US Brig Syren by Gahm - Model Shipways

• 4 weeks later...

One of the last “deck furnitures” on my Syren model was the pump. To build it I followed Chuck’s plans enhanced by some additional details found in other descriptions of how the pump worked (Charles Davis, Mondfeld).

The major part of the pump cross bar was milled out of a brass sheet of appropriate thickness. The two end pieces consist of parts of a square brass tube, shaped according to plan and fitted on the ends of the cross bar as adapters for the handles (image 1). The platform and the stand were built out of basswood and pear (image 2). I keep using this wood combination because I want to have the advantage of pear for shaping the details, but as I initially started out with basswood I need to keep the overall appearance of the model consistent. Image 3 shows the parts which make up the pump drums. As I had decided to model the upper pump valves as well each drum is connected to a part of the pipe in which the upper valve will be moving. In image 4a the finished drums can be seen. I used a technique already described earlier in this build log (mast holes) to drill two holes in the Syren deck to receive the pipes attached to the pump (image 4b). Image 5 shows the parts and construction of the connecting arms between the pump cross bar and the upper valves. These hinged connectors are made out of brass pieces shaped according to plan and silver soldered together. In image 6 the cross bar – valve assembly can be seen before the valves are finally inserted in the pump drums. As hinge bolts I used two 0.7mm nails (Scale Hardware) per hinge, cut to correct length, one bolt inserted from each side and glued together within the middle of the hinge hole in the cross bar. That probably was the most challenging part of the whole assembly :). To insure correct and consistent length of the bolts I milled the thickness of a piece of aluminum to match the bolts’ length (image 7), inserted the bolts one after the other in a predrilled hole and cut and filed down the bolts to be flush with the metal surface. Images 8 and 9 show the assembled pump.

Thomas

post-925-0-36797100-1478746443_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-79744300-1478746443_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-30355500-1478746444_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-76526000-1478746444_thumb.jpg

Image 4

post-925-0-26533800-1478746445_thumb.jpg

Image 5

post-925-0-19533000-1478746446_thumb.jpg

Image 6

post-925-0-78546800-1478746446_thumb.jpg

Image 7

post-925-0-32355300-1478746447_thumb.jpg

Image 8

post-925-0-06830300-1478746449_thumb.jpg

Image 9

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Your close-ups are a thing of beauty, Thomas !!

:D  :D 

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Wow Thomas, this pump looks so good I hate to even show mine. :P You have an incredible talent for fabrication!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thank you so much for your generous comments! And thanks for all the likes! I know it probably was a waste of time to make all the pump parts working - looking at the model nobody but me will notice anyway  . . . but I had a lot of fun doing it and that is what I want to get out of this hobby - to have fun :) 

Thomas 

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thomas -

As so many others have said, your work is stunning!

A couple of suggestions.  You might want to consider installing the channels and chain plate assemblies before you install the hammock cranes and the hammock netting.  The cranes & netting are stronger than I thought they would be, but they are still quite fragile and liable to be damaged when you are working on the chain plate assemblies etc.  Also, build the 25 foot longboat but defer securing it to the top of the gallows bits until after some of the lower rigging components are installed.  If you don't, I think you will find that the longboat gets in your way when you are trying to do the rigging.

Just my two cents.  You are doing an outstanding job and I am looking forward to your future posts on this build log.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Thank you, Hervie and Gary!

Gary, thank you for your advice! Your points are well taken! I was already wondering which might be the best way to proceed once I am finished with the deck details. Of course there is still the rigging of the carronades, which probably will take for ever at my snails pace  ;)

Thomas

Edited by Gahm

Wow! You are very good with brass!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Just for completeness – I added the handles for the pump . . . the pump looks more impressive that way  :)

Thomas

post-925-0-16200100-1479212756_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-60852800-1479212757_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-72290500-1479212758_thumb.jpg

Image 3

• 2 weeks later...

With adding of the gallows bitts most of the “deck furnitures” are complete. The deck is looking a bit more interesting now :) .

Thomas

post-925-0-51339600-1480820629_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-74537400-1480820633_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-02003800-1480820637_thumb.jpg

Image 3

Edited by Gahm

Looking awesome Thomas!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Jesse, B.E, Mike thank you for all your kind words! As always they are very much appreciated! And thanks for all the likes!

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the tiller. Normally this should be a relatively simple piece to make. However, on my model when I initially built the rudder coat the rudder unfortunately was fixed in place in such a way that its upper end was no longer in the center of the rudder hole but was leaning to starboard (img. 1). I only noticed that several months later when it was already too late. So this needed fixing before the tiller could be mounted. I removed the upper part of the rudder with my rotary tool equipped with a diamond bur (img. 2), rebuilt the upper rudder part and added the tiller (img. 3). Now rudder and tiller are sitting in the center of the rudder hole (img. 4 – 5) and I have my peace of mind again :).

Thomas

post-925-0-01505800-1481806167_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-93063000-1481806167_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-40455400-1481806168_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-40331000-1481806169_thumb.jpg

Image 4

post-925-0-96768700-1481806170_thumb.jpg

Image 5

Dirk, Bob, and Mike, thank you for your supportive comments! It looks like you know the 'peace of mind' story yourself quite well  :). And thanks for all the likes!

Dirk, seeing your actions on the Confederacy I start to believe that you really mean it when you say that you are going to wait!? But you may need to finish your whole fleet before I may reach the status which your Syren already has  :D

Thomas

Your Syren is looking great! Nice work!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)