Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

Denis,

What Tom said.. . and I'll add:  Go for it!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You're doing what?  Sounds good to me.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I like your enthusiasm.........thank you gentlemen  :)   I will either start another build log for the ex-tree boat,  or I'll continue it here.......makes no never mind to me.  as long as I don't confuse anyone.

disclaimer:   this is not the way to build a hull........proper instruction should be followed elsewhere.

it's really not as bad as it looks,  but it does have a form of necromantic appeal.   at this point,  the sides are planked.......I'm going to shape the stern bulkheads and set it up to plank the bottom.   I want to do an indented 'V' bow......it might not be dramatic {I'll take what I can get at this point},  but it will get away from that rounded hull,  that I got with the original kit build.   I'll post the pictures.........first I have to go and take the living room curtains down.

DOOUUUGGH!   >stupid manual labor.............*

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

OK.........that was fun.....NOT!    I also got enlisted to clean the shower and the bathroom floor.........looks like KP is in my future.   it's Ok.....small tasks  ;)     hello Bob  :)   glad your here.........you can watch me butcher another hull  :D  :D 

back all this up a couple of weeks........can't believe it's been that long since I last posted anything.   pulling out the lobster boat plan {Midwest has it all on one sheet},   the keel was traced out.  instead of cutting all the parts,  I combined as much as I could.   the center spine is two strips of 1/8 flat stock,  cemented together.  I tried to use the scroll saw to cut planking from 1/8 flat stock,  but it didn't go as planned.  the shoe and the bow stem is 1/4 plywood.   the first blunder I made,  was that I cut all the bulkheads from the 1/8 flat stock.........there is not much to pin anything to.   I resorted to using CA for most of the assembly.   making two stern bulkheads will allow me to alter the cockpit deck,  making it longer.   there is also an added rib to support the deck.

post-612-0-33400600-1464276212.jpg

second blunder I found, was in setting up the stern......it looked like it wasn't going to follow the contour of the hull.   I remedied it by flipping these two parts upside down.   it made the sheer line look better,  but I saw later that it made the bottom way out of whack.

post-612-0-02397500-1464276421.jpg

post-612-0-84083400-1464276436.jpg

then,  i guess,  it depended on the angle that it was viewed..........this is when I saw that I had my work cut out for me.

post-612-0-08410500-1464276454.jpg

it was still early..........I could have changed it back.   but I'm not big on ripping things up........I'll make it work.   the first plank was at the bow.......the wood thickness was a real hinder here.  I got it in place though.

post-612-0-50472000-1464276962.jpg

then,  to square off the cockpit bucket and add the sides.

post-612-0-76207700-1464277099.jpg

post-612-0-28108600-1464277117.jpg

you can see the rise of the sides towards the stern.......I have to add material there to bring it up.   I'll use the scraps from cutting out the bulkheads,  to do this.   I had some pieces of 1/16 flat stock.......I cut the m to make the fore and aft plank sills,  and started to plank in the cockpit deck.

post-612-0-37552800-1464277343.jpg

I decided that I wanted the transom to be squared.......like a stern trawler   {I got them darn things on the brain},  so I added a piece to one side of each bulkhead.  just as well........I was a little off on their centering too.   this will also make up for it.  there's more..............

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

the stern is in for more adjustments............then the big 'sand down' to shape it.   you may see add-ons here and there....I probably will forget one or two.   I plan on overlay panels for both sides {cockpit and transom} to hide the noncomformaties.

post-612-0-09382000-1464281880.jpg

you will notice that the hull planking doesn't conform to the cabin and bow bulkheads........that's OK.   this will fan out the hull,  for when I do the bottom planking.   I will cobble in some scrap pieces to better attach and hold the form.   the sides are comprised of six plank strakes......seven for the bow.   I am going to alter the cabin bulkhead to create the cabin......there will be no bow sheer.   I have a picture of another boat I'd love to do.........it can be based from the lobster boat hull as well.  it's interesting,  because there is no sheer on the entire boat.  it's called the Nora Jo.   if I can find the picture,  I'll show ya.....it was given to me by Tom Richardson back in the day.   it's still a pipe dream  ;)  it can be seen how it allows the hull to fan out  towards the bow stem

post-612-0-74099000-1464283615.jpg

the stern under went more modification.....yes,  it looks scary,  but once shaped,  it will look better.  covered,  one will never know.  another thing I plan to do to this hull,  is give it a couple of coats of resin,  to eliminate the plank lines and really smooth out the hull.   I'm going to try and not use a filler,  but it's doubtful.   so.......here's the Frankenstein stern  ;)

post-612-0-28178500-1464283949.jpg

....and the double wall that I spoke of earlier......

