Schooner Ingomar by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/278 - Hereshoff designed

Whatever floats your boat, go for it :cheers: Nicely done.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Omega, Beautiful work , I like you floating fleet

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Perls. Thanks for your comment and stopping by. You're right about the scale issues. My Ingomar probably wouldn't even be long enough for a dinghy on Michael's Maria!!

The beauty of Michael's cutter is that every detail is there for one to admire and google at. The quality of Michael's workmanship is outstanding and, at that size, leaves little room for error. Mine on the other hand, requires a magnifying glass, or zooming in on photos to see the details and mistakes...of which, there are quite a few!

Either way, the beauty of our hobby is that all scales can be enjoyed equally well.

Thanks for stopping by and good luck with your build!

I was searching for a different boat when the new Ingomar came up.  Thought you might like to see it.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2014/Herreshoff-Schooner-Ingomar-2612668/ME/United-States#.VB2VAfldXFE

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob. Many thanks. I'd come across that site earlier in my research. She really is a beautifully shaped ship, isn't she? I mean, even in her red-primer, there's no mistaking her beauty. If only I had a spare $1.3 million....Maybe if I get a second job and save up really hard. Sadly, no.

Thanks for thinking of me and sending me the link. It's greatly appreciated.

All the best.

Ah yes $1.3 million.  But that’s just for the boat, then you have the supplies and fitting out expenses.  Oh yes also a crew.  I don’t think I could single hand her.  As David said it’s a dream.  If I sold everything I have, including the admiral, I might (might I say) be able to buy the ship’s wheel.  Sigh.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Omega, Bob is right , you will still have to fit her out , so we are looking at closer to 1.8 million , hey that put's you on the helm sailing away , as for crew , there are enough members on this site that woulld love to be on the crew , I would do a leg on a Volvo 65 no problem . so who wouldnt want to go Sailing with you ( as for the money you only need to get all 6 numbers right on a lottery ticket )

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Such a beauty here is another link from the builders site.

schooner_ingomar_10.jpgThis image link shows the hull plates clearly.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Wow that is one clean looking hull! Michael thanks for posting and it was a pleasure meeting you last Wednesday at the ship modelling club. For any of you who have seen Michael's Bristol Pilot Cutter here on MSW I was blessed to see it up close in person. Brilliantly crafted and Michael is a true artisan when it comes to ship modelling. I saw all of his running rigging up close which is hand made, he had his rope walk at the club and even showed me his had made ship compass which really does work!

We go from Michael's 1/8" scale down to Omega's model. Such a great testament to what can be done!

Jeff

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

Hi Pete, David, Michael, Perls, Bob, Jeff, Joe, Hexnut, and everyone else.  Thank you so much for all your comments.  I know I've said it before, but they really are a terrific motivating factor and I enjoy reading them immensely.

As for living the "Ingomar" dream, well, yer, perhaps it'll be a while before I can ever afford that.  But, hey, we're all rich in many other ways...families, admirals (males and/or females), kids, jobs, etc, etc, etc,...

Jeff (Chasseur) - that must have been an incredible experience to meet and see Michael's cutter in real life.  I would have been very tempted to ask for Michael's autograph!  Now, I feel like a model boat groupie!!!!

Perls (Steve).  Here's my next build (still very early days yet and haven't made much progress beyond the initial planning stage):  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8009-112-ft-ketch-symphony-by-omega1234-small-1200-scale-17cms-or-7-inches-long/?hl=symphony 

As for the real full sized hull, I've stared at the photos many times, simply admiring the lines as well as the welding pattern on the hull.  It's a thing of beauty in many different ways.

All the best everyone and thanks for stopping by!  

Edited by Omega1234

Hi all.  The latest photos of Ingomar are as follows; mainly featuring the steering wheel and binnacle.

Michael, Jeff and Bob - I took the cheats way out and used a Swarovski crystal for the multi-faceted binnacle glass from the local jewellery/sewing shop that my wife frequents.  It was almost the right size and shape.  At about a millimetre high, I think it looks passable.  Thanks for your help and suggestions.

The steering wheel is made from plastic tubing and fine brass wire for the spokes.

Other photos will feature the ship's davits, which need painting and blocks added.  The ship's boats, themselves are also being sanded and painted (so pls excuse their rough finish at the moment).

Hope you enjoy the photos.

All the best!

post-7645-0-95822600-1411459805_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-13543600-1411459840_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-22402800-1411459875_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-76430200-1411459910_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-19066300-1411460040_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-89564500-1411460077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

She’s really looking good.  Love the ships boats floating in midair.  And the stanchions around the stern.  Fantastic.  I find it difficult at twice that size.

Bob

The jewel looks like it is perfect for the task.

Michael

Hi Bob, Michael, Jeff, Steve and everyone for their comments and Likes.

I've been off work with the flu for the past couple of weeks and hence, I've had a little bit more time to work on Ingomar than normal, ie in between bouts of yuckiness and massive headaches! Today was my first day back at work, but I didn't last a full day and had to come home early.

As for Ingomar's railings, the best idea I could come up with is to get a very fine wire or rigging thread and glue it to the outside edge of each stanchion. This method has worked well for my other miniatures (e.g. see photos of Dorade's railings below). However, any other suggestions would be most welcomed, of course!

All the best and happy modelling!

post-7645-0-28537400-1411553888_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-82165100-1411564566_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi folks! I've started on the two boom crutches (I hope that's the correct name). They may look insignificant, but without them, the booms would have nowhere to rest when the ship is not underway. A temporary main boom has been placed for illustrative purposes at this stage, only.

I've also painted the davits, although, they'll need another coat of paint and the blocks will also need to be added, before the boats can be hung off them.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

All the best for your weekends!

post-7645-0-27554500-1411743989_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-95770400-1411744010_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-99906700-1411744045_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-77880300-1411744065_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-11496000-1411744100_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-25419600-1411744118_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-92795700-1411744137_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-98372700-1411744196_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-45970100-1411744215_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-70028000-1411744670_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  I always enjoy seeing your skilled work.

Bob

absolutely wonderful work, do you have any more, or link to the Pandora

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Omega,

very nice Progress on the manyfold Details I Like

that railing is going to be a tough Task...

Nils 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Kevin and Nils.

Many thanks for stoppinpg by and for your likes! Nils - always great to hear from you. Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Kevin - welcome to Ingomar's journey. I'm glad that you've enjoyed the build log so far. I hope that you'll continue to follow along. If you like, I'll see if I can start a build log of Pandora. In the meantime, I've posted a few shots of Pandora in the Scratch Built Gallery. Please have a look via this link: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/album/832-pandora-1192-scale-scratch-built/

Hope you enjoy.

All the best to both of you!