80 year old wanting to get into modeling wood ships decades after plastic modeling

JBH

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I appreciate getting your feedback. I need all the help I can get!

When I was much younger, I did a lot of plastic modeling, mostly WWll vintage planes. I really enjoyed it. I'm now 80, single, and looking to get into wood ship modeling (kits).

Recently, I had a very unpleasant experience after initially purchasing several wood kits from a company that has the worst customer service I've ever had. These kits, Mamoli Mini kits, were supposed to be beginner kits; however, the instructions were, to me, quite confusing  and not at all clear for a beginner, so I returned them. 

Now I'm back to square one. I really need your recommendations for wood  kits that really are for beginners. Clear instructions are a must. I realize there are build logs available for many ship models, but it w/b nice if the instructions were laid out clear enough that it wouldn't really be necessary for an initial build. 

Plastic hulls, resin hulls, pre-carved hulls, plank on frame hulls....I'm confused. I don't want to spend $2-300 on an initial kit. What are some options I could consider?

Many thanks!

38 minutes ago, JBH said:

Recently, I had a very unpleasant experience after initially purchasing several wood kits from a company that has the worst customer service I've ever had.

Been there and still am there.  It is a shame.

I don't have enough experience to advise on beginner kits but you have landed on the top ship modeling forum and help and advice will be forth coming.  Stand by.

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King

Well, your being unmarried is likely a tremendous advantage in your pursuit of the ship modeling hobby! :D 

You should read this thread, which is full of good advice about choosing first-effort novice level wooden boat kits. Fortunately, you have wisely already realized that it is better to "start small" than to attempt to build an expensive "four-decker" Eighteenth Century square-rigged "ship of the line."

There is a much better option for attacking the sometimes steep wooden ship modeling hobby "learning curve." The Model Shipways company has a very highly regarded three-model series of progressively more challenging models for novice builders which are specifically designed for the purpose.  As I think most experienced modelers would advise, anyone who is not familiar with model ship kit building would do well to start by building these three Model Shipways Shipwright Three Kit Combo Series. See: https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html (These kits can also be purchased separately, should one not wish to commit to building all three.) Building these three relatively inexpensive boat models in order will provide, through excellent instruction manuals written by a leading world-class modeler, a solid foundation in the skills and techniques required to move on to more challenging kits. I don't want to scare you off, but building plastic model kits is nothing like building wooden ship model kits. They each require quite distinct skill sets. You are wise to begin at the beginning.

There are several "build logs" of these entry-level kits posted on this forum. These will give you a detailed presentation of the actual building tasks involved in assembling the kits. Here are the manufacturer's YouTube video presentations of these three kits:

Good Luck! And remember, you can always rely on somebody answering any questions you have along the way by simply posting your question on this forum. :D 

Edited by Bob Cleek

The instruction manuals for the models mentioned in the previous post can be viewed on the Model Expo web site.  Great opportunity to see if you think they are as detailed as you are looking for.

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

Hi JBH and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have been given good advice in the above posts.  There are many build logs on these three ships that you can view to determine if this is the direction that you may want to go.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

The dory is a way to go for sure. The very best models for beginners at every level is Vanguard Models. Check them out by clicking this link Vanguard  @chris watton instructions are detailed, filled with color photos, and easy to follow.  There are multiple build logs of most of his models including the prototype built by James. Unlike most other manufacturers both are active members on this forum. There are multiple levels of models, you could build nothing but a sequence of models by Vanguard for years to come. Give your first experience you can’t go wrong for a better with Chris and Vanguard. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

I would echo what Glenn said above. Here is a link to a typical instruction manual that comes with the Vanguard models. This particular kit is ideal for beginners as the hull shape is forgiving of skill.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Fifie_construction_manual.pdf

I hope that is helpful.

Regards

Paul

Welcome aboard!

In addition to the great options mentioned above, Model Expo offers a line of kits under the Midwest Products label. Having built two of them in the past, I can vouch that they are nearly foolproof beginner kits with very thorough instructions. You can see many finished examples by browsing the build logs here.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Occre Polaris is also a good beginner kit with a lot of videos showing each step.

I am building it myself and one thing that I really like is all printed instructions that comes in the box.

Printed on A3 everything is very easy to read and the pictures are also in big size.

There is a printed side with all wooden strips in actual size, just put the real strip beside and compare, so easy, so clever.

Of course Occre have taken some shortcuts to make a easy build, the deck is completely level, easier to build but not so correct.

Polaris is not a model of a real ship, its a real beginner kit and the best one I have seen so far.

I have tried Billing boats, Mamoli, Bluejacket, Amati and some smaller companies modelboats and Polaris I think is best in instructions.

We dont have Model Shipways in Sweden I think, but I have read the build logs and got the impression their beginner kits have som problem with fitting issues. Maybe they are a little bit old and the lasercut not so exact?

I dont know, read the build logs yourself and decide.

Polaris instructions, link from Occres website:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FwgMxKs20rx1Ec5VMwuTVq6lWc7agKw3/view

Polaris has at least one very good building log on this forum.

Edited by ubjs

41 minutes ago, JBH said:

So glad to have found this forum. 

There is a wealth of information here.  I model vicariously by reading the various blogs. Look around while you are deciding on your next steps.

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King

19 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

WELCOME TO MSW

The above is absolutely the best advice.  The kits are high quality and you will learn skills that will be used on even more advanced models, be it kit or scratch as you move forward.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

5 hours ago, JBH said:

Wow! I am totally impressed with all of your suggestions. Thanks so much for giving me a lot to think about. Much appreciated, and I will let you know what I decide. So glad to have found this forum. 

Welcome JBH to the most informative, enjoyable and friendly website I have ever come across.  I'm not surprised that you've received so much help already.  People on this forum are genuinely interested in helping each other and I find sometimes that I have to drag myself away from the screen, otherwise I might be here all day and never get my boat built.

I'm sure you will really enjoy researching the suggestions made above, and we look forward to hearing what you have chosen for your first build.

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

I can't add to what's already been said about starting the model ship journey... but Welcome to MSW.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So many great suggestions, but I'm going to go with the Model Shipway Grand Banks Dory w/ tools for $39.99. It appears to be a great price for everything that's included, plus the instructions look great! The potential to learn this craft in stages also appeals to me (Skill Levels 1-3). I look forward to starting on this wonderful hobby. Thanks again to everyone for their input. Much appreciated!

I have tried a dory but for me it was a disaster.

Its a very special building technic completly different than most boats and you must get everything right before glueing.

I dont know why a dory is adviced as first kit, its the only boat I couldnt build at all, but maybe its just me.

I should copy all parts in a copying machine if you dont get drawings in full scale, then you could make new parts if you have to.

The one I tried was from Bluejacket.

A build log.

Edited by ubjs

On 10/18/2023 at 10:00 AM, ubjs said:

Occre Polaris is also a good beginner kit with a lot of videos showing each step.

I am building it myself and one thing that I really like is all printed instructions that comes in the box.

Printed on A3 everything is very easy to read and the pictures are also in big size.

There is a printed side with all wooden strips in actual size, just put the real strip beside and compare, so easy, so clever.

Of course Occre have taken some shortcuts to make a easy build, the deck is completely level, easier to build but not so correct.

Polaris is not a model of a real ship, its a real beginner kit and the best one I have seen so far.

I have tried Billing boats, Mamoli, Bluejacket, Amati and some smaller companies modelboats and Polaris I think is best in instructions.

We dont have Model Shipways in Sweden I think, but I have read the build logs and got the impression their beginner kits have som problem with fitting issues. Maybe they are a little bit old and the lasercut not so exact?

I dont know, read the build logs yourself and decide.

Polaris instructions, link from Occres website:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FwgMxKs20rx1Ec5VMwuTVq6lWc7agKw3/view

Polaris has at least one very good building log on this forum.

Seconded and this series of YouTube videos showing step-by-step is a godsend and will also give you an idea of what's involved:

8 hours ago, JBH said:

So many great suggestions, but I'm going to go with the Model Shipway Grand Banks Dory w/ tools for $39.99. It appears to be a great price for everything that's included, plus the instructions look great! The potential to learn this craft in stages also appeals to me (Skill Levels 1-3). I look forward to starting on this wonderful hobby. Thanks again to everyone for their input. Much appreciated!

For what it's worth, I found the dory to be an excellent kit and a great way to get your feet wet. It's also a very easy model to add fishing gear and the like to, which can be a fun introduction to scratch building as well.