F-14D Super Tomcat by CDW - AMK - 1:48 Scale

People sometimes ask why I don't build any jets in card. Simple answer: I only build in 1/33 scale, and at that scale jets are simply too large to fit on my available shelving!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Back in the '90's I had a model room in my previous home 14'x10' it had two shelves that went around the walls completely just above the door line... On those shelves I had every single one of Monograms 1/48 scale lineup... (add in a few of Revell's as well) The jets definitely take up a LOT of room.... Almost as much as the B-24 & B-17....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

A brand I've not come across before. Following along 👍🏻

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

All right Craig, this will be interesting. Some years ago, I built the AMK MIG-31 and liked the kit a lot, except for ill scaled bang seats. The plastic was fantastic to work with and engineering was very good. I also have a -D in stash, but from Tamiya, which will remain there for some time, because of STENCILLING :blink:.
I´m masoistic enough to do it right, but need more than a push to start a jet kit soon, after building the said MIG and a Japanese KAI Phantom.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

3 minutes ago, chadwijm6 said:

A brand I've not come across before. Following along 👍🏻

They are not what I would call a mainstream company yet, but what few kits they have produced so far are of a high standard. I've watched several build videos of this kit and the details incorporated into the kit are good enough to stand alone without a lot of aftermarket sets to improve them. The weapons set included are particularly impressive.

6 minutes ago, DocRob said:

All right Craig, this will be interesting. Some years ago, I built the AMK MIG-31 and liked the kit a lot, except for ill scaled bang seats. The plastic was fantastic to work with and engineering was very good. I also have a -D in stash, but from Tamiya, which will remain there for some time, because of STENCILLING :blink:.
I´m masoistic enough to do it right, but need more than a push to start a jet kit soon, after building the said MIG and a Japanese KAI Phantom.

Cheers Rob

The decal sheets included with the kit are extensive.

DSCN4016.JPG

DSCN4017.JPG

Looking forward to this build.

Dave

Current builds:

Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Yep  I'm in to   - looking forward  to this  Big Hitter.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Not familiar with this builder, but the decals look attractive. Will this be a Bomb Cat or TomCat?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I am going to need to research reference material to determine an appropriate bomb cat load out. If any of you know about it or are aware of reference sources, please chime in.

IMG_6220.thumb.jpeg.283f3cc5a0d6b575399d1b73467bd9a1.jpeg

As well detailed as this kit is, I am disappointed that seat harnesses were not included. Maybe I’ll rob the figures from my Tamiya tomcat in lieu of harnesses.

IMG_6221.thumb.jpeg.753ce518664b65fa543dc2ee8fc68cd9.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CDW said:

I am going to need to research reference material to determine an appropriate bomb cat load out. If any of you know about it or are aware of reference sources, please chime in.

Here ya go...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/221470-f-14-tomcat-weaponry-config/

Covers typical air to air and some fairly standard OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom) loadouts...

The weapons that come with the kit puts you right into that OIF & OEF time frame...

Hope it helps...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

You may want to glance at both pages, since some drawings were re-done. And some a/g munitions had restrictions on rack locations. Some of the contributors are/were  munitions loaders, so they  have the info.

Restrictions like for the Phantom, could not carry SUU-30 class munitions on the bottom location of the TERs and MERs. Ground clearance.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Canute said:

You may want to glance at both pages, since some drawings were re-done.

Yep definitely read both pages... The info is pure gold... Also that's the place to ask those questions... The general idea is that given the mission and what was on hand munitions wise, they could have carried anything within the aircraft's approved spec config, any day of the week... The full range of munitions was available... The best bet is to look at combat pics for specific aircraft... (which is typical for any model carrying external ordinance)

You have the decals for VF-31 Tomcatters, off the USS Lincoln, one of the three carriers operating in the Persian Gulf over Afghanistan & Iraq during OEF, OSW & OIF 2002-03....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

8 hours ago, Egilman said:

Here ya go...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/221470-f-14-tomcat-weaponry-config/

Covers typical air to air and some fairly standard OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom) loadouts...

The weapons that come with the kit puts you right into that OIF & OEF time frame...

Hope it helps...

8 hours ago, Canute said:

You may want to glance at both pages, since some drawings were re-done. And some a/g munitions had restrictions on rack locations. Some of the contributors are/were  munitions loaders, so they  have the info.

Restrictions like for the Phantom, could not carry SUU-30 class munitions on the bottom location of the TERs and MERs. Ground clearance.

Thanks for the help, guys.

After reading all that, I can safely say the kit provides WAY more ordnance than one can possibly use on this one kit. While all are slide molded, they are about as up to date and well detailed as any others I have in other kits. Remember the days when Hasegawa sold you a kit and you had to buy the ordnance separately? Today it's just the opposite with many companies. Half the kit parts count is ordnance. Not complaining, just sayin'...

That seat looks good enough to need all the safing pins and flags. Very nicely detailed.

Ken

8 minutes ago, CDW said:

Before I cut the forward fuselage from the sprue, I wanted you to see the slide mold technology used to form the forward fuselage in one piece instead of left and right halves. No seam to deal with.

DSCN4032.JPG

DSCN4033.JPG

DSCN4034.JPG

What an  excellent idea,  so I guess  you  slide  the  tub assembly  in from  rear of the  assembly?

Wish more  kits  would  adapt  this  idea.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

9 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Wish more  kits  would  adapt  this  idea.

They will once the technology comes down in price from being more widespread...

Quote: