Arethusa by Elia - 1907 Knockabout Banks Fishing Schooner

Beautiful schooner Elia,

superbe modeling !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Steve, Russ, Nils, Alfons, and Omega,

Thanks! And to all the 'likes' thank you too!

Russ - those are checker boards. They are temporary barriers put in place when sorting and processing fish hauls coming off of the dories. They were fairly common in the Banks fisheries. The mackerel seiners didn't use them (as far as I am aware of), while the cod and halibut fishing boats did. I don't know why more models don't show them. The link in an earlier post in this log to a Ronnberg model shows them, as do period photos of schooners in the early 1900s.

As to the photography - a bright sunny day helps a lot (light light light). I shoot a Nikon D7000 with an old (but crisp and sharp) 35-70mm f2.8 lens.

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

Hi Elia:

I just discovered your log - beautiful work, and fine engineering of the small parts.  I'll be following along with the rest of your build.

Frank

Steve, Russ, Nils, Alfons, and Omega,

Thanks! And to all the 'likes' thank you too!

Russ - those are checker boards. They are temporary barriers put in place when sorting and processing fish hauls coming off of the dories. They were fairly common in the Banks fisheries. The mackerel seiners didn't use them (as far as I am aware of), while the cod and halibut fishing boats did. I don't know why more models don't show them. The link in an earlier post in this log to a Ronnberg model shows them, as do period photos of schooners in the early 1900s.

As to the photography - a bright sunny day helps a lot (light light light). I shoot a Nikon D7000 with an old (but crisp and sharp) 35-70mm f2.8 lens.

Cheers,

Elia

Hi Elia

Thanks for the explanation about the photos.  In fact, they're looking so good on my MacBook Pro, that I actually wondered if they were computer generated imagery!  Makes my phone camera look very amateurish indeed!!!

All the best!

Elia, nice to see you back, you've been missed.  She's a lovely boat.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Frank, Bob, Omega,

Thank you all. Bob - it is very nice to have a liitle time to work on the boat, and share/interact with everyone here. I am many times just quietly catching a look at MSW, even though I don't have much to add.

Omega - I do sometimes shoot photos with my phone and on many 'quick' shots it does a surprisingly good job. But when the opportunity presents itself - I always prefer shooting with my DSLR.

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

• 2 weeks later...

Shipwrights,

A little more progress on Arethusa - masts and spars.  I've completed the basic shaping of the lower masts, upper masts, and the booms.  In this photo, top to bottom, are the main mast, the fore mast, the main topmast, the fore topmast, the main boom, the fore boom, and the jumbo boom.  Note the scale on the bottom of the green cutting mat in inches.  The grid squares are 0.5 inches per side.  The main and fore masts are just slightly greater in diameter than 3/8 inch.  All were formed from square stock bass wood stock.

post-624-0-60236000-1410722571_thumb.jpg

This closer in photo shows the peculiar shaping of Gloucester schooner spars.  While circular in cross section, they are decidedly not axisymmetric.  The edge of the spar adjacent the sail is straight.  The opposing side is tapered.  The maximum diameter occurs 2/3 distance from the jaws (at the mast) to the tip.  My spars shown still contain a little excess material at each end of the spar.  They are shown with their jaw ends to the right in the picture.

post-624-0-02455400-1410722581_thumb.jpg

[these were taken with my camera phone - quickie photos on the dining table]

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

You make it look so easy Elia! The result looks spot on.

Beeing fully aware of the compley geometry of the masts and spars, just the thought of carving them from a square stock makes me more or less afraid. I have made attempts in making my masts from a circular stock, it didnt turn out to well I think. The spars are even more complex :(

Do you have any additional hints or tricks that you would like to share?

/Alfons

Edited by Alfons

Current Build: Gloucester Fishing Schooner - Blue Jacket - Scale 1:48

Next Project: Riva Aquamarine - Amati

Hi Alfons,

Thanks!  I pretty much follow the steps I outlined in the articles and downloads section:  Making a Mast (or Yard) from Square Stock

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-masts-and-yards.php

I have begun using a hand plane instead of the large file when shaping the octagonal sections, and on the smaller spars using a Michi 3/8" wide flat chisel.  Other than that it is just measuring with proprotional dividers or using tick strips to locate at given length locations the marking points for lines/curves which mark the octagon edges.  I find using a variety of ships curves helps to get flowing curves for shaping the spars.  Once the octagonal shape has been formed I usually just sand the 8 edges off using progressively finer grit sand paper.

To be honest - I find shaping a straight square stock strip (of bass wood, for instance) far easier than shaping a round birch dowel.  And once one has the done the process once or twice it really doesn't take that much time.

