering like rust etc, but unfortunately I have no expereience with that

Kees,

I`m 76 years, and the hobby with it`s modeling tasks still keeps me going quite well.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The model is finished, but not yet the glass-casing for it.

I ordered the glass panes at my local glassers yesterday, and am meantime working on the baseplate and the frame parts (double slot) wooden liners ......

I have used this method to date on all my casings

Nils

DSCI9896.thumb.JPG.05e1a60b871c40c65b51d884637f6287.JPG

the baseplate with edge-profiles and bottom liners

DSCI9897.thumb.JPG.0523b4212ee36b001b0f0d3454b60046.JPG

the look from beneath

DSCI9899.thumb.JPG.4059f995cae67ff61636209af4e37534.JPG

the bottom liner profiles with reinforcement angles and brass sleeves to fit the 6 adjusting brass pins (here without stain treatment)

the model will stand on its own standplate in the casing. This allows to remove it at any time, whereby the upper bonnet can be lifted off the

6 pins

DSCI9900.thumb.JPG.77be895e9721952af4cf7fceec6f4cea.JPG

The case corners, hopefully precise cut panes of 4mm thick glass will fit exactly into the slots The wooden slots have slightly surplus of appr 1 mm in length in order to compensate possible wood shrinkage

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great result and very sharp work on that case.

I also see Geoff Hunt's "Heavy weight punch" behind the case. I assume that's a print :ph34r: Wouldn't hide it behind your eye-catching models though. 

Hi Roel,

many thanks for your comment. The "Heavy weight punch" is a print on canvas, I like Geoff Hunt`s maritime paintings very much. Its because I`m short with display space that there are models in front of that wonderful picture.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finished the glass case, and my wife was so kind to clean the glass in- and outside, as well as to help  carry and  swap some of the other cases to a new display place in my hobby office.

This closes the project

Here some final pics of the casing and its build..... This was my 11th  case I built this way and I`m pleased that to date there was no broken glass. I`m not so happy of the steadily increasing prices for glass, so I`m surprised of the glasser`s offers every time.

I would like to thank all that were interested in the build log, with many likes, wows, appreciations, comments and suggestions allong the ride.

Nils

DSCI9915.thumb.JPG.5a3f45dd8580bd150f124fece025fe6b.JPG

the glass-panes are held with helping aids, such as the "third hand" clamped to the cupboard above, short fixing- and distance pieces, and preliminary self adhesive tape

DSCI9916.thumb.JPG.2b3e54851aceb7b9b3bdda97fec480d6.JPG

the angles are well keep the panes in place

DSCI9917.thumb.JPG.38c62edcabf26110a3f425120e62a327.JPG

after the top panel is complete stained and framed, the 4 vertical profiles are stained an cut to length

DSCI9918.thumb.JPG.4090be19c567208735a7e3bcf0a350dd.JPG

now comes the final assembly.....

DSCI9919.thumb.JPG.0f86e4517dd6f77b8b38ef4eea607f95.JPG

here again the clamped on "third hand"

DSCI9920.thumb.JPG.7a8d5c6654ee3833efda84bd0a7e5000.JPG

the right angle corner

DSCI9921.thumb.JPG.bfd072920a6021173c21182aa4fb87b9.JPG

mounting the top panel ( lid) to the rest

DSCI9922.thumb.JPG.859e569af198ba86690a872607f91dc3.JPG

metal corners fixed with stainless steel blackend philips flat cross-head screws (M1,7 x 6mm )

DSCI9923.thumb.JPG.ab850a9de00b8afff32fdfb1a0c38a99.JPG

the glass bonnet set down on the base with the 6 interacting positioning pins, also the are 6 self adhesive felt patches  under the baseplate to enable a smooth contact.

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much John,

I am pleased with the result, but had some trouble with the nameplates attached to the ships own stand plate on both sides. These are of printed paper ( black lettering on yellowish colored background ) glued small plates and fixed to the nameplate`s brackets. After glueing  the paper on, all was OK, but then after varnishing them with polyurethane "protection" they looked all wet and soaked through, and even with a hot air dryer I could´nt get them to look as before. Will have replace the printed paper nameplates in the next days, and leave away the varnish. I should have used photo paper for printing.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

She looks wonderful in her case Nils. Must watch the film again.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

many thanks Keith,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Michel,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Andy,

I`m pleased you like this model

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Rick, your comment is much appreciated.

I am in the moment thinking about a new project and am gathering information about it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nice job on the display case, Nils.  The metal corner pieces are an elegant touch.  Now your beautiful model has a safe, clean home.  Congratulations on another great project.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox