HMS Snake by Beef Wellington - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 64 - First wooden ship build

Jason,

She's looking great, and you made a very good job of the coppering. :)

I agree with BE (as per usual) about the tension of the main stay; I wouldn't worry about it overmuch, so long as it has a nice curve. In fact check out photos of the Victory (before she was de-rigged) and you'll see that her main and fore stays sagged somewhat, due to the weight. It wouldn't have affected their job.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

BE, Kester - thanks, I'll gratefully take that as guidance not to do anything!

Sjors - still didn't mind doing the ratlines.  With tweezers its pretty easy to get into a rhymn.  Next build though I definitely want to use better line for the shrouds (either Morope or Chuck's)

Ferit - man, you thrust a dagger into my heart! :D Some of the clove hitches have proved to be a little 'stubborn' despite repeated retightening/tweaking, especially in very tight areas where the shrouds are only a couple of mm's apart.  Luckily they don't look as bad at real scale and I'm happy to move on.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

It continues to shape into a lovely build Jason. 

I'm with you on the ratlines.  There is so much detail in one of these ships that things like that just don't stand out.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Yards:

Feeling my way with my first yards, technique seemed to work well so will continue with others.

Used the PE end cap to mark out the size that the end of the yard needs to be reduced topost-891-0-02886600-1397349626_thumb.jpg

Used a small plane to roughly shape the yard being careful not to take too much off

post-891-0-93187800-1397349650_thumb.jpg

Sanded the shaped yards, and then cut down the central section to be a square profile (close to 1mm max depth) and then built up square section using spare walnut planks.  (The instructions call for the central section to be filed into an octagonal shape, however its pretty obvious that its not possible to make an octagon 6mm across from a dowel of 6mm diameter, not quite sure what they were thinking)

post-891-0-61391900-1397349701_thumb.jpg

Filed down the corners to give the appropriate octagonal section needed in the center.  I find that using a marker to colour the sides allows the shape to seen much more clearly to allow this to be done more precisely - otherwise its very difficult to see the shape.  Paint will cover all this up, think it will be good enough once fine tuned.

post-891-0-75232700-1397349746_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Gorgeous work Jason, very crisp and clean!  I'm sure that it will be a hit at the show!

On the bowspirit, I can't tell you how many times I busted a line/block off of it by accidentally bumping into it.  I'll probably move it to the latter stages of my next build.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Mike, sorry I missed your kind comment - thanks mate!

No real progress of sorts, but a few pics of the Snake's first voyage to the NE Join Clubs Ship Model Show (There are some great pics at the following link).  It was great to meet some folks face to face and see some really nice models and some in person from logs right here on MSW.  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4939-northeast-joint-clubs-ship-model-show-conference/page-2#entry191448

Sjors/Mobbsie/Pierre/Klaas - You should check out the pics of HMS Ardent, I think it was bashed from the Agamemnon kit but was heavily modified - it won best in show and was pretty impressive!

Hopefully with a bit of work in the garden done I can get back to a bit of modelling in near future.

MSW group photo, Chuck in front and me lurking in the back

post-891-0-53354500-1398691182.jpg

Snake (very humbly) on display - the big boys are in the background

post-891-0-23637400-1398691178_thumb.jpg

Chuck's stall, fantastic stuff that I will no doubt be using in the future, had to share a picture of his lamp kits

post-891-0-74590100-1398691181_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Looks like a great show. Going to a model fair of sorts here in SW UK this weekend. Interesting to see if there are any kits on display.

Just received some blocks and line from chuck to use on my Ballahoo kit and they look top notch!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hey There Jason.. Snake looks perfectly at home amongst the fine company by the way !! I followed your link to some great builds.. thanks for that !

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Jeers:

Although topmasts are pretty much ready to go on, the jeers have been nagging at me.  These seem to be pretty awkward to get in, especially once the topmast shrouds are in place so I've decided to install these before the proceeding further.  Getting the right length required quite bit of trial and error.  As always, suggestions welcome.  For some reason photos came out particularly badly tonight, so apologies in advance.

Block double stopped and kept in place with few drops of GS-Hypo.

post-891-0-02189400-1398911082_thumb.jpg

Loop added to provide correct 'length', the three stands then seized near the top of the block.

post-891-0-14333000-1398911079_thumb.jpg

Loose ends trimmed, and additional seizing put on.  I did this in accordance with the Grenado AOTS diagram (i.e. unserved), although it seems that these were also commonly served.  Frankly I didn't have the patience to attempt that...but suspect that the method could work just the same.

post-891-0-52035600-1398911085_thumb.jpg

Mocked up the installation to check again length is appropriate.  There is not much room for error here, and it took multiple attempts to get length correct.  Looks OK to me.

post-891-0-71488700-1398911089_thumb.jpg

Jeers will be lashed to the mast cleat on opposite side, this again is just a temporary mock up to prove it works.

post-891-0-51177600-1398911092_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Just ran across this log. Good work. Enjoying following the rigging work.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Michael, JesseLee, Jim, Sjors, Timmo, Dimitris, Tim - thanks for stopping by and the kind words

Tom - great to meet you as well, the pleasure was all mine

No photos I'm afraid, but couple of things in process.  Seem to have spent far too much time pondering and not enough doing.

1. Trying to find a tidy way to attach a block to a deadeye using .75mm line and am struggling a little.  Its a bit thick for using a simple knot, and seizing works but am not sure how strong it would be.  Using thinner line looks underscale to me looking at contemporary drawing.   Any advice welcome.
  2. Working on final shaping of the top-gallant masts.  These are proving to be a challenge as it seems that every single piece of dowel is slightly bent.  Even after selecting the straightest pieces its proving a little challenging.
  3. Thinking ahead to the rigging of the remaining stays, there are a couple of areas that I think I want do differently to the plans.  These indicate a couple of the stays that are simply seized at both ends.  I would have thought that every piece of standing rigging would be adjustable in some way to allow changes to be made in tension so may follow some of the diagrams in Peterson which seem to support that.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

looking good.

in response to your questions:

1: if a knot is out of the question then seizing is the way to go.  If you are unsure about the strength, then two tricks I use are to pass the seizing through the line with a needle first - essentially sewing the line together before wrapping it tight, then flood the sieze with diluted white glue.  Just out of interest which block to which deadeye?

2: though shalt not use dowels for masting :)    This will also go to something I wanted to say about your yard.  My experience is that CC tends to over dimension their masts and yards - probably to protect against people breaking things too much.  When I look at the yard my eye screams that it needs more taper.  You've done so much in the rest of the build that I wanted to encourage you to look at the dimensions in steel and compare.  (my mainyard starts at 6.5mm and tapers to about 2.4mm)

3: if you want to specify which stays I can double check in Lees.  Peterson doesn't neccessarily cover all ship types.

Colin

--

Jeannie Johnston;

Hi Jason,

looking good.

in response to your questions:

1: if a knot is out of the question then seizing is the way to go.  If you are unsure about the strength, then two tricks I use are to pass the seizing through the line with a needle first - essentially sewing the line together before wrapping it tight, then flood the sieze with diluted white glue.  Just out of interest which block to which deadeye?

2: though shalt not use dowels for masting :)    This will also go to something I wanted to say about your yard.  My experience is that CC tends to over dimension their masts and yards - probably to protect against people breaking things too much.  When I look at the yard my eye screams that it needs more taper.  You've done so much in the rest of the build that I wanted to encourage you to look at the dimensions in steel and compare.  (my mainyard starts at 6.5mm and tapers to about 2.4mm)

3: if you want to specify which stays I can double check in Lees.  Peterson doesn't neccessarily cover all ship types.

Colin

Thanks Colin - my comments:

1. Duh, should have though of that, I'll give it a go tonight and see how I get on.  I can't find much guidance on this but looking at picture it seems like the line used to strop blocks needs to be somewhat proportionate to the size of the block otherwise it just just doesn't look right.  The block in question here is an 8mm violin/sister block for the lifts.  Anything smaller than the CC 0.75mm line looks too small to my eye (The CC line sizes seem to be err on the large side, the 0.75mm seems closer to 0.5mm, and so on...)
  2. You are so right - but I'm going to need to leave turning my own spars for 'next time'.  For the main yard, the central section is 6mm and tapers to 3mm (per plans), haven't got as far as painting these yet so will wait to see how they appear
  3. A specific example (though there are more) is for the mizzen topmast stay (there is no topgallant on Snake) and it shows the stay seized around the top mast ans then seized to a ringbolt on the the main top.  (On the plan, its really just a line, I'm inferring it should be seized).

Thanks for the thoughts!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

your rigging the blocks Looks great Jason,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Jason

may I ask you about those two types of holes drilled on the desk and their importance?

Have you created those holes as an in advance procedure for the next steps of the deck fittings fixing, for example to tie and "thread" the large rope of the most anterior gratting?

As always, thank you.

Stergios

post-944-0-16140700-1399577526.jpg

Edited by Stergios

1. Duh, should have though of that, I'll give it a go tonight and see how I get on.  I can't find much guidance on this but looking at picture it seems like the line used to strop blocks needs to be somewhat proportionate to the size of the block otherwise it just just doesn't look right.  The block in question here is an 8mm violin/sister block for the lifts.  Anything smaller than the CC 0.75mm line looks too small to my eye (The CC line sizes seem to be err on the large side, the 0.75mm seems closer to 0.5mm, and so on...)

Yes - the size of the block was proportional to the line going through it.  Larger lines took more stress, so the strop holding the blocks needed to be as strong.

You had me confused there too - you do mean eyebolt not deadeye? On the cap?

1. You are so right - but I'm going to need to leave turning my own spars for 'next time'.  For the main yard, the central section is 6mm and tapers to 3mm (per plans), haven't got as far as painting these yet so will wait to see how they appear

Turning - who needs turning?! Sharp pencil, sharp chisel, some maths and sandpaper is all you need.  :) 

The taper on the lower yard was to 3/7 it's width (before battens).

1. A specific example (though there are more) is for the mizzen topmast stay (there is no topgallant on Snake) and it shows the stay seized around the top mast ans then seized to a ringbolt on the the main top.  (On the plan, its really just a line, I'm inferring it should be seized).

per Lees: prior to 1773 deadeyes were used for the mizzen topmast stay.  "About 1773 the deadeyes were replaced by thimbles...."  so the CC diagrams would seem to be correct.  The line is probably small enough that a fall lashed between two thimbles would be sufficient for tensioning.

Colin

--

Jeannie Johnston;

Hi Jason

may I ask you about those two types of holes drilled on the desk and their importance?

Have you created those holes as an in advance procedure for the next steps of the deck fittings fixing, for example to tie and "thread" the large rope of the most anterior gratting?

As always, thank you.

Stergios

Nothing complicated.  The small holes (green arrow) were done when I was considering pinning the gratings to the deck, these were covered up when grating glued in place.  The larger holes (red arrow) are for the anchor ropes, the reason they are so ugly is because I found out that a bulkhead sat right below where I wanted these so it took a bit of effort to remove enough material so I could get the ropes to feed in correctly.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Yes - the size of the block was proportional to the line going through it.  Larger lines took more stress, so the strop holding the blocks needed to be as strong.

You had me confused there too - you do mean eyebolt not deadeye? On the cap?

The taper on the lower yard was to 3/7 it's width (before battens).

per Lees: prior to 1773 deadeyes were used for the mizzen topmast stay.  "About 1773 the deadeyes were replaced by thimbles...."  so the CC diagrams would seem to be correct.  The line is probably small enough that a fall lashed between two thimbles would be sufficient for tensioning.

Colin

Thanks Colin.  Yes, the blocks on the cap are attached to eyebolts...must have been a little sleepy when I wrote deadeye!  I'll see what I can do with the taper, I definitely get where you're coming from.  As for the stays, I think I'm going to go with the thimble approach which is also shown in Peterson, there is no mention of a thimble in the CC plans/instructions.  Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Have been working to get the fine tuning fit and shape of the various masts.  Its definitely taking some time to fine tune the fitting of the masts with the various modifications, its amazing how things that seem to be square single result in quite a bit of skew when finally assembled.

Picture to close out on the jeers, although I still have the foremast ones to finalise.  These seem to be easier to do before the top masts go in.

post-891-0-77471100-1399903672_thumb.jpg

One possible problem that has come to light after getting the mizzen topmast in place.  Everything seemed to be looking good until I put the shrouds in place (these go through holes in the cross tree rather than ending in a deadeye).  I followed the rigging on plan 3 closely which shows the position of the futtock stave.  However,  then end result looks very odd, with the shrouds being too vertical below the cross tree.

After seeing this I double checked to plan 5 which shows the position of the various spars, and it appears that these are possibly inconsistent.  My understanding is that the futtock stave would be placed at the level of the yard so the catharpins can most effectively keep the shrouds from interfering with the yard operation.  Taking all that into account, I think what I need to do is relocate the futtock stave higher to be level with the placement of the cross jack yard.  This would then give the futtock shrouds a better lie (see added red lines below).

Before I commit to this (it probably involves some risk as well) I did want to see if I'm misunderstanding this or looking at it the wrong way, or just others thoughts/opinions.  As always, comments are most welcome.

post-891-0-31697900-1399900789_thumb.jpg

Futtock shrouds look very odd with currently positioned staves, proposed relocation in red...

post-891-0-14645400-1399900792_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished: