HMB Endeavour by kiwiron - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:54

Beautiful !! Ron......... When I first clicked on to your last post I thought it was a picture of the replica ship....... Very nice work indeed!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Next job is the futtock shrounds then,ratlines.Has anyone got suggestions for ratline spacing,i was thinking 10mm between them might be o.k.Going with Pat's option 3 diagram for the layout.thanks.ron.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hi Ron, I went with 13" actual spacing.  Not sure of your scale, but you should be able to sort that - my simple formula is 13 x 25.4 = about 330mm (330.2 actually) then divide by the scale; in my case 1:60 which results in a 5.5mm spacing.  10mm seems to be a bit large unless you are building at a much different scale?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Ron, there are a couple of free graph paper apps on line (just Google) that allow you to specify spacing (Major and minor units) and set the associated line weights.  I can't recal the one I used at the moment but should be easily found.

I simple printed off a couple of A4 sheets then uses these as my background template by using hair clips to temp pin the m to the shrouds.  You can see what I mean towards the latter posts in my log.  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/400-hmb-endeavour-by-banyan-al-160-circa-1768/page-12

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

printfreegraphpaper.com is the one I found,thanks a lot Pat.I'll use the quarter inch size that gives me 6mm spacing which is perfect.

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hi Ron,

different sources say that the distance between two ratlines was about 40 cm with a certain variance (some say it was more than 50 cm esp with spanish or german ships). So our Occres should have about 7.5mm/ 8mm for the ratlines. In my opinion it is also important to have a good appearance so I think about 1 cm. Shrouds and ratlines then make almost a quadratic "field" :) But this is of course an individual point of view. I am looking forward to see your progress...  BTW what do you think about a Change in the order: Would it be usefull to wait with the ratlines until the Yards and the running rigging for the sails are fixed? Perhaps one can work easier with no ratlines... don't know yet...

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hi Ron

This Occre model is the same as the one I am building, and I am positive that the scale is 1:51, and Pat is right royal navy ratlines were usually 13 inches apart. So the spacing should be 13 x 2.54 = 330mm divided by scale (51) equals 6.5mm

Re the catharpins, I don't know how fussy you want to be but I served mine all over, but the important thing is to get them all exactly the same length so that they all pull equally tight when the topmast shrouds via the futtock shrouds put tension on them by wanting to spread the lower shrouds. I made the catharpins with an eye at each end then tied them to the futtock staves with thin cotton.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by shipaholic

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Thanks for your advice Pat,Max and Steve.I haven't looked ahead to the sails yet.Thats a good way to do the catharpins,i'll see how mine go when I fix the futtock shrouds on.

I settled on 7mm spacing for the ratlines,i have enjoyed doing them so far.Onto the port side now.

post-837-0-03190800-1446361273_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-46393100-1446361311_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-59155400-1446361333_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiwiron

Ron:

I'm new to this forum & just found your build log. What a fabulous job you have done. You should be extremely proud of your work. I noticed earlier in your build, when you were just beginning your second planking that some of your thumbnail pictures did not appear. Do you know what happened & did you happen to save those pictures that you could possibly re-post.

best regards

J Lombard

Thanks Frank and J Lombard and for all the likes.A while ago a lot of peoples photos didn't appear or got wiped out.I managed to add them now using the edit feature,i'll go back and add the other missing ones sometime.Page 6 is the second planking,just give the second planking a very light sanding as they are very thin.Post a build log and you can get great advice on you build.I spend more time looking at others Endeavours than working on mine.ron. 

Lower ratlines done.Stays or upper shrouds next, who knows.I don't want to attach the bowsprit yet it got in the way a lot on my last one.

post-837-0-02839400-1446502107_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-48549200-1446502119_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-41037600-1446502127_thumb.jpg

Good job Ron, still doing mine; port side completed today (lower and upper) - now for the other side. 

cheers

Pat

shrouds and ratlines look really sweet Ron.    you've gone quite a ways since I last looked in  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to doing something.Futtock shrouds done,top shrouds,tie the deadeyes together next.After 5 years we are finally getting the house rebuild after the Chch earthquakes so the present house will be demolished next month.

post-837-0-63129800-1455178719_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-59351600-1455178721_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-26190600-1455178723_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-18183600-1455178725_thumb.jpg

Nice work on those shrouds Ron.... looking good!!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

You're welcome!!.......

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

All the ratlines are done,i find it quite relaxing and easy compared to most other things.I'll attach the bowsprit next much easier doing the rats without it there.Don't you hate it when trimming the ratlines you cut through the main shroud line and yes you do it more than once,oops.

post-837-0-84157000-1455350911_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-07354400-1455350916_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-69563500-1455350921_thumb.jpg

post-837-0-15411100-1455350924_thumb.jpg

It's been awhile since I've looked in, Ron.  Life and all that.  You Endeavour is looking great.  Very impressive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)