SMS WESPE 1876 by wefalck – 1/160 scale - Armored Gunboat of the Imperial German Navy - as first commissioned

Looking very good and the pictures make it seem a lot larger than it is.  As "other things getting in the way"... that's life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank's gentlemen!

Actually, this technique of building has been described in the classic works on POF, think Underhill or Curti, I just translated it into different materials and some modern tooling.

The copper wire to keep the frames down was an emergency solution, when I realised that the frames would not follow the core due to the slight tumblehome of hull. I first tried thread, but twisting the wire pulled it nice and snug around the template. 

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

So much detail in such a tiny space. I do love the technique for getting the form of the boats. I will definitely have to give that method a try in the future. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

• 2 weeks later...

Jolly-Boat continued 2

Just a short update to show that the planking as such is finished. I am not 100% satisfied with my work. The plank widths could/should have been more equal, but I somehow struggled with the shape of this boat more than with the others. Also, it was easier to glue the planks to the solid core than just to the framework and the edge of the plank underneath.

image.png.22cb7c55b410b704a9d85cddaae3d61d.png

Jolly-boat starboard side – overall length is 36 mm

After the planks were on, a doubling  for the keel and stem was attached to both side, kind of faking a landing of the planks in a rabbet.

image.png.83d286bf0b5aa839cbc3b70afbc02b75.png

Jolly-boat port side

There are several little gaps and other imperfections that need to be touched up with a bit of putty, but I will do this only after having separated (hopefully) the boat from the former. The putty is quite brittle and my fall out during the procedure.

image.png.5059a80dde355fba856a69a54dcd358d.png

Looking down onto the planking

Once the boat has been released and the frames trimmed back, the wash-strake can be sanded to its final width and shape. Some additional (cant)frames will have to go in before the further fitting out can begin.

To be continued ....

wefalck

On 10/5/2022 at 8:59 PM, wefalck said:

I am not 100% satisfied with my work.

Eberhard, I think you are being a little bit hard on yourself, The overall effect is looking very good. It will be interesting to see how easily it comes off the frames.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Well, I can see why you might not be entirely satisfied - if that boat was at 1:48 scale. But at the small scale you are working at, it is quite remarkable!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Your little boat is quite amazing - just like your whole build! Adding all these details with such precision at that scale is mind-bugling. For most parts of your model you probably need a powerful magnifying glass to see them at all 🙂

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks gentlemen !

I actually realise, how this not so even planking happened. On one hand, I didn't look too carefully at the running of the planking on the starbord bow-section, being mainly concerned that the planks on both sides meet properly - negligence. On the other hand, the stern area was not fully filled with the core and there was a too large gap between the last frame and the transom - it was difficult to align the planks without pushing them in.

At this small size it was also difficult to mark out the runs of the planks beforehand, so I did everything 'by eye'. This got me into trouble in the transition area between the stern-post and the transom, where on this boat there is quite a small-radiused transition curve between both. Perhaps I should have had a narrower plank at that point. For technical reasons the planks are wider than one would have on the prototype: the small scale-overlap was just not achievable, particularly as the edges could not be bevelled.

Perhaps working in thin veneer or styrene would be better than using paper, but my cheapo laser-cutter cannot handle such materials, it jut doesn't have enough power for it.

wefalck

Eberhard, I have to go along with the previous comments from Keith, Druxey and Thomas. At that small of scale, unless you are using a magnifying glass and closely inspecting the hulls, its not noticeable at all. You have all my respect. With my big hands there is no way that I could even come close to the quality of workmanship you produce on such tiny boats. I would have just drawn the individual planks on and called it good. 😁

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

I gather, oneself is one's worst critic ... and being critical of one's own work gives one the means to do better next time. 

The most difficult thing is to overcome one's own impatience to get things done 🤔

My problem often is that I work so slowly (also because 'real' life gets in the way all the time) that I often keep forgetting lessons learnt by the time I should use them again 😬

wefalck

I have read that an old (British?) Naval expression says,  “A Ship is judged by the condition of her boats” and your boat is very nice.  I also suspect that at this small scale your Mark 1 Eyeball did a better job of arranging the planking than you would have done by marking them out on the plug.

Roger

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

My problem often is that I work so slowly (also because 'real' life gets in the way all the time) that I often keep forgetting lessons learnt by the time I should use them again 

Amen to that, Eberhard.

The jolly boat looks great, in fact at 1:160 scale it's remarkable. 

Eberhard hi.

I've followed your build from the beginning, yet have to admit your choice of subject hasn't been my cup of tea, mainly due to my lack of knowledge of the type.

However, your approach and consummate skill has retained my attention and admiration.

Rogers comment #701 reflects my own thoughts; at this scale your boats are little jewels and I look forward to their completion, with no doubt they will compliment all your excellent work so far.

Thanks again to all your encouragement and praise 😇

Jolly-Boat continued 3

The moment of truth: I removed the copper wire and cut the extended frames with my micro-scissors.

image.png.6554af11d6bc53e8f8dee31906a4efce.png

Cutting the extended frames with micro-scissors

With some cautious rocking of the shell, it came off cleanly.

The result is a quite strong hull with the typical exterior and interior look of a clinker-built boat. Unfortunately, some of the frames have moved a bit, but with a drop of acetone this can be fixed.

image.png.2b464543747c4429c25aefd3827f1e97.png

Hull begins to detach from the former

I noticed, that the frames did not glue well to the wash-strake, which is actually good, because on the prototype they did not continue to this strake, but ended under an in-whale. I will have find a way to cleanly cut the frames at the appropriate height and then continue with installing the cant-frames, in-whales, floor-boards, seats, etc.

image.png.4bc7e31fdb4f43161ccbf56442fb82c0.png

Hull successfully taken off the former

I am actually wondering now, whether I could have assembled the hull in traditional clinker-fashion, with ‘edge-fastening’ the strakes only and then inserted the frames prototype-fashion afterwards. On the other hand, gluing the stem-keel-combination to the tied-down frames gave a rigid back-bone to work from. So this was probably the best way.

To be continued ....

wefalck

I agree that, at that micro-size, the laps alone would probably not have held. Perhaps just a few frames (say, every fourth) might very well be enough, and then insert the remaining ones after the shell is off the plug. At any rate, the fixes are easy and a terrific result!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

A great result using the plug method Eberhard; looks good and with the few minor repairs you mention will really good (especially at that scale).

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks again for the friendly encouragement!

Jolly-Boat continued 4

After some deliberations, I decided to cut the top of the frames back to gunwale level using a sort of micro-scalpel made from a piece of razor-blade just under 1 mm wide and held in a holder meant for that purposes (they come from the biological/medical realm). 

image.png.71a54e7dd61e3b4b2f488cf501889acc.png 

Hull with frames cut back to gunwale level

Next went in the gunwale, laser-cut strips of paper 0.35 mm wide and 0.12 mm thick, and the inwales on which the seats rest, 0.5 mm x 0.12 mm. These were all lacquered in.

image.png.88b7a92b34cfe0145fd5172920e68194.png 

image.png.4ec603e32348e944786169d6591ae439.png

Hull with gunwales and inwales

On the prototype the floorboard, of course, were individual planks, but aligning them properly would have been rather difficult, so I cheated a bit and joined them. This will be barely visible under the seats eventually.

image.png.a6ac900c2bff05361e37283622dea588.png

Floorboards installed in the hull

As my building was not as precise to the drawings, as I would have wished, the stern-sheets and the little platform in the bow required a bit of trial and error, and re-drawing for the laser-cutting. Still a bit of sanding to fit was required.

Sanding paper is not that much fun, but re-soaking it in lacquer after a few strokes with a diamond-file keeps fraying under control. 

image.png.42b1dd68e79a282428c2593413f35358.png

Stern-sheets, rowing seats and bow-platform installed

I also laser-cut some foot-rests for the rowers – these parts are double layers of paper, with the actual rest about 0.2 mm x 0.2 mm in cross-section

image.png.e7c6aff518ae372ce0a4e5800a6cb257.png

The footrests for the rowers are visible just before the rowing seat behind

This concludes the main structural parts, but a lot of small bits and pieces still need to be done.

wefalck

Amazingly clear and precise detail for that scale Eberhard; I'm impressed!

I can see some value in that small blade and holder; are they readily available online?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

319139283_download(2).jpg.7805aa8a96ace1921c1e9aaeabd85a3e.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Unbelievable and amazing, Eberhard. You have my upmost respect. 

Just amazing work. I still have a hard time believing that you are using paper for this. 

-Brian

Thanks, gentlemen, for your kind words!

Brian, I would rather use styrene sheet, but my little cheapo laser-cutter just doesn't deliver enough energy to evaporate/burn even thin styrene - plus the high reflectance of white material. Black styrene might work, but I don't think they make it in 0.15 mm, 0.2 mm or 0.25 mm thickness. Paper has a lot less of mass per volume to burn, than plastics.

Pat, I got it through ebay from China, search for 'surgical blade breaker'. I saw them decades ago in a catalogue for surgical instruments, but they were extremely expensive. I gather the Chines now sell 'seconds' through the Internet or just produce cheaper, so the stuff becomes affordable for non-professionals. However, for Europeans this source kind of dried up, since we are charged import duties now from the first cent on - and I am not happy with the geopolitical developments there.

wefalck

Great work Eberard,

that little cutter looks fantastic !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nothing more to say that repeat my WOW.

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Beautiful little boat Eberhard. I was surprised how well your late fixes worked, it looks perfect.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Glad to hear that I lived up to your expectations  ;)

Jolly-Boat continued 5

A short update before painting begins. A couple of small details were still missing, including the rubbing strake, for which again 0.2 mm copper wire was used, the stanchions under the seats, and the row-locks.

The stanchions were composed from three layers of laser-cut paper. Perhaps I should have milled them from brass rod, but I was somehow too lazy to take out my micro-mill.

image.png.90323ba214c98a51075790ac86911ae3.pngDesign of the row-locks. Drawing by Peter Rückert in LOGBUCH 2-2019.

The row-locks actually form the stanchions for the wash-strake, which structurally and strictly speaking is not part of the hull, but attached to it to heighten the free-board of the boat. They consist of two wooden clamps on which the actual row-lock in cast bronze sits. The wash-strake has square cut-outs for the oars, which are closed with wooden ‘shutters’ fitting into bevelled slots. To illustrate this, I enclose a drawing by a colleague and expert on the Imperial Navy boats, who sadly died last year much too young.

image.png.97e611df53b8ed847b1a8a88cea544db.png

The basic shape of these tiny specs of paper were cut out using the laser-cutting and lacquered into place. Originally, I had envisaged to fashion them from brass, but had the feeling that they were just too small to make this practical.

image.png.02ec32f423e0970dcaf2f52b9159b18c.png

I decided to show the locks closed, which saved me the trouble of having to cut out the square openings in the wash-strake. I just little scored them with a not too sharp scalpel.

image.png.147283363abfe9589f4a445ae41d2285.png

With this, the boat is ready to be painted. There is still some iron hardware that has to go on, but this will be installed after the painting, as it is supposed to be galvanized iron. I am actually not sure, whether the iron-work was painted over or left bare, but think it will add more detail to leave it bare.

The first of paint on the outside is now drying …

To be continued ....

wefalck

This jolly boat just keeps getting better and better. It almost would warrant a build log for itself. Beautiful detail Eberhard. 

-Brian

Eberhard, congratulations - an amazing example of miniature fabrication.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures