Chuck

Chuck's carving attempts - #11 blades and micro chisels

45 posts in this topic

your carvings look fine to me Chuck. but i have no idea how you can finish them whilst still on a mounting board, how can you get the roundness at the edges, as i said on my post i dont use mounting boards, heres a pic of my Vic stern carving, it is slightly less the 1/32 thick but not much, as for the finish i just scrape my blade sideways to smooth it out, when we are dealing with carvings as delicate as these we have to reach a equilibrium to are own satisfaction, and by the way i dont have big fingers

rules there is no rules

post-4391-0-98475300-1478995010_thumb.jpg

yes Chuck i totally agree, and only practice makes perfect, and hats off to you for starting this very under practiced skill. i am by no means a master carver and  whatever i can give i will but not only that I`m looking in on this great topic to improve my skills.. cheers Chuck..

So beautiful, nearly unbeleaveable Chuck,   :)

how do you mount / glue the lasered rough carving to the board for doing the fine carving and sanding work on it ?, so that it is removeable afterwards without breaking the fragile artwork to pieces ?

Nils

thibaultron, mtaylor and Canute like this

I'm just learning about you all, I am still struggling with the terms.

I do understand your tug of war here, and can see it, even with sanding cord the size of dental floss, it would seem to add more obstacles, not for the eight arm man.

There is a saw that is used for jewelry making, a lot smaller than a coping saw, but same basic thing, if you were to look into the blades, you should find round blades for this saw, for everything from cleaning, shaping and polishing.

From what I see here you are in great shape. Just keep charting the waters.

Chuck, mtaylor, thibaultron and 1 other like this

Very nice little carvings Chuck. I have some pointed diamond burrs for my Dremel that could be used without the Dremel for fine sanding. It would be easy to make handles for them for manual useor just chuck them up in a pin vise. I can't remember where I got them. Will try to post picks later today. I was also wondering if once you got your basic shape carved if it would be beneficial to harden the wood with ACC.  Also heaven forbid the forms could be carved in styrene if you intended to paint them.

thibaultron and mtaylor like this

I intend to use this great tutorial to try my hand at some carving. There are a couple of kits in the cupboard that require either the kit supplied resin carvings or doing my own. Would prefer doing my own just for the thrill of the journey, because my carvings probably won't be as good as the cast resin ones.