Speedwell 1752 by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - FINISHED - Ketch Rigged Sloop

Hi Greg,

I add my congratulations to everyone else's. You have set the highest standard for model builders around the world. An inspiration to look at.

Mark

I as well want to say " Very Well Done" and thanks for sharing  ,  Amazing work :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Amazing work, wow!  Congrats on a fantastic build!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Congratulations to you and David on the completion of such a wonderful model.  She is truly stunning.  Inspirational.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 9 months later...

One last Speedwell photo to finish this log. It is now encased in a display designed and built by my son whose hobby is woodworking. He built it out of Sapele mahogany and I think it compliments the model beautifully.

Question - can anyone suggest a tasteful, non-intrusive method to light up the model? Whatever it is will need to rest on the acrylic top.

IMG_5173.thumb.jpg.664318bb1fddcff582ea763010c71c5c.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Your son has a fine sense of proportion, Greg.   That is a very pleasing leg to apron combination, the display certainly meets the high-standard of the model.

My only thought on lighting is perhaps a small crane-neck lamp, aimed downward and in from the front face of the case.  Perhaps you can find one that is battery powered, otherwise you would have to conceal the cord.  You could hide the cord inside the wall, via a discrete grommet entry, but it doesn’t look like you have an outlet nearby for the cord to pop back out again.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

A very fine looking model, Greg.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Stunning model Greg! And what a beautiful display to compliment it. 

For lighting I would look into fiber optics as a way to get your light up there without wires or any kind of conduit, from there I would research how to focus the light onto your model, surely something is available. You could probably route a couple clear pieces of fiber optic up the back side edges of your clear panels and it wouldn’t even be noticeable.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

some one suggested this already, but an adjustable open top aquarium lamp might work - except they're designed to sit on the top edges of the aquarium sides - you can get ones that are dimmable and that (while quite bright) would not be so intrusive or offensive. They are, however, not cheap...and an enclosed case would require the addition on the top side edges of thin extensions on which the light could rest - here is an image of an aquarium I designed a couple of years ago that shows this. The broad spectrum REBs are high quality, but really designed for plant growth - so bright! But this photo is just to show how the lights fit on the aquarium...and to illustrate what you might need to do do fit something securely on your model case....

I'm on another forum for my aquarium/aquascaping hobby and one time someone there asked about putting a wooden ship model as a decorative element inside the aquarium! It's fun when there's crossover between these two worlds....good luck!

hamilton

IMG_1064.jpeg

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

6 hours ago, dvm27 said:

One last Speedwell photo to finish this log. It is now encased in a display designed and built by my son whose hobby is woodworking. He built it out of Sapele mahogany and I think it compliments the model beautifully.

Talented family.

The closer you get to Canada, the more things will eat your horses. ~ T. King

Greg, congratulations on finishing Speedwell. She and her display are beautiful. As for lighting, I am in favor of not lighting her.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

• The title was changed to Speedwell 1752 by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - FINISHED - Ketch Rigged Sloop