Gahm

US Brig Syren by Gahm - Model Shipways

I finished the remaining 11 carronade barrels. I used Cladercraft’s 18 pdr barrels (image 1) which - as already mentioned several times in this forum - fit Chuck’s Syren carronade drawings very nicely. I modified them a little by reducing the elevation screw holder in size (image 2a, lower barrel original size, upper barrel reduced size), milled 2 slots for breech ring and gun sight pieces (images 2b and 2c), milled a flat area over the predrilled hole to mount a little brass cube with a pin as basis for the barrel hinge (image 1 and image 3a), and after silver soldering, drilling the hinge hole, and a “little clean-up” with a rotary tool and diamond burr ended up with the finished barrel (image 3b). Image 4 shows the 11 finished carronade barrels after blackening and coating them with Model Master’s Flat Lacquer overcoat.

Thomas

post-925-0-21086600-1446324580_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-24293500-1446324581_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-03325100-1446324582_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-06485400-1446324584_thumb.jpg

Image 4

That must have pained you greatly having to paint those beautiful brass carronades Thomas.  :)  I know what you mean about measuring the drawings and making the other barrels work.  That also works in reverse as the 1:76 scale  24 lb. cannon on my kit are the same size as Chuck's 12 pounders in 1:64 scale. So those will work for the long guns. Still looking to source some brass carronades though.  

George, Brian, Greg, Bob, Sal, Nils, JP, thank you so much for your kind comments! And thanks for all the likes! Feed back in general, and this kind of positive feed back in particular, is always very welcome and highly appreciated!  :)

Thomas

Thomas, this is a very beautifully crafted model, congratulations on your skills, for muppets like me struggling with my first build it is an awesome example !

Love it to bits, Thanks for allowing us to follow and learn from your build.

regards Frank

Frank, thank you so much for your kind words! I learned a lot of new techniques and good ideas from build logs of other members in this forum. For me this really is part of the fun besides building the model - the exchange of ideas and solutions to modeling problems  :)

Thomas

Thomas,

I haven't been on MSW for a long time and have yet to catch up with all the nice builds here. I have seen what can be done with a lot of skill and creative thinking to bring these kit builds to a higher level. Along with yourself, Dirk and Augie, to name a few, it's a pleasure to see the results of your hard work.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

George, Mike, and Bob, thank you so much for your kind comments! And thanks for all the 'likes'. I am quite happy not to touch a carronade for a while! But then there are still the long guns . . .   :)

Thomas

Nils, Dirk, and Sal, thank you for your compliments! It is always very motivating to get this type of feedback!

Dirk, I knew that you could not help yourself but point out the next wonderful task on hand, the carronade rigging!  :D  

Thomas

After getting distracted by a lot of other (mostly business related) projects I finally found some time to resume work on my Syren. Now the long gun prototypes, which I have shown on my model during the last 2 years, need to be replaced with the final versions. As there are only 2 guns I decided to make the gun barrels myself based on Chuck’s Syren plans. Images 1a – 1d show the different steps of turning one of the gun barrels. In image 2e the trunnion holes are drilled. After a “sanity check” with one of the gun carriages from the Syren kit the barrel is separated from the raw metal piece and the gun muzzle finished (img 2g). Img 3a shows the barrel with trunnions in place, the locations for the breech ring and touch-hole parts milled out, and the parts lying beside the barrel. The assembled gun barrel and Chuck’s plans are depicted in images 3b and 3c. The final result after blackening can be seen in image 4.

Thomas

post-925-0-83773000-1454071346_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-36044600-1454071347_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-70291800-1454071347_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-41059900-1454071348_thumb.jpg

Image 4

Edited by Gahm