Porsche Carrera GT by CDW - Tamiya - 1:12 Scale - PLASTIC

Three weeks ago, I considered buying this kit for a very good price from Japan, but hesitated, as I don´t like the original car too much. It just doesn´t have the ingredients of a classic to my eye.
Nonetheless, I´m sure you will build a beauty out of this kit and I will follow your progress with the Porsche.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   
                             Shelby Cobra Coupe by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/12 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9

Oh man, I will definitely follow along with this one.  I've built the Tamiya 1/24th scale Carrera GT twice and always wondered about the 1/12th scale version.  I am sure you'll produce a stunning model.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Three weeks ago, I considered buying this kit for a very good price from Japan, but hesitated, as I don´t like the original car too much. It just doesn´t have the ingredients of a classic to my eye.
Nonetheless, I´m sure you will build a beauty out of this kit and I will follow your progress with the Porsche.

Cheers Rob

For the time being, trade with Japan is very good if paying in USD. Items cost is way down from previous years. I know modelers who paid twice as much as I did for this same kit. They bought theirs several years before I bought this one.

Looking forward to this  one also.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

This should another great build. I'll follow this one, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very nice. We see and hear them in our creek valley, flying top cover.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good.  But yes, that is one of the disadvantages of building models of newer supercars.....the engine is mostly hidden and the underside will just be one big, mostly flat panel hiding most of the suspension, in addition to hiding the engine.

- Gary

1 hour ago, gsdpic said:

Looking good.  But yes, that is one of the disadvantages of building models of newer supercars.....the engine is mostly hidden and the underside will just be one big, mostly flat panel hiding most of the suspension, in addition to hiding the engine.

I’ll do some digging, but I am wondering how much if any of the chassis is carbon fiber. Now’s the time to make that happen if it is carbon fiber.

4 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Yes, I used Tamiya Carbon Fiber decals on my MacLaren F1 and I was very pleased with the results.

Yves

Before I commit to CF decals, I'm going to experiment with spray painting a CF effect on scrap plastic. I've seen other modelers use tulle fabric as a mask to achieve a credible-looking CF finish. I think it's worth a try. I'll post the test results here so everyone can see. I have not found anyone who markets precut CF masks or decals, so either way, it's going to take a little time and experimentation to get it close to being right.

I painted a piece of sheet styrene with metallic gray and let it dry. Then a piece of tulle fabric was sprayed with Pixie Spray, a positionable adhesive for stencils. The tulle fabric was applied on the painted surface, then painted with semi gloss black. After removing the fabric, this is the result.

IMG_6555.thumb.jpeg.2b3cb32433ca6ebeee03f8f429fe28d6.jpeg

I think I can live with that instead of decals. After it’s dry, will apply a gloss clear to seal it all in and unify the colors.

Any thoughts?

I think your sprayed on carbon fiber effect looks good and will look even better with a nice gloss coat.  It is a little hard to tell the scale from the picture but I assume the little diamonds are pretty small.  Certainly spraying it is likely to be much easier than decals, especially if there are no pre-cut decals available.

It is interesting in the picture of the full size car that the carbon fiber on the main chassis pieces around the engine look quite different from the two carbon fiber pieces in the lower left and lower right corners of the picture.  I wonder if the chassis CF is real and the other two pieces are more decorative instead of real carbon fiber.

- Gary

25 minutes ago, gsdpic said:

I think your sprayed on carbon fiber effect looks good and will look even better with a nice gloss coat.  It is a little hard to tell the scale from the picture but I assume the little diamonds are pretty small.  Certainly spraying it is likely to be much easier than decals, especially if there are no pre-cut decals available.

It is interesting in the picture of the full size car that the carbon fiber on the main chassis pieces around the engine look quite different from the two carbon fiber pieces in the lower left and lower right corners of the picture.  I wonder if the chassis CF is real and the other two pieces are more decorative instead of real carbon fiber.

The scrap shown is only about 1 sq inch in size.

I noticed that difference in CF as well but thought it was probably due to lighting.

Superb work mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1