Craft knife

Go to solution Solved by Jaager,

I find the ubiquitous X-acto knife with assorted blades works well.  Assorted blades for different materials and functions.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I used to use Xacto exclusively but after more than one episode of it rolling off the bench and onto the floor, or worse, onto a thigh, when it comes to blade holders I went to flat handles.   Saws and other attachments are not a problem for me with the Xacto, but definitely not scalpel blades.  My go to is Swann Morton handles and blades but there are others that are similar.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• Solution

I like the shape of the Fiskars Softgrip Ergonomic Detail Knife for hand feel.

A very common blade is the #11 shape.  Getting a 100 pack of a high quality #11 blade, not the OEM version is my choice.

When researching this, I just discovered that XActo - which as not been my choice for blades - has a XZ series that has a zirconium nitride coating

Feedback suggests that the hard coating makes the tip prone to snapping off - especially with lateral force.  If your cuts are straight line they might work.

An alternate direction is a double bevel 1/4" violin makers knife.  #11 shape - just a bar of steel with no handle.  Expensive but it is lifetime for one.  There are maybe 6 widths. 

With both disposable and permanent blades, very frequent shroping on leather charged with a green, red, or gold polishing compound crayon keeps a fine edge and reduces changes.  I do not know if zirconium is harder than the compounds.  It may require diamond.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

3 hours ago, Jaager said:

I like the shape of the Fiskars Softgrip Ergonomic Detail Knife for hand feel.

A very common blade is the #11 shape.  Getting a 100 pack of a high quality #11 blade, not the OEM version is my choice.

When researching this, I just discovered that XActo - which as not been my choice for blades - has a XZ series that has a zirconium nitride coating

Feedback suggests that the hard coating makes the tip prone to snapping off - especially with lateral force.  If your cuts are straight line they might work.

An alternate direction is a double bevel 1/4" violin makers knife.  #11 shape - just a bar of steel with no handle.  Expensive but it is lifetime for one.  There are maybe 6 widths. 

With both disposable and permanent blades, very frequent shroping on leather charged with a green, red, or gold polishing compound crayon keeps a fine edge and reduces changes.  I do not know if zirconium is harder than the compounds.  It may require diamond.

Can I replace blades on this particular model @Jaager? Doesn’t say anything.

https://ritohobby.co.uk/knives-and-cutters/12571-fiskars-softgrip-art-knife-078484167113.html?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAC-ulnr6gOu3q3a8I5LVpN9nXtfzu&gclid=CjwKCAiA8sauBhB3EiwAruTRJpC3GRaEjNnSyjDYx3hNb-MV678eP35JtV3RlzYvRXQjFVkE78BTsxoCn3oQAvD_BwE

It will hold any blade that has the same insert as the #11 blade has.

This handle tightens using a knurled knob at the back end.

There is a larger and similar handle for the large blades - the router blades and similar - not what you need for the job mentioned though.

This is the one that I am discussing :

51QClJsr0L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.77eba26be16b8c55e44e941459e29efa.jpg

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

On 2/19/2024 at 1:37 PM, chris watton said:

For PE, a Stanley Knife should do the trick. I have never used anything else.

Yep I'm the same - I have two types of knife which are the Stanley for tough work and Swann Morton scalpel blades for everything else.  There's no sharpening involved so I can just get on with the job at hand.

On 2/20/2024 at 4:32 AM, Olaf said:

One more question guys. I saw somewhere that curved blades are better than straight ones for photo etched parts? Someone is using them and can compare them please?

I am actually preferring the curved #10 Xacto blade for my work, including the removal of PE pieces.  I can "rock" the blade easier, rather than slicing with the #11 blade.

Xacto.png.6e40bd436d84d60fc2384b65c7c18858.png

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

5 minutes ago, GGibson said:

I am actually preferring the curved #10 Xacto blade for my work, including the removal of PE pieces.  I can "rock" the blade easier, rather than slicing with the #11 blade.

I use the #10 curved blade also.  Just press down and rock/roll over the attachment.  Plus, the #10 blade has better strength and stability relative to #11 blades.  I use #11 Swann Morten blades for pretty much all my other work.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

5 hours ago, GGibson said:

Hi GGibson.Can you give some examples of this blades and what knife I can use for this blades please? I just getting nystagmus on websites🙃

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

Hi GGibson.Can you give some examples of this blades and what knife I can use for this blades please? I just getting nystagmus on websites🙃

Hi Olaf!  If I am understanding your question, the #10 Xacto blade I was referring to that I like is the 2nd one down from the top left in the picture on my post, that fits into a "standard" Xacto knife handle.  The lower right one is similar, but fits in a larger handle, as you can see the notch part (the little rectangle opening on the left side of the blades) is a bit bigger in that one. 

EDIT:  Here's a "knife/blade matrix" I found that will help determine what blade goes with what handle...

x-acto-matrix.pdf (scene7.com) 

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin