Symphony by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/200 scale - 112' Ketch

Hi Dennis

Many thanks! You're right about the paint being a good way to show the imperfections. Ironically, once the black paint had dried, I sanded it just about completely off. Now, the hull's just about perfectly smooth.

BTW, I really like the thought of the "Bat boat", as well. Do you think you'll add it to your list?

Cheers

Patrick

you never know Patrick...............you just never know  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi ho everyone and thanks for all your Likes and comments.

Well, it may not look like it, but I actually have been doing a fair bit of work in terms of measuring and marking the interior layout, eg bulkheads and positions of floors, etc. The only problem is that there's nothing much to show for it, but trust me, I have been doing some work!

I have also continued the painting of Symphony's hull. Here are the photos.

Still a long way to go, but fun nonetheless!

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

post-7645-0-36686500-1431958879_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-38744000-1431958902_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-21000900-1431958928_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-15440300-1431958972_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-95161100-1431959005_thumb.jpg

I like that color blue! And trust me - I believe you when you say it's taking some time to lay everything out - as you know, been there, done that! Are you going strictly off the plan, or is it just inspiration material at this point?

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Very Nice Patrick. How many coats?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Ben, David, Carl, Michael and everyone else for their Likes.

The paint I'm using is a blue Humbrol gloss enamel. So far, this is the third coat of paint, but I suspect I'd need a few more to get a really nice finish.

Thanks and all the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Hey Patrick, I am liking that Blue , Looks great

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I suspect I'd need a few more to get a really nice finish.

It's not a nice finish?   You got me fooled.   I think it looks great!!!!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, but I probably need to explain my comment. What I should've said is that there's still the underwater of the hull to be painted a different color and then the gold cover stripe needs to be added. So, still a little bit more work to do.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

that is a really nice smooth finish.........bottom paint and striping is really going to add to it's beauty!   very nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Apologies, Patrick... carry on.  :)  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks really nice Patrick, especially considering the unforgiving gloss paint. Beautiful colour as well! 

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all of your comments and Likes!

Tonight, I decided to see what Symphony's hull would look like with a matt coloured under hull. So, I promptly taped it up and gave the under-hull a quick coat of matt paint.

I'm not totally committed to the colour I chose, so I may decide to change it later on. But, on the whole, I don't think it looks that bad.

I also put the drop keel in, ensuring that it can be retracted into the hull, much the same as the real ship's drop keel.

Here are the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-26055600-1432393074_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-90049000-1432393097_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-51128600-1432393119_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-24663100-1432393141_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-65240800-1432393166_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-44692200-1432393196_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Patrick,

Very nice paint job ... as for colour ... that's a matter of personal taste ... luckily paint is a practical medium ... sand and spray...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Very nice Hull Patrick, she is coming together rather nicely

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I not sure that anti-foul comes in that color.......what am I saying....of course it does!  ;)    sweet looking paint work Patrick.....love the contrast of the solid and off color  :)   nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi everyone

It may have been a few days since my last update, but, things have moved ahead steadily.

For instance, Symphony now has the planked floors installed inside her hull, in readiness for the cabins and bulkheads, etc. I've also built the deck. Notably, when you see the deck, you'll notice that Symphony has a huge oval shaped cabin, as witnessed by the size of the oval in the deck. At the aft of the deck, you'll also notice a much smaller oval shape, which, eventually will become the seating area for the helmsman and other crew, etc.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-53601300-1432990254_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-32891200-1432990282_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-13682800-1432990308_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-14255100-1432990337_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-32406800-1432990379_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-43936600-1432990411_thumb.jpg

Wow! The beauty of the boat is really accentuated by the sole and the deck, at least for me. Maybe it's just the sense of scale they now provide that demonstrates how pretty that boat is, but either way, now I want one even more!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

She Looks Fantastic Patrick, Beautiful work 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

I somehow always smile when I see your photos Patrick, your models have this feelgood aura that is difficult to put into words.

Vaddoc

your models have this feelgood aura that is difficult to put into words.

Could not have said it any better myself.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.