Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale - POF

I've just been through this whole build thread, must say I'm impressed. Very nice work Michael.

I find it particularly useful as a practicum for utilising the lathe/mill, mine is not of the quality of yours and I don't have many tools etc for it but seeing what you can do is really getting me thinking.

Steve

Good afternoon Steve, Thanks for you commendations. As I have mentioned on this thread, I am stalled on the work while I sort out the problems of water penetration into the shop. I am really missing not working on the cutter but hope to be back to her shortly, The temperature has dropped significantly so the dripping has stopped for the time being but it will restart as soon as it warms up again.

I am going to rework the bench that the cutter is sitting on to make some better storage underneath to hold the various areas of the project. A drawer for all the blocks and rigging raw materials and so on with the other areas as soon as I get materials better protected.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Michael,

I was just able to catch up on your log. It is a joy to reach how you approach each problem, and then come up with close to perfect tooling and workmanship. Lessons for us all.

Best wishes,

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the kind remarks, I find that the problem solving aspects of this hobby to be almost a hobby in themselves. I do enjoy reading about and seeing how the builders on this forum go about solving the different aspects of putting together both the models and the tools.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Hi Mark, thanks for the kind remarks, I find that the problem solving aspects of this hobby to be almost a hobby in themselves. I do enjoy reading about and seeing how the builders on this forum go about solving the different aspects of putting together both the models and the tools.

Michael

I couldn't agree more.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 4 weeks later...

Well Walter just took delivery of 800feet of 1/2 inch line and some 1 inch cable plus some other line for the rigging and docking he seems rather pleased now that the delivery has finally arrived, he can get on with the boom now.  The 5/8 line will be delivered tomorrow he was assured.

post-202-0-96291900-1393300691_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-95023200-1393300689_thumb.jpg

Michael

If not him, Andy, someone's about to get put to work...  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

good to see your getting back to the build.........your little friend looks so cool!   did you carve him?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the feedback and all the likes.

Dennis the little chap arrived with a model slate wagon that I had received from a chap in Wales as part of a swap project for some model wagons in the large scales of model railways a few years back, he just seemed more nautical than railway worker.

Brrrrr -30c this morning

Michael

Michael, glad to see Walter finally got the material he was waiting for.  I’m sure he’ll do a fine job with such fine looking line.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

That sure is an impressive build you got there Mike. :) Thanks for the post on the thimble making. How did you anneal just the center portion ?

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

S.os Thanks for the kind words. Regarding the annealing I used some heat sinks and a small hot flame.

Michael

Today I finished tidying up the work area so that I now can work on either Skipjack or the pilot cutter now that both have their own tables. Rearranging things really does take a while it seems getting some of the model wood out of boxes and onto some additional shelving  makes it so much easier to work.

post-202-0-79989800-1393565972_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-64584900-1393565974_thumb.jpg

That done I was able to get the final gluing sorted for the new walls of the cockpit when it is good and set I will work on the top rail. Walter thought it was about time.

post-202-0-76426800-1393565970_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-65139500-1393565981_thumb.jpg

The gaff was re-threaded with some of the new rope, a fiddly job, and as I was working I kept thinking about the incredible amount of rigging on Nils' Clipper.

Then time to get the boom finished after some final shaping of the jaws, the holes were drilled for the strength bolts and for the slot to accommodate the plate for attaching the tack of the mainsail and the down-haul. because of the length I needed to add a support.

post-202-0-00135000-1393565976_thumb.jpg

Once the holes were drilled I began gluing on the leather.

post-202-0-32387100-1393565977_thumb.jpg

Then the leather was cut to allow for the wrapping.

post-202-0-69595800-1393565978_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-02842600-1393565980_thumb.jpg

after folding down the tabs and the final shaping the jaws end was given a liberal coating of Teak oil.

post-202-0-62606800-1393565968_thumb.jpg

Left to right the new lines are the Gaff throat up-haul, peak halliard, jib shroud, gaff throat down-haul. Next I need to make the support for the boom on the mast.

Michael

Beautiful work as always.  The cap rail looks great with all the rope tied on it.  

Nice rework of the shop.  And absolutely lovely work on the boom.  Walter is right... time to turn to.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Micheal,

I love the lines of your cutter, it has a Little bit of the classic famous "gothic" style, narrow and deep what they called "plank on edge" and one of my favourites would be the "Genesta". here a pic from the web.

Like B.E. I also am very fond of your lovely Workshop...

Nils

post-3445-0-03322100-1393576051_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Michael -

Your shop makes me green with envy.  Straightening and rearranging will save you much time in the future.  I know that whenever I am stumped for a solution to a building problem I clean the shop.  Many times the answer comes up from my subconcious while I am chasing dust bunnies.

The work looks great, as always.  Where did you get your line?  Morope, Syren, or somewhere else?

Be well and stay warm.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Daniel, Mark, B.E., Nils thanks for stopping by and the kind rematks and thank you for all the "likes'

Nils that is a very beautiful looking hull, I shall have to have a look.

Where did you get your line?  Morope, Syren, or somewhere else?

Dan I made my own here near the bottom of the page you can see how I made it. A lot of work for sure but I am reasonably pleased with the results. The simplest way produced the best rope. I did build a rope making machine here but in the end I did not like the results for the fine rope I will revisit the machine but for the time being the larger diameter that I am using I prefer the way I am making it now.

I now have to make some more blocks for the boom and associated lines, I can see that the blocks and shackles are going to keep me busy, but at least my newly finished little lathe that I started to build 43 years ago

post-202-0-20809500-1393602624_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-18517300-1393602619_thumb.jpg

will be handy now for the small diameter stuff because the Myford only goes so fast.

post-202-0-97989000-1393602653_thumb.jpg

It was a lot of work but it needed to be finished, I am glad I took the time to get it done. it will make turning the small pins and shackle parts that much easier.

Michael

now that's a ship shape shop Michael.........the beauty is in knowing where everything is.   glad your making progress again  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Very nice Michael, you've got lots of room in your shop....nice indeed

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Nice little lathe.  After 43 years it deserved to be finished.  It should make lovely parts.

Bob

Thank you everyone for the supportive and encouraging comments, and the "likes" It is very much appreciated.

Working further on the boom I made a start on the reef comb and bee blocks. the first set of reef combs did not allow for the bee blocks so started a second set the sheave will be 2 1/2 inch scale diameter

The first pair clamped into the small saw guide with some wedges so that i could file and sand them at the same time.

post-202-0-61548000-1393663293_thumb.jpg

The second set started after cutting the slots first, then using the jewelers saw to fret them out.

post-202-0-30529600-1393663295_thumb.jpg

The boom being prepared to glue on the reef comb on the port side

post-202-0-13807400-1393663297_thumb.jpg

The come clamped and glued I will drill through the boom and the starboard side after the starboard side is glued on this will ensure that all the holes match well for the pins

post-202-0-86546900-1393663291_thumb.jpg

Brrrr its down to -32 tonight.... in like a lion out like a lamb as the old saying goes.

Michael

Nice work, Michael.  Mine looks crude by comparison.  You and MSW always challenge me to do better.  Thanks.

Bob

good to see some sawdust.......looks really nice.    I'm ready for spring......;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Michael and others, I continue to be awed by the craftsmanship show on this forum.

and the ability to post it so well.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.