Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

thanks Gerhard..........and all who hit the like button :)      been doing more on her this morning...............and then diss-asta struck!

:o WHAAAAAAAAT!  NOOOOOOOOOOOO!     uh-ohhhh

surely it's a small set back.........show ya what happened a bit later.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Uh-oh... I hope it's not serious Denis.  She was coming along very well once you figured out the look you were after.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

fear not Mark............{famous last words} .......remember,  I said the words  'icky may' {or is it spelt icky mae}  I'd put the clip I have in my you tube vids about Beetlejeuce tell off the deet's,  after they declined his offer.   ahhhhhhhh,  but the F-bomb would kill the mood :D  :D   it's wasn't that serious  {did you hear the ominous organ playing?}

it went like this.........I use a couple size drills to reach the size hole,  where I can use a sandpaper dowel.   I tried to rush it.......but since it's basswood,  and only 1/32 thick to boot.  it didn't like what I was doing.   it ripped out a chunk of wood.

what I ended up doing,  instead of tearing out the whole piece,  was to trim it out as square as I could and glue in a piece.......sanded later.  it will be filled with putty later and sanded.  you'll see in a moment.

wood can be fickle.......the harder the wood,  the cleaner hole you can make.   I was going to do a piece on wood-ology on another site,  but they drew the wrong folks.......the folks that frequented there didn't care.  all they wanted was to get their answers,  answered,  and off they'd go....most likely,  never to be heard from again.   look at wood down to it's fiber......softer wood has stringy,  loose fiber,  while harder wood is more compact,  bonded together in it's own pulp.  it also affects it's bend ablilty.   I like to use the softer woods like basswood and obechi........but they do have their drawbacks.  basswood is smoother that obechi,  which is usually rough cut,  like someone used a dull blade.   it bends better than basswood though and it's a lot cheaper.   basswood does not drill well either......it tends to want to tear at the most inopportune time,  and that's what it did here.   sadly,  the only picture I took was the repair.....but believe me,  it's bad enough.once I could work with it again,  I used my sanding dowels........I'm sure some of you use these too.   different size dowels with sandpaper glued around them.   I took a different approach this time.....I left the paper loose on the dowel.   once it was in the hole,  it was twisted backwards so that the paper would fan outwards in the hole,  enlarging it as it was moved in and out.

post-612-0-91130100-1467252066.jpg

the one on the bottom is the loose fitted one.   here it the starboard side after I had enlarged the holes.  I still have some portholes from the Nordkap boon,  that I'm going to fit in them.   I also have some of the Testor's window maker left over,  and I'll be using it to make the 'glass'.  the boat only has one porthole on each side, but I decided to add a couple more for copyright reasons.   ............not that I'm at all worried about the small stuff.......folks should be happy that someone think their boat is model-worthy.   here's what it looks like.........

post-612-0-79862000-1467253235.jpg

.........a little bit of putty.   this stuff was kinda dry......didn't want to stick too good.   I usually add a little water to it,  to make it more like a thick paste.   I have two tubes and I added too much water to the other one........I need to combine these two together and cure the problem.   I'm going to need it for the hull soon.

post-612-0-59428500-1467253428.jpg

giver some sanding after it was dry made it look better.......the inconsistency you see might be the CA that showed though after sanding.

post-612-0-44149500-1467253536.jpg

now........the other side came out much better.   the wood did tear a little,  making a rough hole,  but I passed a dowel through them a few times to clean them up some.

post-612-0-11054300-1467253633.jpg

sized large enough for the portholes,  this side is almost finished.   even with sanding,  care needs to be taken with basswood.......the front hole is slightly oblong.   I need to fix it.

post-612-0-24217600-1467253748.jpg

I like this picture........the shape of the bow allows both sides to be seen.   the idea of the three portholes is pretty good too........kinda gives it a bit of a  'capt. Nemo' look  :)     I only have two more portholes left now,  and one more square window frame,  from the Nordkap boon.  the rest of the parts......the winch and the anchor winch....{I think that's all that's left}........will be used on the trawler Syborn.   I've had such an urge to flesh out the mast on that one........undecided if I want to add a mast top on it {I would then have to make a ladder for it.....ugh!  another ladder!!!}

my god.......I'm babbling tonight!.......it's almost like I don't get out much :rolleyes:   cripes.....I'm all over the map,  aren't I?!?!?!

here is the picture.........enjoy  ;)

post-612-0-29869500-1467254311.jpg 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nice save Dennis. Moving your sandpaper across the side of the plywood, certainly this thin, always rips of part of the top layer ... move along with the flow, as with most things ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Denis

I really like the shape of your new boat, especially the bow cabin. It gives it a really nice and distinctive shape.

What also amazes me is just how different this hull is from your original hull. I can now understand what must have driven you to make this new hull, because it certainly seems that the original hull was more of a fishing boat design. This hull seems to suit your vision much better!

I'm not as confused as before, because I understand better where you're heading now.

Keep going!!

Cheers

Patrick

thanks for looking in and the kind comments.   reality can be a hard thing,  especially when one gets as far on a design,  and finds out that it's really not a good fit.   I'm lucky that there is another direction I can take.    thinking of how futuristic it looks...........I thought of something a bit more involved.......and quickly blotted it out!   ........a river boat?!?!?!?     "Welcome to my Nightmare"

good thing this isn't plywood Carl..........it would have been a tougher repair.  I work a lot with flat stock.......1/32 x 4 x 24......1/16 x 4 x 24....etc.   I have found it wider........I get it when I can.   I will most likely have to give it a seal coat,  unless the resin will lay down the tiny hairs that basswood produces after sanding.   I try to use a real fine paper for the finish work,  but they do have a tendency to rise anyway.   I still have some ground to make up......I'm not at the point yet,  where I was with the other boat.   

I was hesitant Patrick....I really didn't want to confuse anyone.   this needed to happen though........I was thinking too much 'fishing boat'  and not enough 'tree boat'.   the perception and sad reality caught up with me....especially when in my travels,  I would run across those pictures.   the thoughts that would go through my head after were getting pretty loud.   time to answer them.......and shut'em down.....once and for all  ;)

I combined those two tubes of wood filler last night.........while I was play'in on the computer,  I was shaking it.  kneading the tube from time to time.....I think it got a good mixing.    I'm still doing it this morning  :)    I'm messing with another aspect at the moment........I really should be thinking about the hull and what I'm going to do with it.  the admiral is eyeballing my table..........the shavings and such are beginning to hit the floor.   time to clean,  one thinks ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

started right off early today........figured out what to do about the shoe.  odd that I didn't do it before it went out to the garage.........darn thing STILL hasn't broken off!   hmmmmmm,  what to do this morn.....I know!   I'll play with a bunch of scrap wood!   "......that should be good 'n hostile!",  he said with a devilish grin.

post-612-0-99344200-1467314017.jpg

I had cut out the bottom part of the windshield using 1/8 scrap stock {used to be a big piece}.   but.......something else could be done.......I was sure of it.   sure.......I'll make a sandwich :)    here's the formula.......1/32 + 1/32 + the thickness of clear cello.......should add up to the thickness of the windshield "box".  I'm not pleased with that either.......I think that when I do what I'm gonna do regarding the sides of the helm {there's gonna be something there},  I'm gonna trim'em.  so,  now to make identical plates

post-612-0-47905300-1467314683.jpg

I had to keep track of how the pieces were cut and glued.......later I'll need to tape them together for sanding.   then I though how cool it would be if it had tinted windows.....so I went and got that roll I had found >hoarded<

post-612-0-37633000-1467316171.jpg

I'll be able to do many builds with this.........it's a huge piece.    by this time,  the two windshield plates were taped together,  and the process of fitting them was taking place.   this took a while.......I had cut it a bit wider.....larger.....so that it could be shaped without ruining the part..........especially now,  that it has been assembled.   I expected some breakage during the process.........with some wax paper in between,  I could re-cement the broken part without having to take it apart.

post-612-0-13972500-1467316569.jpg

every once in a while,  I would dry fit it in place......it was sticking out above the side pieces.  it was getting closer towards being level...as I went along........the air gap between the windshield and the bulkhead was my guide.

post-612-0-37419700-1467316759.jpg

post-612-0-50760300-1467316772.jpg

when I do inside the helm bulkhead........this will be hard to see.   with more sanding and trimming,  it looked even better, as far as the air gap went

post-612-0-08293900-1467316906.jpg

post-612-0-10534700-1467316919.jpg

what is left now,  I can probably skim off the top,  without notice.   the portholes were trimmed of any flash and stuck to the sticky side of some painter's tape,  waiting for paint.  the hull went to the garage.........the only thing I can do now,  since the hull is drying,   is make the stand for it.   I did clear the table....it looks much better.   first the stand parts were traced out.

post-612-0-32853400-1467317349.jpg

...and that was the last picture that my camera let me take.  it needed to be charged.  I was able to assemble the stand in the time it took to charge the camera........this is how it came out.

post-612-0-99472200-1467317570.jpg

hopefully,  I can post some after shots of the hull

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the filler work cleaned it up rather well..........looks more to contour.   here's a picture of her in her new stand.......the initial fit is really good.  I just have a few touch ups to do before I can start with the resin.   it should fill in the rest.......at least,  that's what I'm banking on.   now I need to get my painting stuff from out of the cellar....hard to believe I haven't done it yet.   this will be a good thing........I can use the 25 gal compressor again!  the small compact one is OK.......but I can regulate the pressure with the Craftsman a lot better.   I'll make those side boards too.........Gibbs goes a bit crazy if I use the dremmel in the house.   I can trim those two pieces for the windshield.

post-612-0-35013200-1467380090.jpg

this one is not too flattering..........perhaps you may be able to see the contour of the bow.

post-612-0-62972300-1467380138.jpg

I've touched up the hull again.........when dry I can finish it off.   then the resin......really interested to see how this works out  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I gotta hand it to ya, Denis, she's really coming along in leaps and bounds! I especially love the.last photo which emphasises the contour of the bow. Interesting shape.

I'm looking forward to the resin and paint being applied.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks Patrick........little did I know there would be a few errands this morning.   get done with them.......and it's raining....not a very productive day.  there's still hope though  ;)

thanks for the good word  :)   personally,  I thought the last photo was a bomb.......thought it would be hard to see the contour of the bow.   I'm gonna go get my eyes checked  :D  :D  glad you like where this is going.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Denis.  

Not a 'bomb' in my mind, at all.  I guess what appealed to me in the last photo is the fact that the entry to the underwater part of the bow looked really fine, i.e. reminiscent of the three hulled boat that you showed earlier.  (I hope I'm making sense!).

Cheers

Patrick

Very nice progress Denis, she's beginning to look really spiffy.  Like what you did with the bow.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

well,  thanks Patrick.....and thanks as well Piet.    glad to know that I did something that resembles a tri-hull.  the thing that is noticeable on them,  is that the bow is a lot broader,  and doesn't come to a point.   I think the only way this worked as well as it did,  was my lack of tapering the planks.  it turned into a blessing  ;)   I still haven't done the resin......I'm not sure it will affect it....but it rained here and now it's humid as hell.   I may still get a chance to get out there...although it's 8 PM right now.   I did manage to do something on her........    thanks again for your kind comments  :)

so......with the looks improving,  I thought I'd take care of the mal-positioned shoe.   since a rudder would be useless out there in never-never land,  and would require a tiller and an upper shaft bracket {so cool.....I'm making the parts up now  :D }

........I gotta bring all this back into perspective.

post-612-0-57066900-1467417741.jpg

the first thing I did,  was chop a section out,  with the shoe still attached.   it still boggles my mind it hasn't broke off yet...I have had that hull 'three ways to first night'. {well......that's what they said in that book I wuz read'in}   another notch was cut out to transplant the shoe.    liberal elbow grease there too 

post-612-0-63078300-1467418197.jpg

Dr. Howard,  Dr. Fine, and Dr Howard will be assisting me at this pint........errrrr....point!  the shoe was transplanted onto the patient.

post-612-0-33918200-1467418432.jpg

while they were here....we grafted the prop........only a two blade lefty folks......'tis all I got on hand.

post-612-0-88220500-1467418533.jpg

I guess I should add the rudder at this time too........the hole was drilled in the shoe and the bottom of the stern.   a rudder was fashioned from some 1/8 scrap stock.   I still have a bunch of those small dowels....a whole bottle full.

post-612-0-15555700-1467418783.jpg

I won't need any of these dowels for quite some time  ;)    I don't know how I did it,  but I managed to drill the hole through the rudder without ruining it........shows you how small these dowels are.   the rudder's ready......I'm ready..... the rudder was pinned into place.

post-612-0-52194400-1467418963.jpg

I removed the prop so it would be out of the way.......and to see if I can remove it for painting purposes.  it can be done!

OK..........put it back in place,  and here is what the final assembly looks like.

post-612-0-78634300-1467419063.jpg

I might add some brass parts here and there.  for now though,  it still need to go back to the garage.  I'm hoping that the next time I get back to her,  I can even do some painting.   first things first.........get the hull back in order....the few touch ups and sanding.....and then the main event  :)

post-612-0-48116800-1467420030.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I do like the way this is shaping up, Denis.  The portholes in the bow area, and the prop/rudder.  Her lines look good to my eye.  I'm enjoying watching where you take her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark......and that to all who hit the like button  :)    first day back at work...........I wish I had some gusto left.......     I hafta say......I don't like the 'lag' when one first gets back to the normal routine...........but man......one loves everything in between!  ;)

once the progress gets past the hull........there's more..    I'll try and make it interesting  ;)

thanks again!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yeah Denis, do try making it interesting - - - - - so far it's been very dull - NOT!  Just kidding of course.  It's been a very interesting project and fun to see it come together.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

VERY INTERESTING, the journey unfolds a little more.

A very different shape to what you normally Denis, I like it, from the hull shape, fore peak and rudder.

Good clean work mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I do apologize for the late reply.........I was on here the other day after work.......and I was actually falling asleep as I was writing  {if that's possible} .

getting back to work after a vacation really stinks........I'm looking forward to the day when I can have the full time vacation  :)   gonna be a bit broken with the progress.......gotta work a couple nights at the airport,   but I'm sure I can gain some ground during the day.  I appreciate the kind comments and thanks to all you fine folks who hit the like button.   the big thing now is to make some sense out of those two pieces I added to the cabin bulkhead.

more progress soon.........;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey friend, so glad I'm getting a chance to catch up.  What beautiful work.  I'm really, really digging the shape of that hull and bow. That's awesome stuff.  

- Bug

just catching up.... nice surgery there Denis ...... you really do have the skill of a surgeon!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Frank and Sean........the hull is a bit off the beaten path.    I thought it would be fun to try.   it might have turned out better if the bow was broader,  but a goof on my part made it happen  ;)     it would have been impossible to do,  if I went from the garboard up.    last week was a lost cause...my frame of mind was in a bad place.............but this week {starting with my work week} hasn't been too bad.   I actually got a little done today.   I was going to hold off on this bit,  but I felt that it needed to be done,  so I can blend it in with the resin.   I'm hoping to do the final sanding later.   everyone saw the transom,  and how  'hairy' it looks.    this is what basswood does.....the fibers want to stick up.   I'm hoping some fine sandpaper knocks a lot of it off,  so it can get a smooth hull.

I'll have an update soon.........gotta go to the store {I hope it's a quick jaunt  ;) }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Supper build popeye.....I was wondering if you are a full on/full off builder like myself?

I just popped in to say great job......work gets in the way far too often with our ship building funnary...... :P

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

yes it does Rob..........one of these days......perhaps I can retire,  and then........look out!  :D    when I began building wooden ship back in 2009,  I never thought for a moment,  that I'd be sitting here today with several projects on the go.    makes me wish I was bolder in my younger day,  to give it a try.

thanks for popping in.......feel free to follow long  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

this week has proved to be a bit better.........hectic,  but left me in a better frame of mind.  I got some table time in yesterday, and did something I was going to put off till after the hull was done.   I still have a tiny bit more to do in the adjustment of the windshield......but the frames I installed a while ago are screaming to be altered.    along with this aspect,  I want to add a pair of decorative side shields to box in the cabin / helm bulkhead.   taking a piece of 1/32 flat stock,  the dimensions of the cabin bulkhead was traced out......part of it anyway.........

post-612-0-84677000-1468419908.jpg

then from a piece of 1/8 flat stock,  the shields were cut out.

post-612-0-65328800-1468419962.jpg

some trimming done on the bulkhead cover.......the bottom area of it.

post-612-0-19173200-1468420078.jpg

starting with the port side,  the bottom part of the shield was cemented in place.   the area that will be cut off was marked on the frame.

post-612-0-34773900-1468420209.jpg

the top part of the side shield was cemented in place.....once sanded,  it come out looking alright.   there was a small oopsie  at the bottom.......it was filled with CA and sawdust.

post-612-0-31548400-1468420409.jpg

the same thing was done on the starboard side......it came out a little better though...

post-612-0-58850100-1468420455.jpg

.....and with the shield in place......

post-612-0-37184300-1468420489.jpg

post-612-0-48502000-1468420503.jpg

more cutting was done to the bulkhead cover....I ended up having to make a couple of adjustments to it.  I might not use it.

post-612-0-73291000-1468421390.jpg

I will use it though to plan out the bulkhead layout.....starting with the cabin door.

post-612-0-99423500-1468421479.jpg

I will work on this more.......show you how that bulkhead cover looks in place.......the wings on the sides don't fully cover behind the shields....I dunno...............I'll do something  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

that hull is coming together very nicely, and an interesting shape for the forward cabin....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Nils.......and thank you Mr. cool for the likes  :)    I finally did it.......I went down into the cobweb infested cellar and got all my paint stuff.   it's a very nice day........hot enough to do some painting maybe ;)     I may just curb what I'm doing at the moment and go on out there.

update soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

:omg:              look what I done to my boat.............ma!

well.........it is done.....the hull has now been resinized!    after I blew the dust out of the admiral's vacuum filter,  and then the table I'll be doing it on.   as you saw from the last pictures, the hull hasn't been sanded yet from the second wave of filler.

this was done first thing.........I'd say that a good 90% of the filler was removed.  I brought it down even more from the first time.    

post-612-0-69893400-1468430231.jpg

post-612-0-99861500-1468430245.jpg

bad thing is,  that I didn't think to use a finer sandpaper on the transom.   I'll see later if I'll have to run paper over it.......I'll have to do it anyway.   what I'm using is a fiberglass resin,  which requires a hardener to activate it.

post-612-0-62180000-1468430392.jpg

this is a bit after the fact.......the tell-tale brush and can pan.   I used a brush to apply it.......as soon as I mixed in the hardener,  the clock started ticking.   I have the two windows and the garage door open,  with a slight breeze.....ambient temp is around 90 degrees.  had I done this in the AM....I would have had more time.   the next time I do this,  I will include a fan...........smelled the high heavens!

post-612-0-75878700-1468430705.jpg

post-612-0-54392900-1468430720.jpg

post-612-0-62194500-1468430735.jpg

I will need to pay a little attention to this area.  I will also find out if my theory was right........that this stuff should fill in any minor imperfections.   we shall see.......

post-612-0-68171300-1468430861.jpg

I know I will have to give it a light sanding.......brush marks and such.    I was amazed at the color change......it really shows too,  just how much filler I left on there.    I even did the cabin.   the areas I did not do are the aft sheer tops and the cockpit bucket.   after I was done.......I got right out of there........I was glad to get in the fresh air {I was holding my breath half the time}.   I though to get the picture of the resin,  so I went back out.    I guess it was 15 mins or so......got the picture and passed by the hull.   I put a finger on it to see how it felt.....it was barely tacky....somewhat dry to the touch.   I figure that I'll leave it out there for an hour or so,   making sure that it's good 'n dry before I bring it into the house.    I'm not real sure if it's OK to paint....I'd probably need to give it a few more hours.

post-612-0-70430400-1468432185.jpg

post-612-0-10997100-1468432199.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye...what are your impressions of the resin?  I assume it is your sealant?

Next question...is this boat RC?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi Denis

Wow, you've made heaps of progress since your last update. The resin's going to add strength and rigidity, as well as giving you a solid foundation for the painting.

I'm still struck by (I know I've said it before), just how different it is from your original hull. Your gut-feeling that the first hull didn't fulfill your original vision is vindicated by this new boat. It just shows that you made the right decision to go with this hull.

I'm also loving the front cabin, with its angled sides and round cabin windows. Loads of character, for sure.

Love it.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234