HMS Portland 1770 by scrubbyj427 - 1:48 - 4th rate 50-gun ship

Slowly working on the port side wales now, when I can find time. Should have some finalized QG’s soon and a test drop in resin. When that’s finalized, will begin production of boxwood carvings.

IMG_7223.thumb.jpeg.05c2d5291a27e668a267d77f02175bc9.jpeg

IMG_7222.thumb.jpeg.693f88e89e86cda39c839e9c595f9769.jpeg

IMG_7317.thumb.jpeg.a5b81188bc0002c871511e8b1791d979.jpeg
started playing with this new sticker feature on my phone, tricky way to make a full white background. Works about half the time

image.png.6cc951a523d7db7e5cc22c36acbd95b9.png

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

14 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

What a beautiful figure head!!! Is this Artemis or Diane with her bow? 

I assume that this delicate figure is made out of resin. Are you planning to produce a boxwood carving of that figure?

Beautiful work all around.

Yves

Hi Yves, 

Thank you, yes that it Artemis I will complete the bow with an arrow upon final assembly.

The figure you are looking at is actually boxwood, I have yet to produce a resin one.

If you look back a few posts you will see the stern carvings as well, those will also be boxwood and I should have the first sets soon.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

Completed the upper stbd wale, a little tricky in the front area where the grating will eventually go. As you can see in the photo below, the precut sub deck piece has a spacer on it that represents the eventual boxwood piece that will hold the gratings in place

IMG_7356.thumb.jpeg.26717fc1e75e8f9ea80f39fddab541b2.jpeg

below the 3D model shows this piece in place already. This will come later for obvious reasons, it is just too fragile to survive the build.

IMG_7357.thumb.jpeg.88c62ddbcc6d1737b6b33de8de3c9f1a.jpeg

the upper most plank for the upper Wales needs to be slightly trimmed so this place holder sits on top of it as seen below

IMG_7352.thumb.jpeg.c45085b7aed350ccd30486d3c4f7ad1f.jpeg

you can see a slight notch at the end of the beak head bulkhead, this plank needs to be bent and shaped first before being notched otherwise it will break every time .

The rest of the planks are business as usual, heat, bend, notch for gunports and glue. I started at the lower plank and worked my up.IMG_7354.thumb.jpeg.2f5a715a6fc1765b5106f838bda6a744.jpeg

IMG_7353.thumb.jpeg.ecfcf6e3eaa6421f6ba663550804ef8c.jpeg
I sanded them down smooth and added some WOP to protect them. Next I will move up with the thinner planks (.045”) to meet the upper panel which is a little thicker to allow some sanding. Very slow and steady.
IMG_7355.thumb.jpeg.c54446917b716cdf5de1b2c0cb02160b.jpeg

JJ

• 3 weeks later...

Small update:

Making some progress with the planking,  going to finish the main wales this weekend and start closing in the gun deck.

JJ

IMG_7482.jpeg

IMG_7481.jpeg

IMG_7480.jpeg

6 hours ago, jfhealey said:

Very impressive indeed! Like many I suspect, I am following with keen interest. 

Are the gunports on the lower gun deck going to be closed?

Best wishes

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thank you! The lower gunports will have all their doors but I will be showing them Open, as shown on the painting. The gun deck will be fully fitted with 24pdrs and visible through the main deck. 

SSPL_10325740_HighRes.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the stbd side planking of the main wale up..finally. I apologize in advance to anyone who takes on this planking behemoth!

I attempted to give a more “worn” look to the wales, similar to some of the contemporary models I’ve seen, I need to play with it a little more but I think it adds a little character. 

I still need to clean up the gunports a little more and then paint the margins of the planks after another coat or WOP, but I’m finally making some noticeable progress. 
Thanks for looking in.

JJ

IMG_7517.jpeg

IMG_7518.jpeg

IMG_7519.jpeg

IMG_7520.jpeg

IMG_7521.jpeg

IMG_7522.jpeg

On 9/11/2024 at 9:18 AM, bdgiantman2 said:

She may be a beast, but I am impressed with your scratch-building this whole thing the way you are. Portland is coming along very nicely, keep it up

Brian D :)

Thank you Brian, will have more updates soon.

On 9/11/2024 at 9:34 AM, Ronald-V said:

That's spectacular!

Thank you Ronald. 

Quick update. 
received the prototype print for the stbd drop. The fit is nice without any adjustment to the QG or the drop, both are straight off the printer as designed. Will make a few slight adjustments and proceed with boxwood CNC carved ones for the model.

IMG_7538.jpeg

IMG_7540.jpeg

IMG_7541.jpeg

IMG_7542.jpeg

IMG_7543.jpeg

IMG_7544.jpeg

You are making a beautiful model! I don't understand why you have to use those plastic moulded bottles which are an eyesore compared to the beautiful look of the rest! Your skill allows you to make them as they should be made!

Sorry, but I had to tell you, although everyone is free to do as they please.....

6 hours ago, giampieroricci said:

You are making a beautiful model! I don't understand why you have to use those plastic moulded bottles which are an eyesore compared to the beautiful look of the rest! Your skill allows you to make them as they should be made!

Sorry, but I had to tell you, although everyone is free to do as they please.....

Hi Giampiero,

thanks for looking in and your compliment. 
Yves is correct, the drop is simply a test piece to make any necessary adjustments before it is carved in wood. However the basic QG’s will be printed and outfitted with many boxwood parts, I guarantee that once complete, they will be indistinguishable from a wooden construction. My reason for this is the QG’s on this model are very complex and I didn’t want to leave anything to chance for the builder.
I began designing and could offer a wooden construction alternative for the QG’s if there was enough demand. These were an extremely complex assembly in an effort to keep everything lined up. 

JJ

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

Giampiero, the plastic/resin are just a prototype to define the shape and alignment.

Scrubby will CNC machine boxwood blocks for the final parts. At least that is what I could understand 🙂

Yves

Thanks Yves, you are correct. The only foreseeable resin part on the model will be the QG’s, outfitted and surrounded by boxwood and AYC parts. There may be other fittings along the way that I will possibly offer in resin.

Those printed QG’s would be a great addition to any number of kits, and few kit builders would hesitate to use them

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 9/13/2024 at 1:11 PM, Gregory said:

Those printed QG’s would be a great addition to any number of kits, and few kit builders would hesitate to use them

That is so true. Building the Quarter Galleries on my HMS Bellona (1/48th) was by far the most difficult part of the kit. And to make both look identical is definitely a challenge.

Yves

On 9/13/2024 at 11:55 AM, glbarlow said:

Great progress, on the way to being a beautiful model. 

Thank you Glenn!

On 9/13/2024 at 1:11 PM, Gregory said:

Thank you Gregory, if these prove successful I think I will do something similar on my next design.

17 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

That is so true. Building the Quarter Galleries on my HMS Bellona (1/48th) was by far the most difficult part of the kit. And to make both look identical is definitely a challenge.

Yves

Indeed they are very difficult to construct and require a lot of patience and double checking to ensure that both sides are identical and located exactly the same. My aim is to make this part of the build a little easier without sacrificing detail.

On 9/13/2024 at 5:51 PM, scrubbyj427 said:

Hi Giampiero,

thanks for looking in and your compliment. 
Yves is correct, the drop is simply a test piece to make any necessary adjustments before it is carved in wood. However the basic QG’s will be printed and outfitted with many boxwood parts, I guarantee that once complete, they will be indistinguishable from a wooden construction. My reason for this is the QG’s on this model are very complex and I didn’t want to leave anything to chance for the builder.
I began designing and could offer a wooden construction alternative for the QG’s if there was enough demand. These were an extremely complex assembly in an effort to keep everything lined up. 

JJ

Sorry Scrubby, I didn't realise!

I follow your work with great interest!

On 9/15/2024 at 7:46 AM, scrubbyj427 said:

Thank you Gregory, if these prove successful I think I will do something similar on my next design.

You're developing or thinking about an even bigger design? Oh snaaaaaaaaaaaaap!! Must be one of the 3rd rates, but could be something bigger. Your engineering skills are impressive. I can tell you and Mr. Passaro think very similarly. 

16 hours ago, bdgiantman2 said:

You're developing or thinking about an even bigger design? Oh snaaaaaaaaaaaaap!! Must be one of the 3rd rates, but could be something bigger. Your engineering skills are impressive. I can tell you and Mr. Passaro think very similarly. 

Hi Brian, ha! nothing larger in the pipeline as of now, but seriously considering another 4th rate from the 17th century and possibly a smaller 17th century Dutch vessel. Have to see how Portland finishes up and if anyone even builds it. 

Chucks work, specifically Winchelsea, is a major source of inspiration in designing Portland.