And to all those who've 'liked' my posts - thank you very much!

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Very Nice work on the spars Elia, I agree that once you get the hang of shaping the masts from square stock it is so much easier , I think it is because you begin with knowing absolutely where you are with the material.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Elia, once again you prove to be a most valuable source of information and inspiration :) Thank you. 

Challenge accepted, I will make my masts and spars "the right way"! It will take a while before I can start though, but now it doesn't feel like a potential holdback anymore. 

I fully agree with Michael as well, a big problem I had starting from a round dowel was to find points of reference, especially by the square section at the top of the main mast.

Keep up the nice work.

/Alfons

Current Build: Gloucester Fishing Schooner - Blue Jacket - Scale 1:48

Next Project: Riva Aquamarine - Amati

• 2 months later...

Matija,

Thank you very much. I have slowly been puttering along since my last updste. I am thoroughly enjoying watching your Bluenose build.

Cheers,

Elia

PS thank you also to those that have visited my log during my 'quiet' period and 'liked' it.

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Elia, masts and spars are looking great, cant wait to see some more of your awesome rigging talents. I was always blown away by your Oneida realism.

After a long absence from  the msw due to workload , just saw your progress in Arethusa.

Elia you did a great job !! She is absolutely gorgeous. :)

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you for the compliment, for the 'likes', and for stopping in on Arethusa. I work slowly these days, enough so that you could take another long break from MSW and still catch up with my progess again.

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

• 1 month later...

Hi Lawerence,

Thank you very much for the compliments. I look forward to seeing your Annie take shape. It looks like a beauty of a ship that will be quite attractive as a model. I thoroughly enjoyed building up the hull and planking my model. While there is a decent amount of spiling to the hull planks, these fishermen have such attractive hull shapes once planked. And there is actually quite a bit of variety inthe shapes - plumb stems, spoon bows, Fredonia hulls, sharpshooter and clipper bows, deep and shallow draft hulls, not to mention jib booms, pole bowsprits, semi-knockabouts, and knockabout rigs...

With the cold winter weather upon us my basement shop, my man cave, with the emphasis on "cave", is quite uncomfortable for modeling so right now I'm slowly puttering on the masts and spars. I built a dory I intend to use as a master and cast a bunch of them...but that is progressing slowly too.

Cheers

Elia

Edited by Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

• 3 months later...

Hello Elia, Have a great day... Happy Birthday!!! :) :) I cannot send you a pm either..

All the best

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Patrick, Igor, Dimitris, Lawrence,

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! It was a very nice day. And I received some modeling stuff. :)

Patrick,

I've passed 50 by a few... it is hard to imagine/remember being 21... I'm quite happy with my current state (except for random aches and such).  ;)

I'll go check on my mailbox - i must have too many things saved - I'll clear it out.

Cheers,

Elia

Edited by Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Russ,

Thanks for stopping in and sharing your work.  That is fantastic!  That painting captures much of what I imagine the energy on deck was when bring the catch in....with rolling seas...great stuff.  Just wondering - is that Arethusa in the background?

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Shipwrights,

It has been some time since I last posted progress photos and I'll let you in on why there haven't been any... I think I really messed up. I was at the point of staining my masts and spars and decided to use some minwax stain. I applied the pre-stain conditioner, let sit the requisite time, wiped off the excess as directed, and applied the stain. I used the pre-stain conditioner having read that it helped create an even stain coloring, with reduced dark and light regions. I was very happy with the masts and spars in their unfinished state. I was horrified to see the results of the staining - very obvious dark and light regions. OMG as the kids text. Not good. Not only were they dark and light..I wasn't happy with the general pigment. So... I have created a thinned acrylic paint 'wash' to apply over the stain (oil based) to help even the overall look. We shall see. When I get a little further with trials I will show the results.

Elia

Edited by Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Hi Ella -- Thought you'd like to see the painting I did last fall of ARETHUSA with a hard working crew aboard aother fishing schooner in the foreground. Keep up the good work on the model and thanks for the added inspiration.

Best, Russ

Hi Elia -- yes, thats ARETHUSA in the background at the request of the client who commissioned the piece. I was fortunate to have access to Eric R's exceptional model in the Mystic Seaport collections. Can't find how to attach a photo of it here but i'll keep trying. I have lots of them if you think it would be helpful to you. Note the model is deliberately 'weathered', as though she just finished a busy season. Have detail shots of the masts too which show a very uneven finish due to the hoop wear. Best to e-mail me at russ@russkramer.com directly.