San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Progress at last!!!

I took everyone's advice and took a work/stress break today. I am still behind as far as school is concerned, but tomorrow is another day :P  Besides, every once in awhile you just gotta say what the heck and do something for yourself!

So all the lower shrouds and ratlines are complete...not perfect, but at this point good enough for me!

Now I am back to where I was before I ripped everything out lol. Need to spend some time reading the instructions again and figure out what I need for the upper rigging, then I can say I have made some real progress!

post-127-0-84358500-1378171799_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-22116600-1378171832_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

very nice ratlines...well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sweet ratlines.  And good for you to take a day for yourself.   Sanity is precious.  ;)    Oh...wait.. you were doing ratlines.  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lets see... so you re-planked 3 times and this is the 2nd or 3rd time on rigging...Hey you will have actually built 3 SF's when you finish this one. Amazing, 3 ships worth of practice in one build. Now I call that multi-tasking. :D

Nice work Robbyn, Your standing rigging look nice and evenly spaced and nice and tight. Bet it feels good to get that step over, pat yourself on the back or have Craig do it for you, good weel done.  It's good to see you get a chance to have some sea-duty, hopefully there will be more soon to follow.

I know what you mean about the developing of new curriculum. The 1st year is always the hardest and writing as you go can be very demanding. I tended to rewrite everything every summer as you did, to adjust what did and didn't work, but with each passing year the modifications become less and less daunting. I also loved filling out the curriculum once the science was filled in and add a lot of background history of the science. I always believed that seeing how science developed and in what conditions and for what reasons, seemed to make the topics more alive and interesting. Too bad most students just saw it as extra work.       

Nice work!  Now you can get on to the fun stuff.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good job Robbin ! It's get better once the ratlines are done.... Wait I'm still on the ratlines I'm hopping its gets better :-)

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Hi Robbyn,

I don't feel myself alone anymore with those ratlines !

Very,very nice !

In two weeks the SF will be finished !!!!!!!

Good luck with all the school stuff.

And just what you are saying your self….take a break from it from time to time !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Looking really nice. Very inspiring

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hahahahaha Sam....no!!!!....well, hmmmmm....maybe?

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

So, I am to the fed up, bored out of my mind, really getting frustrated point!!! Just want to chuck this darn thing in the wood bin for kindling use this fall!!!

Have you ever just wanted to be DONE? I know, the end is actually in sight, but now everytime I look at her all I see is all the mistakes and flaws and things I want to do better the next time. Just really frustrated at this stage.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

done is when all the lines on the plans are completed and rigged..........but lots of folks go beyond that.   think of being done.....like the horizon.......you get to the point where all it is to you,  is a flat line.........it seems endless.  it can be frustrating....but keep thinking of the end result.........you should see land very soon now.   throwing it in the wood pile is going to what........give you 15 mins of heat .....maybe?

you won't do that though........you've come too far already ;)   you'll finish it.....to your satisfaction {no one elses},  and put her up on the shelf.........but I'll tell ya something........look it over again,  after you've done a couple more.   you'll see how far you've progressed in experience....all because you stuck to it,  and finished it.    besides.......makes for a great conversation piece for show and tell ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

STEP AWAY FROM THE BUILD ---- with your hands in the air.

Normally, at times when you feel like this, it's necessary to take a break.  But you just had a break.  The problem is you're probably not ready to settle back into the building routine. 

My guess is that you have a million things on your mind and your normal 'escape' to the shop isn't working.  It's acting like the one millionth and ONE thing.  Give it a break for now and get those other things reduced to routine rather than crisis status.  You will then look forward to returning to her.

I've been in the same place.......I'm sure many of us have. 

Take a deep breath, relax and then whip that other 'stuff' into submission.  Your gal, and your friends here on MSW will be patient.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

What they said...

Believe me, I know the frustration this gal can give ya. I've redone and redone and then decided to redo parts again. I want to put her on a shelf, and I too thought of how many btu's she'd produce but I won't do it. I can't trash her, warts and all. Neither can you.

I also know the frustration of feeling like I'm not having fun... and that's when I walk away and do other stuff. Lots of other stuff and I forget about her.... until one day I decide to look at her and see where I left off.... might tie a ratline... might not.... or I might tie 3 or 6 or a dozen... either way... I have no timeline to define what I SHOULD do so I do what I want to do and what I feel comfortable doing... my ship, my timeline, my hobby. Naturally the same applies to you. ;)

Give yourself a breather.... both you and your ship will benefit :)

You've already received some wonderful suggestions from others, so won't add more to what's already been well said! :) Will say though that I definitely had times when I was extremely frustrated...stepping away helped me and saved my builds. You're not alone in what you're feeling, and I believe most of us experience similar feelings at some point with this hobby. Hang in there Robbyn, this too will pass! :)

Jay

Current Build:

We've all been there (and still are :) ).   We want it done, we see the mistakes.   When you're done with your break and feel like getting back into it.  Ask yourself two questions:  "Can I live with this?" and "Can I do better on the next one?".  It's steep learning curve and if at some point we stopped moving forward on the build, we'd never progress and no model would ever be finished.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi there Robbyn, I know what you mean about being over it, my first very nearly became a flying boat several times!

Patience and perseverance. I think you have gone all out on this one and it is doing your head in. Perhaaps you need to accept the the first isnt going to be the best and be happy to look on it as what it has been, a huge education.

Steve

Robbyn, "Whatever are you complaining about? Its beautiful" Sound familiar?  ;)

Seriously, I know how you feel. Extend your building break like others have mentioned then sneak up on her and just take an open eyed look, try to leave the emotion out of it. Try to look at it from another's perspective, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

I have been captain grumps with my build too, but fortunately we have people here who make us take a second and look again and see what we have done really isnt as bad as we first thought. I think your doing a great job.

Hang in there!

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Robbyn,

We model builders are a creative people. We are like the writer who says, “I should have said it this way.”  Or the artist that says, “The color is wrong in that area.”  For me when others see my boats they say, “WOW” and “That’s amazing.” But when I look at my boats I see the mistakes and where I could have done better.  Creative people never create perfection in their own eyes.  I have a cross stitch sign over my work bench to remind me of this.  It says:

“Nobody is purfect.” 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

its all already said but i ll put my 2 cents in. dont see them as mistakes (we sure dont) but as what makes yours unique and gives it character. if we could all made perfect copies of what it should the beauty would get lost

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Robbyn

Here is my two cents. Your model looks great!

I am at the same point you are with my Conny. I have been building her for over three years. When I look back on her I also see my mistakes, but you have to realize as the time goes by on your build your skills increase. So now that your skills are better you tend to want to go back and redo all the  earlier faults. Even though both our models are from kits, we are always looking at ways to make them better. I guess we progress form kit builds to kit bashing to semi scratch builders.

I also have other builds in the wings and made a promise to myself to finish the Conny before going on to the other ones. So hang in there and finish your build. You have had a LOT on your plate lately :D and some times you need to take a little time for yourself and then get back to making some sawdust.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Thanks for all the kind words guys...I am going to take everyone's advice and just take  building break...

My life is good don't get me wrong, I am healthy, have a wonderful man I adore, who loves me, I am employed, I can pay my bills on time without stressing about them, and I still have a bit left over for hobby supplies. I am just really frustrated right now. :huh: 

I have barely seen Craig since we got back from Sturgis, his job has gone mutant, 4 new wells that have him "babysitting" them every 4 hours because they are producing so much oil. Might not be such a huge isuue but they are more than hour away from home, so he leaves about 4am, I see him for supper, then he is off again and doesn't make it home till 10 or 11pm, then it starts over again at 4am, this is 7 days a week right now. I am sure the land owner is ecstatic, his share, 600K to 1 mill A MONTH!!! :o

Wow, sure wish I owned some crappy  pasture land with a big pool of oil under it :P

Plus I am terribly burnt out at school. This is the first time ever that I have not been excited to begin a new semester :(  I love teaching, but right now...I just want a mental vacation.

I promise, I will pull myself together, and come back refreshed and revitalized. Maybe when I come back to the work bench I will sneak up on the longboat that is waiting for her rigging as well. Maybe if I put the SF off to the side and focus on the other I will be more inspired to finish.

I am happy to hear others look at their builds and see the flaws jumping out at them as well....I really was seriously beginning to doubt my ability to do a decent job. Like Geoff said, there is a part of me that now wishes I could just start her over, and do all those early things better, now that I have learned new things, but the other part of me just says Ughhhhh, I am sick of her and want her done!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent...I don't think Craig would understand, and he's so busy I don't want to whine to him about something so petty lol.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Yeah Robbyn it seems to me that you have just had a big break from everything but it was more hectic than normal life. You need a holiday to recover from your holiday.

Kick back and take it easy for a while.

Go back to her when you feel the desire to do so, that makes it a hobby, not when she calls you, that makes it a job.

Steve

Yeah Robbyn it seems to me that you have just had a big break from everything but it was more hectic than normal life. You need a holiday to recover from your holiday.

Kick back and take it easy for a while.

Go back to her when you feel the desire to do so, that makes it a hobby, not when she calls you, that makes it a job.

Steve

Steve just said it all.  We'll be here for you when you're ready.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Years ago there were studies about how stress made you sick and they came up with a list of things that caused stress and how much stress each caused. Death in the family was number one but marriage was in the top five.  Set aside as much as you can and take care of yourself.  We don’t want you to get sick.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi everyone! I am feeling much better today...I actually got to ride my Harley Friday afternoon, well kind of. It is sitting in the garage of a farm my sister-in-law owns (the house we hope to buy when the woman who willed it to my sister-in-law passes) Anyway, on the way home from work Friday I decided I was tired of knowing the bike was there, but not being able to touch it, so I came home, read the owner's manual then drove over to try her out. I practiced starting and stopping, wanting to make sure I could hold and balance her okay. I had no problems handling her at very low speeds. I was only able to get her into 2nd gear, the yard where I was riding is only so big, but it sure felt good! I was too nervous to ride her alone, and get out on the highway to really open her up, but hopefully one of these weekends before the weather turns to crap, Craig will actually get some time off, so he can be with me. She is soooo much bigger than any bike I have ever ridden before, so she makes me a bit nervous. Probably a good thing, at least I respect the power she has. Problem is that as we get older, it is so much easier to envision how much some things will hurt when they happen :P

Spent yesterday canning. It has been 14 years since the last time I did that (last time I had a true garden), but other than needing to buy the equipment again, all went well. Canned bread & butter pickles, salsa, and tomato juice. Plan to do more tomato juice and homemade spaghetti sauce next weekend. Feels real good to create things like that from my own produce. I can't wait to have a much bigger garden next year :o .

Today, I got caught up on school work, then I decided it was way past time to clean up my hobby area and get re-organized. I bought a couple more plastic storage thingys with drawers, then proceed to lay every tool and bits and pieces of anything hobby related out on the living room floor (took most of the floor) sorted and created a place for everything.

I can't believe how much better I feel now that everything is organized. I can look at my ships now and see possibility again rather than dread!

So, I am going to get supper started, then sit down and start serving my upper shroud lines, life feels on an even keel again :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Getting the shop organized and making spaghetti sauce.....now that's a weekend.  Congrats!

Now here's more good news.  The sun, which has been nailed in the sky for a month, has slipped behind some clouds and it looks like some cooler weather is on the way.  Should get to you by tomorrow  :)  :) .

Be well!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976