San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Hi Robbyn, that Morope sure looks nice!  I also saw Chuck is selling rope from his Syren company.  It looks amazing, doesn't it?  Do you think he'll send me 100 yards as a free test sample?  :D

And I agree with Sjors... more pics of your beautiful build please!

Wolf

Current build : San Francisco II (AL)

I was very busy yesterday, feel like I made a decent dent in the rigging.

First, I set up both serving machines and served my shroud lines, it worked well, while the line on one machine was drying (the spot of ca to hold) I could serve the next, made it very nice to just keep going without downtime for glue drying

post-127-0-53331400-1374586873_thumb.jpg

Next I seized the lines where they will loop over the masts

post-127-0-39920300-1374586904_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-06499400-1374586889_thumb.jpg

Next I looped the shroud lines over the masts and put the lines down through the crow's nest. I alternated sides until all the lines were where they needed to go. (yes I see the chipped paint, I will need to do some touch ups later)

post-127-0-23681800-1374586923_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-71258600-1374586942_thumb.jpg

Once all the shroud lines were attached at the masts I attached the other end of the lines to the deadeyes on my jig to keep the spacing even. (used CA to help hold the deadeyes to the shroud line)

By the time I had finished, the first were dry and I could go back and do the first seizing above the deadeye

post-127-0-38365200-1374586961_thumb.jpg

Again, once finished I could go right back to the beginning and add the second Seizing

post-127-0-59014600-1374586975_thumb.jpg

One mast's seized shroud lines

post-127-0-68904200-1374586991_thumb.jpg

Where she stands now...all shroud lines are on and attached to deadeyes....Next, the lanyards between deadeyes to hold it all in place....that will have to wait a bit....I have school work to focus on today...and as usual, I am having a bad reaction to the CA from yesterday. Knowing I will need it again for the lanyards, I think a break is best for my sinuses. I wish it wasn't so HOT, I would build outside where the fumes would not get to me!!!!!

Maybe, if I finish the school work, I can at least take the lanyard pieces outside to dip in CA (to make a "needle" end for threading through the deadeye holes). And maybe...just maybe...I can get some more done...BUT SCHOOL WORK FIRST!

post-127-0-28400900-1374587010_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I see that you are seizing the moment ;)

I am glad that things are working well, Oh and I deposited the million dollars, thanks it will make retirement just that bit easier.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Seizing looks great.  You''ll have cooler weather by Thursday AM!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Syren Ship Model Company|Boxwood ship model rigging blocks|Ship Model rigging rope |turned brass cannon| Chuck Passaro

this link should take you right to it  ;)      nice work on the shrouds Robbyn

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice looking earrings.  No.  Wait.  Those are deadeyes.  I Think.

Looking great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Robbyn,

Nice seizing!

Looks great on the mast only one thing………you make every shroud of his own when it goes to the deadeye?

I just read in Lennarth  Petersons book ( that I've got from Mobbsie ) that the shrouds are going in pairs…….

So two shrouds with one seizing on the port side and then two shrouds with one seizing at the starboard side ( or other way round )

I hope this make a little sense……..

I have to re-rigging the shrouds on the Mirage and this is the way I want to do it.

I don't know if you have that book.

Or just don't listen to me  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Yes Sjors, they are in pairs....there is one single on the mast that has an odd number, but all the rest are pairs

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

If you want to work a little faster...

For seizings, I start with a tight clove hitch, and finish with a couple of half hitches. These will hold until the line is coated in matte medium, and if your seizing line is fine enough, you'll never see the knots anyway. No need for CA either...

Nice job all around, anyway ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Very nice Robbyn - that is a quantum leap over the first time around. I'll bet you're glad you decided to re-do them now. :)

That was a very brave and a right decision to start over with the rigging Robbyn, great seizing your doing there and the deadeyes look super.

With life for you as it is right now it's a wonder how you get the time to do any building let along to the standard your working at, all credit to you.

I look forward to watching your progress even if it is from the shadows, keep it up.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Robbyn,

with each passing day your SF becames more worthy...

BTW, I would like to learn why shrouds aren't straight because of the gravity, how they stay bended?

And a humble suggestion: I am not a distributor nor a dealer :)  but why don't you think to use G-S hypo-cement? I think CA is a derivative of cyanide...

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1799-frigate-berlin-by-ferit-kutlu-corel-scale-140-year-1674/page-7

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

CA is Cyanoacrylate and its a molecule that has a cyano group attachment. The main toxicity of CA isn't necessarily the Cyano group or fear of cyanide, but rather it's fuming. In the liquid form the molecules are monomer form. Upon bonding they polymerize. As moisture is an accelerant when the fuming monomers come in contact with moist body parts, think nasal to lungs and eyes mainly, It polymerizes onto the moist surface and becomes an irritant for some and a severe reaction for others. It's effects can also become worsened by repeated exposure.

Personally I rarely use the stuff. It really bothers my eyes and I'm already haveing issues and don't need more.

Sorry, the chemist is me kicked in.

I need to check out that GS Hypocement also.

If the fumes were cyanide people would be dropping dead rather then having a reaction.

Cyanide's an interesting ion. Its actually an ion not a molecule. Due to its structure its very similar to an oxygen molecule. As in Carbon monoxide which is a CO or C=O (triple bonded) oxygen is double bonded O=O and cyanide is also trple bonded C=N- ( plus negative charge) which I'm guessing reacts with the positive Fe at the center of the hemoglobin to cause the oxygen transfer issues. Cyanide poisoning is basically asphyxiation. The similar size and shape allow it to interact with the heme group and do it in an irreversible way. At the cell where respiration occurs the cyanide isn't released and basically death occurs as oxygen is prevented from doing its Thang.

Sorry, more chemist geek stuff.

Grant, Mobsie, Ferrit, Sherry, and anyone I missed,

Thank you so much for the compliments...good rope makes all the difference in the world. and I am MUCH happier with the looks of things right now!

Ferrit, I dipped all my rope in clear varnish and then stretched it, when it was dry I coiled it all up and stored it away until I had the time to use it. Right now there just isn't any weight on the ends of those shroud lines to pull the coil out of it, so they dangle all in a funny looking mess. I am not worried about it, just a slight bit of tension pulls it straight again, so once that lanyards are done, it will all hang nice and straight as it should.

Keith, I don't care WHAT is in CA....I just know I always have a nasty reaction to it! 

Ferrit, I did purchase 3 tubes of the hypo cement you recommended and I have used it several times. Knowing I only had the one day set aside to get all the shroud lines on, I foolishly opted to use the CA because it seems to dry faster than the Hypo....I paid for that choice, but I did get all the lines on like I wanted.

I really need to just throw all my CA away...then I would not be tempted to use it anymore. I got very little accomplished yesterday...that stupid CA always make me so fuzzy headed, and all I want to do is sleep.....really had work to do...

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn - your rigging is progressing well. Based upon the chemistry tutorial, Augie's moose is probably endothermically impacting the trout, resulting in the higher thermal stresses on Sjors' bus in the Netherlands. This, in turn, has altered the acid/base equilibrium causing John (Texxn5) to have R/V issues.

I could go on, but will let the voice of reason explain the rest.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Just stopped in to see whats the what....   The seizing work looks awesome!!!

As for chemistry uhm, erm... well..... 

Hydrogen Silver(-g) Phosphorous Phosphorus Yttrium

Molybdenum Deuterium Electron Lithium Nitrogen Germanium !!  :P

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Just so people don't think I have been slacking off, in between school stuff I have actually gotten some of the shroud lines up and awaiting rat lines.

I fear though, that is as far as I might make it until after Sturgis. I have 6 more days to get everything ready for the fall semester, finish the summer class, and pack and get ready for Sturgis and the wedding.

I am sorry Sjors, these pics may have to hold you for a couple weeks!

post-127-0-60911100-1375157069_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-11385200-1375157083_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Very nice Robbyn, but I doubt that You know Who will be satisfied with a mere two pics to last another couple of weeks! :D

The way you talk of your "to-do" list makes the wedding sound almost like an afterthought!

1. Get ready for Fall semester

2. Finish Summer class

3. Pack

4. Get ready for Sturgis

5. Now what was that other thing I had to do? Oh yeah, get married!!! :D

I trust that's not really the case Robbyn 'cause the rest of us are certainly excited for you! Don't forget we expect lots of pics from the wedding.

Looking good Robbyn. one step closer to putting this first build on the done shelf.

Also, one step closer to Sturgis... it starts next monday I think ... august 5th right?... when during all the activity is the wedding? I imagine you'll be out of touch starting this weekend.

So...early congratulations! :D :D

We will, naturally, need pics... ;)

your model is looking great Robynn!

have a safe trip to Sturgis, hope the wedding and honeymoon are perfect.

wish you all the best!!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Excellent Job Robbyn and Pre-Congrats on the wedding and have a blast at Sturgis and beyond!!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Shrouds are looking great!

Wishing you all the best as you embark on a new and exciting journey. If you are fortunate enough to have even half the happiness I have enjoyed through married life...then you will be truly blessed!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower