Rainbow by Omega1234 - FINISHED - J-Class Racing Yacht

Thanks Igor

Even though these are only temporary templates, I now know that the shading to simulate the reinforced panels on the sails are too dark.  When I do the real sails, I'll have to do them very lightly, so that they can only just be seen from a distance (instead of being so prominent as they are now).  I guess it just shows the value of learning by trial and error.

All the best

Patrick

Thanks Igor

Even though these are only temporary templates, I now know that the shading to simulate the reinforced panels on the sails are too dark.  When I do the real sails, I'll have to do them very lightly, so that they can only just be seen from a distance (instead of being so prominent as they are now).  I guess it just shows the value of learning by trial and error.

All the best

Patrick

Yes, Patrick,

I understood too that very difficult to represent the shading on the sail in such small scale.

I tried to apply the shading with the pencil on a film about which I spoke earlier, but found that the pencil 5H scratched a covering. Now I try different options - for example, to use hairspray. I will tell later that turned out. By the way, I used the hair dryer of my wife to smooth some folds on this film.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Igor

Thanks for the tip about the hairdryer!  

I'll experiment using Dennis' suggestion of glueing the panels on, as opposed to drawing them  This method may work better because, after all, the real sails would consist of a layer of sail cloth stuck/sewn onto the sail to reinforce it. 

Maybe worth a try, for sure.

Cheers

Patrick

Hello Patrick, Wow !!!! Just saw you build log and I lost my speech....Incredible work you've done there .She is beautiful!!! :10_1_10:

Cheers :) :)

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hi Patrick,

you do as always, a good job.

The sails look good but I think the solution with an angle corrupts the impression (on photo), it is too much pronounced. You might to try other shades of paper taped to the corner, it would be "gentler" and imitated the reinforced part.

Anyway I regularly follows the progress of your building and

I'm delighted with your solutions and creating beautiful models.

Well done.

Regards, Matija.

Hi Everyone, especially to Nigel, Matija, Igor, Dimitris and Igor.

Nigel and Dimitris - many, many thanks for coming on board and participating in Rainbow's journey! Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated and welcomed. Please come back often for visits!

Matija - yes, you're absolutely correct about the shading to represent the reinforcement panels being too dark. Luckily, these are only templates of the sails and not the final product. I've drawn the lines and shading in order to help me understand how the patterns will look and how best to make them. I think I'll need to be not so heavy handed with the pencils next time!! Thanks for your feedback. Greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Patrick, even though the sails are just placeholders their shape gives your incredible model that extra edge! I look forward to seeing how you solve the reinforcement panels.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wow those mockup sails surely make a awesome impression. I see where you guys were talking about colored pencils and shading panels in the sail, Have you thought about trying chalk pastels, You can grind it into a powder and use a paintbrush or one of your wife's makeup sponges to do the shading and then seal it with hairspray, Just a thought to ponder or experiment with.

Happy modeling.

Marty G.

Looks good Patrick and agree about the shading being a bit too dark.  Try a B or H pencil and see how much or little graphite is placed on the sails.  Perhaps the 2 B is too soft.  Question though, would the gluing up of the panels not make the sail too stiff?  I guess some experimenting may be in order.

I sure like the effect you have achieved.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

When i was still in retail I experimented with the tissue that was used with shoe boxes and found it perfect for sails at the scale we work in.  I cut and glued the panels and and when i finished I lied the look.  The I have also used rice paper to do the same thing.  Has anyone tried silkspan?

David B

David,

There's been quite a few who have used silkspan.   John Tilley, in this article also suggests it:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Rigging_and_Sails/ScaleSails.pdf  It's an old article and many of the links are dead but it's still valuable for the techniques.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

man........is she REALLY taking shape!   the mock ups look great!   if you can get all that detail in the finished sails,   they will add so much to the build......simply awesome!    not to worry about the rigging........it always looks like that,  until it is tied down and trimmed  :)  

your really going above and beyond on this build!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Patrick

Such elegant work and such a nice model! The sails add so much!

Looking forward to your next posts

Regards

Vaddoc

Patrick,

Wow! Wow! & Wow again!!

You've really 'nailed' the tri-radial panel patterns, they look so incredibly realistic, congratulations!

The tack & clew reinforcing, while looking a little dark, could possibly do with being a little smaller? I could be wrong... It's also worth bearing in mind that those reinforcing areas will have fairly defined degrees of shading as the various panels overlap each other on the 'full size' variant.

You know, your attention to detail is truly phenomenal & I'm consistently in awe of the lengths you go to to achieve the correct 'look', congratulations!!

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Hi Gwyl, Row, Vaddoc, Dennis, David, Mark, Piet, Marty, Michael, and everyone who hit the Like button.

I must admit to feeling pretty humbled by everyone's comments, feedback and helpfulness. Thank you all so much!!! It's through such feedback and support that makes MSW so enjoyable.

I'm still working on tidying up Rainbow's rigging and other assorted areas. Once I've received Igor's sail material, I'll then be able to make a start on the sails. In the meantime, it's little by little at this stage.

I'll post more update photos later on.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi everyone

Well tonight I had a go at making the wind vane and aerial that sits right up the very top of Rainbow's 150ft mast. They took me all night and I can't say that it was easy. I can't even say that the results were worth the effort because they're so tiny and so insignificant, that you'd literally need a maginifying glass too see the wind vane clearly. In fact, I can't even photograph them clearly.

Oh well, here goes anyway...I warned you! The photo is a bit blurry and, and, and let's just say, you may need to add a dose of imagination in order to see them clearly.

Oh, and just for the sake of it, I couldn'nt resist adding another photo of the mocked up sails...I just love the way the Genoa curves around the deck line of the hull when viewed from above looking down...

All the best!

Patrick

post-7645-0-82934600-1429193525_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-90002800-1429193551_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

I like your masthead and windvane, and I agree with you about the shape of the Genoa.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Patrick you are bonkers!.....amazing work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

OMG........on such a tiny spectacle!  ;)   the vane looks so cool!.........dresses the mast up in a big way  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well done Patrick, weather vane too no less!  Sails look great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi everyone and a big thanks to all who hit the Like button and a special thanks to Igor, Jeff, Lawrence, Piet, Marty, David, Dennis, Michael, Bob and Row.

Thank you all for your comments and feedback. The weather vane was a bit of fun, but honestly, I could sneeze and it'll disappear!!! That's how small it is. Now I know how careful Igor has to be with the tiny fixtures that he builds!

Jeff - thanks for stopping by again. Yep, I have to admit that it was partly your encouragement as well as Igor's (amongst others) that has led me to adding sails to Rainbow! If it wasn't for you guys, I probably wouldn't have been so brave. Now, that I have, I'm glad that I tried them. I'm looking forward to doing the final sails later.

All the best for the weekend, folks!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

just    e x c e l l e n t  !!!

I suppose that you calibrated all instruments and that all indicators are in function B) (wind direction, true wind speed, apparent wind sped, VMG...)

Edited by Leo-zd

Hello Patrick, amazing work on those little things... The sails looks great!! :) :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

just    e x c e l l e n t  !!!

I suppose that you calibrated all instruments and that all indicators are in function B) (wind direction, true wind speed, apparent wind sped, VMG...)

Hi Leo

Hah! I wish....if only that were possible, I probably would've tried it, knowing me.

All the best and thanks for your compliments.

Cheers

Patrick