San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

running rigging on a 2d piece of paper is very difficult to understand unless you know all about it. bbut once you start ataching it and you see where it goes youc an imagine whta it was for. atleast thats how it went wiht my virginia (i know not as much rigging on her)

What's that strange howling sound I hear.... I believe it is the Syren calling... B)   

i always though Syrens called sailors with their beautiful singing :huh:

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

I need some help. the instructions tell me to attach my yards to the mast using threaded parrel beads. The pictures don't show or illustrate exactly how this is done. I mean I understand how to string beads, but how do I use this string of beads to secure the yard w/sails to the masts?

I would appreciate any drawings or diagrams someone would have to illustrate how this is done please.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks Sherry, that was exactly what I was looking for. So the way I take it, you make your string of beads, wrap them securely around the masts, then use the thread ends to tie off around the yards.

If I have that wrong someone please correct me.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Forgot to include this little diagram. It helped me with my Mayflower - there are no trucks and ribs (beads and parrels) and it helped me visualize the actual attachment without the little bits in the way. Hopefully this helps.

post-167-0-87659800-1380594151.gif

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

I did something a bit different with the lanteen gaff on my Gothenborg.   what I did was drill two holes in relation to the wrap of the perril band.   the thread was passed trough one hole,  and wrapped to hide it.   the thread was strung with the beads,  test fitting it along the way.   when the gaff was attached,  the thread was passed through the other hole and cemented.  after it was dry,  that end was wrapped as well,  hiding that hole.   there are pictures of it.   I also made up the lower fore yard strap.......I think I have one bead length too many,  so it will be used on the lower main yard {I'll make up another for the fore yard}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sherry that pictures does make it easier to visualize, thank you for your help. Popeye, I am going to look at your log regardign this, I think your way sounds ingeneous, and it would allow me to not have to worry about the thing falling apart after a couple years if the thread stretches.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

what I find neat about it.......it fastens the yard to the mast as your doing it.   it's not that hard to do though,  because I suspend the yard with the lift rigging.   this is sort of loose terminology,  on my part.........lift rigging are the two pulley assemblies that are tied to the ends of the yard........the pulley assemblies that are located at the center of the yard, is know as the halyard rigging.

in any case,  with this rigging done first,  tying on the perril strap is a breeze.   I did one end before the yard is raised,  and the other end after the yard was set in place.  the holes also insures that the strap is going to locate in the center of the yard,  and not loop over or under the yard.

if you do this......be sure to put a clothes pin on the end of the thread,  so that if you pick it up without thinking,  the beads won't go flying all over.........ask me how I know this :D :D :D :D :D

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

So, during a bit of spare time today I managed to find time to visit the ship yard. I attached my yards  w/sails to the masts. I know, I know, I am supposed to do the running rigging for each yard first, but in all honesty I was having trouble conceptualizing all the lines on the plans , and they just made my head spin.

So, I decided I would go ahead and hang the sails so then I can do the rigging and actually see what I am supposed to be doing. I understand this will make some of it more difficult, as everything is so fragile, but it is the only way my mind seems to comprehend what those lines on the paper mean.

So now, time to run some string!!

post-127-0-49423900-1381003628_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-58754900-1381003646_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I don't think there is a firm rule about sails before rigging.........kind of like the chicken or the egg.   but in this case,  there had to be a chicken to start the ball rolling :D :D :D :D

sure looks good with the yards and sails on her though  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice to see you setting sail there Robbyn - must feel like the finish line is in sight now!

Ooooh sails!!  Very nice, very nice indeed!!!

This will be great!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

That's some serious laundry hanging out there Robbyn, looking very nice.  Re the running rigging - - - one line at a time in the correct order otherwise it'll become difficult to belay them.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I have been studying these plans since 4pm this afternoon, it is now 10pm and I think I finally figured out what string goes where, and where it belays or ties off too...sometimes I really am an idiot...it was right there on the plans, but my mind refused to see it!

Now one (hopefully the final) question, is there a special knot I should use to tie off around the belaying pins?

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Okay, so I found these 2 pics online, do these look correct?

post-127-0-34008200-1381030320.jpg

post-127-0-43898000-1381030310.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

looks right to me Robbyn but wait til the expert have their say :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Robbyn,

That looks almost right.  Take the running end and run it behind the part going upwards.  That way it will hold it securely. After you're sure it's properly taut, touch some fabric glue or PVA to it.  Make the rope coil "off ship" and put it on the pin.

I like the new profile picture.   You two look happy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have been studying these plans since 4pm this afternoon, it is now 10pm and I think I finally figured out what string goes where, and where it belays or ties off too...sometimes I really am an idiot...it was right there on the plans, but my mind refused to see it!

Now one (hopefully the final) question, is there a special knot I should use to tie off around the belaying pins?

Robbyn,

I found it almost impossible on this scale to make a knot around the pin.

as I have done this.

First insert the homemade rope to the pin.

then bring the rope as shown in the pictures.

Pfff my English   :(  :(  :(  (send some pictures  :D )

post-13-0-19101600-1381039363_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-62803400-1381039377_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-62295300-1381039389_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-71821600-1381039399_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-46431400-1381039409_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-01255300-1381039428_thumb.jpg

I hope you find them useful

Edited by robert1965

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel
H.M.S. Victory - Deagostini

Complete Project: San Fransisco II Artesania. / King of the Mississippi Artesania

looks right to me........I second the avatar  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Robbyn, I tie the line off as per the real thing, ie up and down around the belaying pin as per the pic you show. I took a piece of brass wire about 1.5mm in diameter and beat one end out flat so it looks like a flat screw driver blade, then filed a groove into the end of the wedge. Hold the line with one hand well beyond the belaying pin and catch the line near the belaying pin in the groove of the tool. You can then use the tool to push the line in behind the bottom of the belaying pin and loop it around it, then catch the line again and draw it across and over the top of the pin and loop it there, repeat a few times then simply tie off by doing an inverse loop over the top of the pin, ie instead of running the tail OVER the line, finish it so it is UNDER the line and pull tight. Leave the long tail until you are finished. This way you can undo and adjust if required as you proceed with other rigging. When you are finished you can then add a drop of glue to each one, once dry trim the ends and then place fake loops over the pins as shown by others above.

Hope this makes some sense.

Steve

Hi Robbyn,

I use the the same method as Steve (Bedford). His tip about a tool to help with this is really important - almost impossible to do otherwise! Another way to make a similar tool would be to take a sewing needle, cut off half the eye, leaving a two pronged "fork", then mount the sharp end into a length of dowel for a handle. I'm sure there are other tools and methods you could use too.

Edited by gjdale

I'm with Grant on the sewing needle.  And with you on the avatar!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Robert, thank you very much for the pictures, those helped considerably. I will make my rope coils using that method!

Grant, Steve, Augie...I have a sewing needle made up like that already, I used to use it to place tiny bits of CA where I needed it. But since I won't go anywhere near CA anymore because of the extreme reactions I have to it, now I have another use for the tool!

Mark, thanks for the detail about the running end BEHIND, that makes perfect sense to me now. I went to bed last night trying to figure out how to keep everything taut, the way they showed it and still creating those coils. Now I see...tie it off and secure, and do coils seperate.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looks really good Robbyn and soooo close now.... starting to get sails and soon she can sail to the shelf  :P

I just finished the ratlines and ran two more stays. Started looking at the yardarms and such and needed to take a break... my eyes hurt from those instructions and plan sheets... obviously it takes a while (for me at least) to absorb what the heck they intend. :wacko:

Here in Cincy it's 75 degrees but heavy rains all day.... this week it should turn a tad cooler but lows are only 40 or so at night.... I hope this year we actually get a little sustained cold since the last two years have been very mild and bland with only nuisance snow (1 to 2")...  and we yo-yo...  a day below freezing, two above, another freezing with a week above... lately we never really get a chance to acclimate.... Word on the street is this is supposed to be a brutal winter so I might have to eat that last sentence  ;)

Break time's over... time to make sense of yardarm #141 and #147 etc....

Hey Robbyn....I use the same tool.  Useless for CA (I prefer a toothpick) but great on rigging.

You can hold off on the wood festival ---- 60's and 70's coming for you for a week.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Randy, remember how fiddly and delicate and dang tiny the upper shrouds and ratlines are???? Wait till you get to the running rigging OMG it is a pain in the a** messing with such tiny pieces and trying to tie tiny string around it lol.

Now to keep this ship related, the very first 2 lines are on...only 300 or more to go post-127-0-81090000-1381080579.gif

post-127-0-98067600-1381080496_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Robbyn,

Your SF 11 looks really nice with sails. A little tip I read of many years ago re belaying. Pass the line to be belayed through the hole in the pinrail etc then push the belaying pin in the hole. It will hold the line secure while you put on your couple of figure of eight turns,nothing more annoying than losing your hold on the line and it unraveling and slacking off. Can´t be seen once you have put your rope hanks on,yeah,I know that´s cheating ;)

Regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

Dave, Wow, now that sounds like a great tip and an easy fix to the slackening problem! Thanks for dropping in and sharing, I think you just made my life a bit easier :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station