HMS SUSSEX by KarenM - FINISHED - 1:48

KarenM your build was referred to me by Marc (Hubac’s Historian). He suggested I read through your build to witness the master job you are doing. I must compliment you your beautiful ship. I am building the Heller Soleli Royal as can be seen here on MSW. I had a general opinion question about how long do others wait before adding the ratlines?  Once they are in place it does make accessing some of the rigging around the deck a bit more difficult. However it is important to add the ratlines as soon as possible. I see on your build you have added the ratlines soon after the shrouds. 

Edited by Bill97

14 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

However it is important to add the ratlines as soon as possible.

Just curious why you think so?

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I knit ratlines immediately after installing the shrouds. Then there are difficulties when wiring the rigging, and I have to use tweezers. More interfere with knitting the rigging of the guy, and not the ratlines.

Knitting ratlines after running rigging will be much more difficult.

Gregory the only reason I say that, usually I want to wait as long as possible so I am more easily able to access the interior during rigging, is because the Soleli Royal instructions show a large number of blocks tied to the shrouds at particular ratline positions. So I am assuming before I can I can do the rigging that uses those blocks I will need to add the ratlines so I know where to tie the block. 

KarenM I am building the Heller Soleli Royal. I am working on the fore and Mainstay. I like the way you extended the length of the mainstay collar to go around the bowsprit over the beakhead bulkhead (under the rail) and aft of the foremast. I see in your pictures you have a heart on the end of the mainstay. I cannot tell in the photos, do you also have a heart attached to collar? I am wondering if that is how you set the mainstay up to the collar?  I am using large 3 sheave blocks instead of hearts. 

• 1 month later...

Outstanding! What a beautiful model! This is just incredible work you have done. Congratulations!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Congratulations!  Very well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

That is a beautiful and painstaking model; I congratulate you on the successful completion of it. Well done indeed!

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Work of this caliber is what we all aspire to achieve. Please share many photos of her after a quality photoshoot so that we may better appreciate the skill displayed here.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...