Australian Couta boat by Louie da fly - from about the 1920's

A couta boat is a gaff-rigged fishing boat used for catching barracuda in the State of Victoria, Australia, up till about the 1920's, being superseded by motor vessels, but many of them have been preserved and are now raced competitively.

I wasn't going to do a formal build log for the couta boat, but I've changed my mind as i feel it's a worthwhile subject for a log. I didn't take photos at the beginning of the build, it's necessarily somewhat incomplete.

Here are the first photos I took of the model. It was built up in layers and then sanded to shape with a belt sander. A lot of mistakes (it was the first time I'd used one of those things) but fortunately builders bog filled in where I'd sanded off too much, so she ended up looking pretty good.

20230724_102241.thumb.jpg.c0c1b17e02a50603b9afc8419c9d740e.jpg

20230724_102325.thumb.jpg.475993179ade82e3f44df81447ecdbf1.jpg

20230724_101948.thumb.jpg.5c467dd1ebd5fa0d4dbf935edb9b32aa.jpg

Steven

Couta boats have a very characteristic and rather attractive curved bowsprit. I had to do a fair bit of carving and bending until I got it right. Then the Men's Shed got a bunch of thin dowelling (about 5mm and 3mm) ideal for the mast, boom and gaff. Very pleasing.

I also made seats. Here they all are dry fitted (except the boom and gaff, as I haven't yet made the fittings).

20230804_094208.thumb.jpg.5f0ed178f93f9948c6438730830bb413.jpg

And I got some old teak woodstain we had hanging around and stained these bits.

20230804_112201.thumb.jpg.4b498513639e4c560f48871d9a80a3fe.jpgStarting to come together nicely.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Looks cool so far, looking forward to watching it come together! I think local fishing boats are great build subjects. I have to ask, why is the bowsprit curved?

1 hour ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Didn't you say this wasn't going to have a build log?

See sentence No. 2 in post #1 above.

53 minutes ago, JacquesCousteau said:

I have to ask, why is the bowsprit curved?

I wish I knew, but they do look very good.

image.png.1e29881fc86d85e412a59ccb866184fd.png  image.png.29a748f875fc07db7f7353db2eb75ab8.png

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Looks interesting.  As for the curved bowspit, I would think it was curved for strength.  A straight one would be more bendable.   But I might be wrong.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice job on the boat Steven; it looks great.  These boats were very fast as is implied in your last photo.  They must have been a handful with a very small crew.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I believe that the downward curve in the bowsprit is to keep the luff of the jib straight and tight.  If the luff of the job is allowed to sag to leeward the boat will not sail well to windward.  If the bowsprit is straight, the tension of the fore stay, or in this case the job luff causing the bowsprit to bend upward shortens the hypotenuse of the fore triangle reducing the job luff tension.  If the bowsprit is bent down,  job luff tension slightly lengthens the bowsprit maintains job luff tension.

Roger

• 1 month later...

Hi Steven,

A subject close to my heart, they are wonderful boats & I race against them quite a lot. For once I have a bit of knowledge - the fish they went after is Barracouta, & not related to Barracuda. The bowsprit question I had to look up in the wonderful book "First Home, The Couta Boat & Victoria's Couta Coast". I had assumed it was to get a larger jib, as sailing performance was important - the first boat home got the best prices for their catch. This is partly correct...on the curved bowsprit (on Coutas called the jibboom) the book says "The early boats ... had little or not bend in the jib boom. Later, the larger boats ... had higher bows & more sheer. Extra bend was put in the jib boom to get more length in the jib & to improve the appearance of the boat."

The book has a lot of details, if you want anything you could post or PM me. The model is looking lovely, & I shall follow with great interest.

Edited by Mark Pearse

Thank you, Mark. I agree; they are lovely boats. We go down to Geelong every now and then (a mere hour's drive) and as we go past the bay we often see couta boats moored there. It always lifts my heart to see them - they are so beautiful, and a relic of a past, more elegant era.

At the moment I don't think I need any more information, but thanks for the offer. It was never intended to be a 100% accurate model, more just something simple that could be made easily to raise funds for the Men's shed. Turned out not to be that simple. I'm putting the majority of my efforts at the moment into the San Marco mediaeval ship, but a couple of days ago I did some painting on the couta boat - white on the "upper deck". Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the latest configuration, but here she is with the blue on the lower hull (the holes are for the stand). That was a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to add more photos as I get them, but I only go to the Men's shed Mondays and Fridays.

coutaboatblue.thumb.jpg.2a5ad642861d45b35885535393483e6d.jpg

coutaboatblue2.thumb.jpg.bbda95fe65942305a2a184305637774f.jpg

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

No, I work on the ship most days - but the Men's shed is full other days of the week, so Monday and Friday are the only times I get to use the wonderful boys' toys (machine tools) they have there.

And I'm leaving the couta boat there to work on when I'm in the mood or between working on the San Marco ship. (Or other things - I replaced the broken plastic handle of my handsaw with a beautiful new hardwood one I'd made from scratch a couple of weeks ago, and there are still the model railway buildings on the back burner.)

Steven

The Couta Boat is considered such an icon of Australian nautical history that there is one at the Australian National Maritime Museum. 

Nice to see a model build of one.

Some more painting - that's pretty much complete now. The main problem I have is that in the Men's shed there's usually a thin layer of fine sawdust on everything, and though this doesn't really affect the painting, it does mean I have to be careful not to transfer the stuff from the benchtop or my fingers etc to the dry paintwork - especially the lovely royal blue - almost impossible to get it off if I do.

But she's looking very pretty. I chose blue and white as it's such a popular colour among boat owners (who presumably don't care that it makes them invisible against the sea to search and rescue people if there's an emergency).

From now on, the main jobs will be making fixtures and fittings - pintles and gudgeons, blocks etc and putting them in place so I can assemble the model into its final form. I've cut out the sails, but I'll have to do some extra work there - not totally happy with how they turned out.

thumbnail_20230908_090906.thumb.jpg.f5c9c120937734aca8f0ae7ac31749a2.jpg

thumbnail_20230908_090919.thumb.jpg.4da92e5d2d8019af18dff534847aefb7.jpg

thumbnail_20230908_090956.thumb.jpg.bc8f366809e1e60dfa0181efa3eadcf8.jpg

thumbnail_20230908_123612.thumb.jpg.aa4add0766e1dddadabaadd700c3ac99.jpg

thumbnail_20230908_123623.thumb.jpg.e1186bed68f16f027863ea3c223e55d7.jpg

Steven

Lovely.

You got the deep & squarish forefoot of the bow, apparently it's so the boats can drift well. If the forefoot is too rounded they don't hold a drift abeam to the wind, the bow blows faster than the stern.

• 3 months later...

Very nice indeed; a very nice little side project Steven.  Suggest the sails as a Christmas present? ;) :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looking very cute.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

AAaaand - finished!

20231215_094823.thumb.jpg.3b4529085261b783910798185a433d4e.jpg

20231215_094801.thumb.jpg.b63804efb1283971b8f566471c436bcc.jpg

20231215_094623.thumb.jpg.36772e077e22fb1192f6ef07546f7b15.jpg

I've simplified the rig and I'm not totally happy with the sails - my fault. I should have consulted with my wife before I cut, folded and ironed them. She did what she could to correct my mistakes, but there's only so much you can do, even when you've been trained as a seamstress. Ah well, all part of the learning process.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Hey Steven, I just ran across this build log.  What an interesting subject and a beautiful build.  Congratulations!  But I am most impressed by the fact that you are able to do 2 models at once.  I saw the framework of your San Marco mosaic ship in the background on one of your pics above.  Not sure how you are able to pull that off!!  :imNotWorthy: :imNotWorthy: :imNotWorthy:

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me