18' Cutter by Maurys - Scale 1:48 SMALL

As a diversion, I've started an 18' cutter with a plug and instructions from Admiralty Models.  I don't think they offer the plug any more, but the instructions can be found via a Google search.  The various parts of the keel assembly are each a different thickness, so I used my Byrnes thickness sander to get the right dimensions.

The keel is 3 1/2" sided, the stem 3" the stem apron 4 1/2", sternpost 3" and the sternson knee and transom are 1 1/2".

I chose to make the apron separate from the stem and getting it to match the after side of the stem takes some care.  I thought it easier than cutting it in one piece as David Antscherl did in his practum.  Lining the pieces up for gluing was a matter of sanding several shims to get the pieces centered on the keel with a proper fit.  No rush job here.  Prepping the plug is easy, with  adjustments where the apron fits...just a series of sanding the inner slot equally on both sides (count the strokes) until the apron fit snugly.  Once that was done, I used the keel assembly in the plug to align and glue on the transom.

Maury

post-923-0-98103200-1407791204_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-59205400-1407791215_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-80741000-1407791230_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-95830500-1407791244_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-05995200-1407791250_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maurys

Have fun with the cutter.  As I recall, there was a problem with the top of the sheer.  What are you going to use for the planking?  We used holly at the seminar; it bends beautifully and is a nice contrast to the costello of the frame.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Maury... count me in to watch. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks interesting I will watch, Nice start.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Excellent start Maury. It looks like you have one of the newer plugs with the cast separator so the problem Toni described should not be an issue. I also made my apron separate from the stem and found it much easier this way. I look forward to your build.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hang on to your seats. Toni, the ribs and planking are to be of holly. Probably finish the interior details with box.  The garboard plank is always a challenge.  I'm starting with a card template, but I'm not able to make fine adjustments to the card stock.  Card's cheap.  I'l just do another one. 

Thanks for tuning in.  Feel free to add suggestions as we move along.  This is my first attempt at clinker built planking!

Maury

An 18' cutte at 1:48 !  Count me in.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Three patterns for the first garboard (in card), followed by a plank in holly that was too short by 1/16".  Once more...   I wedged a couple of pieces of 1/64 scrap between the plug and into the rabbet to hold the keel assembly in place on the opposite side I'm working on.  I steamed the plank (wrapped in a wet paper towel and microwaved for 30 seconds) then put it in place and clamped it for drying.  After the piece is dry, I'll sand a little on the upper edge to get it to the plank line on the plug.  By the way, one side of the plug has the planks laid out with a very fine score.  That's a big help and I don't know why the score was not put on the other side.

Maury

post-923-0-99681700-1407879892_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-27996100-1407879897_thumb.jpg

That's a great idea about wedging the keel in place from the opposite side Maury.  I've been doing my own scratch version of this at a 1:90 scale with my own plug and have been having issues with keeping the keel in place. Your solution is so simply elegant and obvious, that I completely overlooked it.  Thanks! :)

Edited by gjdale

Maury, I like the way you are using the tweezers as a fine clamp, I shall have to remember that one.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

The garboard is an issue.  First one was too short (by 1/64th") and would show badly.  Lining up the plank into the stem rabbet after bending was another problem.  Now I know why I should be making it in pieces.  I've decided on two planks per strake all the way up to the sheer strake.  I think making a butt joint will be easier than making each strke in one piece.  Thanks for everyone's comments.

Maury

post-923-0-02065900-1407954984_thumb.jpg

Druxey, Thanks.  I followed your suggestion and it is much easier. 

Maury

Pics of the garboard planks installed.  Butt joint barely visible ate frame 8.

Maury

post-923-0-62703400-1408042599_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-78185400-1408042605_thumb.jpg

Now on to the first strake above the garboard (mounted upside-down).  This is where the edge of the garboard gets sanded a bit and the fore end of the plank gets a rolling bevel to 45 degrees.  Not as hard as I thought, but I think I'll do the rolling bevel on the next side before I glue it in place.  I don't have a full compliment of clamps so scrap planks and rubber bands will do.

Maury

post-923-0-92731800-1408133846_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-85794400-1408133853_thumb.jpg

Maury....enjoying watching you go at this tiny cutter. They really are a nice challenge and a fun build. My first impression from your posted pic is that you may be starting off with a plank that is slightly out of scale in width. Might just be the angle of the shot.

Cheers

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Dave,  There is about 1/32" over-size to account for the overr-lap if the garboard plank.  Whem I fit it on, I had to sand off about 1/64" to line it up to the scores on the plug.  As for the exposition, I'm just following the instructions David and Greg put out.  Masters, both.  It's a good thing that isopropyl disolves titebond glue!

Maury

Pic. of the ends of the first planks above the garboard.  You can barely see the scores on the plug that guide me to the run of the planks.  Both planks are the same width at the ends so there is some camera-angle distortion. My over-lap is much smaller than 1/32".  I wonder if that will present a problem when I take it off the plug (not enough gluing surface?)  Any thoughts?

Maury

post-923-0-10250600-1408202599_thumb.jpg

Did I miss somthing, or are you building the hull without ribs?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob, Good eye.  David pointed out in the instructions that almost all of the ribs were left on the plug when he lifted the shell off the plug.  He therefore recommends that the planks be laid without ribs and then go back and form up the ribs separately and install them inside the finished shell.

Maury

Lokkks like an intersting build.  I think I will pull up a chair as well.  Boats like this can be both fun and challenging.  Everything has to fit just right or else it does not look good.  Are you going to stay natural or will you paint?

David B