post-612-0-54102300-1464284113.jpg

the deck planking is finished too........according to the pictures,  there isn't much that comprises the helm.    I think I have a few ideas left in the 'ole brain box.  we'll see  ;)

post-612-0-14655300-1464284453.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yesterday,  I did manage to reinforce the hull planking to the cabin bulkhead.  it was nice since it's the first time I could use white glue.   I got some more of the scraps from when I cut the bulkheads out.

post-612-0-23565600-1464285231.jpg

one side of the stern has been trimmed off and sanded.   I also hope to lose that notching at the center.   realizing another measurement that I did not take into consideration,  was the width of the hull from the keel.   thinking that the keel might not be centered,  I measured it.........and was relieved to find that both sides measured 3 1/4.  the entire width of the transom is 6 3/4  {1/4 being the thickness of the keel itself}.   good to know  :)

post-612-0-08750700-1464285597.jpg

these were in the camera........glad I checked.   hope to get more done today  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You're in a hurry .. First I thought about a slaughter house, but you got it up and running 100meters in 6s ecs flat ... You look like that roadrunner ... Popeye Roadrunner ... Good luck with the manual labour on the side ... you do not seem to need it on that boat

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

G'day Denis

As you know. I've been away from your log for a while......I felt like I'm turned on the the TV and starting to watch that very old TV series about different realities......you know the one, where its starts by saying we can control the vertical, the horizontal etc....Damm I can't remember the name of the show.

Well mate, with your great work on the "rusty" hull boat, I thought this might become another Andrea Gail......I was enjoying the details very much and I was amazed by your attention to details, and then you went 180 degrees and started this new hull......

HOW CAN YOU DO THAT? Is your head spinning as well, like mine? I wish I can handle 2 jobs at once, nether mind 4 or 5!

Your are doing a great job mate on ALL of your boats.

Keep us intrigue all the time

Havagooday Mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I've just remembered the show....THE TWILIGHT ZONE or something similar.

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Show on TV? Why? Here is Denis's show, and we enjoy watching!

I have no doubt Denis. It will be brilliant, as always

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

it was 'the outer limits' Greg...one of my favorite shows back in the day.   the twilight zone,  night gallery,  and the avengers ran a close second  ;)   I was really flipp'in the coin on this one.........I was trying very hard not to make any more hulls,  until I finished with these that I have.  I think what made me do it,  was I was weary of working on a boat,  that had no resemblance to what I had seen of the Christmas Tree Boat.  ....and yes,  to have built the Andrea Gail from this hull.......my initial thought when I built the original frame........I found it quite satisfying  :)  keen to note........I didn't do much jumping 'round once I started it either........ahhhhh,  such a good tangent  ;)   I thank you all for your kind comments....and to those who hit the like button.   I've made some headway on the transom.......it looks much better now.   there is a little more to do before I plank the bottom part of the hull.   I also roughed out the sheer sides....still to do the transom.  I don't want to put them on yet.......in case I need an access  to the interior.   then I can do the bow cabin......I need to see if there are any more pictures of this boat,  so I can see how it is laid out.   I do have some pictures,  but they are still in the camera.........when I can,  I will post them   :)    more progress soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

in my younger days Nenad.........one of my nicknames was 'Dennis the Menace'  ;)  :D     another of my favorites too  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Denis.

That's right...the outer limits. That's it. A great show as as Dennis the menace.

Memories of our youth.

Havagooday

Greg

Hi Dennis,

I haven't looked in lately and when I do, what do I get, peppered with wood chips and the sight of yet another keel being laid down.

Just go to it mate, I've given up on giving up, if I had a white flag it would be fluttering briskly in the breeze.

I wont ask what it is your going for now as I'm sure it will change in the near future once your mind has got a grip on what it is you hope to build.

What you've done looks good to me and I'm sure will only get better.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I do apologize Mobbsie.....I don't want to confuse anyone.   it's just that the direction that the other hull was taking,  I find it better to just let it go,  to turn out the way it's going to.   I think I picked the wrong hull to portray the subject.  I'm not losing a Tree Boat.......I'm gaining a fishing boat  ;)  I think once the hull is assembled,  it will make more sense  :)

so I looked in the camera finally........dismayed to find only these three pictures though.......I thought I had taken more.  I've done some work to the stern / transom,  bringing it more to the shape it needs to be.   when I get it closer to what's required I can even every thing out and get back to planking the bottom.

post-612-0-53253100-1464709390.jpg

the top line of the transom is leveled out.   later I can cap this out.........I'll most likely plank over it as well.   for the bottom, I made fillers using one of the proceeding bulkheads,  fitting and cementing it in place.  the same was done to the other side as well.

post-612-0-46573300-1464709590.jpg

post-612-0-94792500-1464709604.jpg

still a bit more to do here...........sanding and shaping

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Alot of work waiting for you, seems to be that!

Hi John

The only difference between men and boys is the price for toys :D

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

I am still here watching your progress and turns, been an enjoyable watchable story so far, keep up the good work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Denis

As an avid follower of this build log, there's no doubt that it's certainly been a roller coaster ride, and a truly enjoyable one for sure.

I like where the Tree Boat's hull is heading.

Of course, with the original hull, the bonus is that your Andrea Gail will now have a sister, as well.

Nice!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Denis,

WOW, just took me an hour or two to go through this log and boy, is this an ambitious project. Production line?? I am looking forward to the rest of the log.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

this past week has been a bit of a let down for me.........I haven't been able to get back to the Tree Boat.   I am finding that shaping the bottom the way I want to is going to be a bit of work......I will hopefully get back to her this week  ;)   >fingers crossed<  

thanks to all your kind comments........leave it to me to pick a subject like this.   my choice of hulls wasn't the best either....I think I should have thought of  'application' ,  rather than what I could do with these hulls  ;)   still..........I'm glad that you folks enjoy the build,  even though it's turned into more of a trilogy,  than an actual build log.

I dunno John.......I think it's a toss up on the exhaust issue.........vent it to the open air,  or vent it below the water line.  venting it  in the water .....one would think that it would not only pollute the water,  but the bubbles rising to the top would burst and vent to the open air.  I've only seen venting below the waterline with pleasure boats and larger outboard motors.  then again....what do I know......I'm a land lubber  :D  :D

hello Marc....glad to have you aboard  :)    if you think this is interesting,  wait till I roll out the Bluenose project.  I'm actually itching to start it,  but the admiral got me the Sergal Thermopylae for Christmas.  she'd be hopping mad if I started to mess with it before then.

thanks again everyone........and all who hit the like button.    there is more to come!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

happy ta say I 'as been to the table today.......some is good........some is not so good.   I yam mak'in progress though and should have a report fer yas ta read soon

post-612-0-48323100-1465417062.gif

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I promised these to you the other day.........but the allure of being at the table {and of course,  errands},  kept me at bay.  I have also been trying to catch up on all the scuttle butt here as well..........I have to say,  you folks are far more busy,  than I am   :D   :D   

so........here is where I am.....where I last left off   ;)    first,  I figured I'd get all the ducks in a row with the aft bulkheads.  it took a little sanding,  but they are now close to even....all the way back.

post-612-0-18787000-1465569456.jpg

the transom looks a bit better too...

post-612-0-11389000-1465569493.jpg

the cabin bulkhead wasn't conforming well with the contour.   since none of the interior will be seen,  I add fillers for the bottom planking.

post-612-0-16119200-1465569637.jpg

adding two rows to begin the bottom on the starboard side,  I failed to pay attention to the bulkheads meeting with the edge.......you'll see that I add a length of 1/16 strip stock to fill in the nonconformity.   I did some sanding here to see how it would even out.......I do want to keep the edge.

post-612-0-22079800-1465569949.jpg

one thing I didn't do.......that I should have done........was some tapering at the bow.  this in turn caused most of the planking problems at the cabin bulkhead.   it does have a plus though........it gives more to the hull sides,  instead of transitioning to the turn of the chine.   where I didn't install the framing that would create the chine lip {what a way to describe it   :D },  this might be harder to do.   I'll have to rely on the hull sides to create it.

post-612-0-04411700-1465570292.jpg

now.......I want to do something different with the bottom bow section.   this is where the whole problem is.   not tapering the bow planks is causing the sides to bow outward.   I did taper one of the bottom row planks,  but it's not enough.....I should have started sooner.  I had a thought to cap off the bottom.......but there is still room on the bow stem for a few more rows of planking ,  before the garboard is laid.   I took a 1/16 strip and cemented it inside,  as a shelf for the bottom planking.   I later abandoned this as a bad idea.

post-612-0-31981300-1465570816.jpg

so,  I'm stuck with this at the moment,  until I find a suitable remedy.

post-612-0-01603600-1465571145.jpg

thoughts of cutting the planking away from the stem and adjusting it there.....comes to mind.........but ohhhhhh,  think of the stress.  it may even distort the contour of the bow.   I have another idea that I'm working on.......I'll see if it works out.

I needed a moral boost....so I cemented the sheer caps on the aft end,  around the cockpit bucket.  I did some sanding after these were in place.........I can bask in the little ray of sunshine :)   ;)     speaking of which.......ya know,  it's been really cool 'round here of late.  the temps have not been that high.  cripes........last week,  we were dying with the heat

weather.........she is fickle........AKk--k--k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k!   post-612-0-91695900-1465571673.gif

Note to self :     "hey moron!  why don't you add the last two pictures!   folks wiill think your nutz!"  

yea......that would help,  now wouldn't   dugh!

post-612-0-64027800-1465572153.jpg

post-612-0-61174300-1465572168.jpg

>never a dull moment at the Wharf  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Houston Popeye has a problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it too late to build a Flare into the bow, it would mean reshaping your first bulkhead though. A bit like the old PT boats of WW2. ??

Good Luck

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-