Tools That Are a Waste.

BTW Danny, I forgot to give you the final answer to your question. This took a long time, I know, and all those smart things, charts and apps would have done a better and quicker job than me entering a couple numbers that you gave me B)

But I will survive without them.

post-246-0-94959000-1364687882_thumb.jpg

For those too young to remember, this 'smart thing' above was made by Texas Instruments eons ago and still works fine for me. It also allows you to program it (meaning that ones the basic formula is there, you can enter numbers up the gazoo and get instant return answers).

Just remember that one inch is officially 25.4 mm.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

(7+13/16)x25.4 mm is the answer.

Jay, that's not quite right - it should be (((7x16)+13)/16)x25.4 = 198.4375. Your answer came out as 31.75.

The above answer took me about 30 seconds to work out on a calculator - a quick glance at my home-made Conversion Chart (which hangs on the wall behind my bench) shows it as 198.44 - close enough tolerances - and took me 3.4 nanoseconds to find  :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Any tool that is purchased and not used!

The whole Metric/Imperial debate is funny. The martians were laughing all the way to Jupiter eating their fig newtons about that crash.

A bigger issue than Imperial /Metric is Chinese language versus English or Malian or Hindi or Turkish or Russian. Were all different it's a big world and it would be so boring if we all used the same language and measuring systems, there would be nothing to debate.

All this is better than pointing sticks at each other though.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Jay, that's not quite right - it should be (((7x16)+13)/16)x25.4 = 198.4375. Your answer came out as 31.75.

Dan, have another look at the picture I posted just before you said this. Besides, my little formula is simpler than yours because I added the 7 to the division of 13 by 16. Then the whole thing is multiplied by my favorite number 25.4. 

The one thing I still think is crazy that here we are with a world wide membership of model ship builders and we cannot change the darn system to metric. Let's not buy plans and drawings unless they are in mm. Let's buy wood from our supplier and call out the sized in mm.  or cm. Then we can all have a beer and smile.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

Hi Jay,

Dan, have another look at the picture I posted just before you said this. Besides, my little formula is simpler than yours because I added the 7 to the division of 13 by 16. Then the whole thing is multiplied by my favorite number 25.4.

It depends on the way you punch the numbers into the calculator. If you do it the exact way you wrote the formula you get 31.75. However, if you do it like this :  (13/16)+7x25.4  you get 198.4375, which is correct.

Your original formula was the same as (20/16)x25.4 .... or in other words 1.25x25.4. The fraction needs to be divided before the number of full inches is added.

I'll leave this alone now - the point I'm making is that Conversion Charts are NOT "Useless Tools" because they avoid errors like the above  (as long as you can find the chart ;)  ).

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thanks, Danny - I have to say that for most quick conversions, I use the quick reference tables as well - it takes me longer to dig out my calculator, think through what I want to do, and then plug it in than it does to look at the chart.

I work in both sets of measurement, depending upon what I am working on.  When my plans and instructions are in Imperial I tend to stick with that. It is also much more intuitive for me to think in terms of inches and feet than in terms of mm and m.  I grew up with the imperial system, and can visualize the dimensions much better than i can metric.  I do, however, use the metric system extensively in my work life (but that is another story).

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Enough already with the Imperial/Metric issue. What the heck does that have to do with "Tools" anyway? Besides, I don't know of a smart phone or computer that can't convert one into the other in seconds.

Vince P.

Vince, that is exactly my point. The question was 'What tools are a waste', and my answer was 'conversion charts' for the simple reason you just mentioned.

And my final point is to Dan is that 13/16 simply means 13 divided by 16 and in the formula i use a division comes before an addition. Hence 7 + 13/16 equals 7.8125.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

At least we don't have to deal with Whitworth anymore... (Unless you are into old British machinery) Here's a great example from Wikipedia:

British Morris and MG engines from 1923 to 1955 were built using metric threads but with bolt heads and nuts dimensioned for Whitworth spanners (wrenches) and sockets.[5] The background for this was that the engines were produced using machine tools of a previously French-owned company that was set up for metric production; for the average British motorist to be able to service his car, the bolt heads had to fit imperial-sized spanners.

Personally I'm lucky as a chemist as we were forced to learn both equally. Personally I use my TI85 or 92 which have conv function keys for all unit conversions.

I had a Scottish physical chem professor that was hard core English system he loved giving units in one unit and ask for the answer in another. Pressure was always a pain...torr, mmHg, Pa, PSI.... or energy J, BTU, C and c.

But as far as tools not to buy

Stay away from the Habor Freight 4 inch table saw. Don't even imagine that buying the extra carbide blade will matter. at 1/8 hp it will not cut wood without binding, burning, and just flat stopping the blade. It is hefty so don't let the mass fool you. I'd say it might make a good boat anchor but the cords too short.

Yea I think it is safe to say that insanity is over. Or at least i hope :)

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Are we back on subject?

Yes. :D

Cheers, Danny

Hi Bryan,

I know I bought this tool from Model Expo about 4-5 years ago. I don't see it listed in anybody's catalog now. Maybe it was discontinued. Sorry.

Vince P.

That seems to be an effective tool, Vince P.   But if you're going to praise a particular tool, it'd be helpful if you could mention its trade name, and maybe even give us a link to a site that sells it!

Anyway, reverting to rubbish tools ...

I've been looking at 4-inch circular saws.  The ones that cost under £100 ($150) all seem to be grossly underpowered and therefore rubbish).  I have cast an eye at the more costly ones (including the Byrnes one), but so far I haven't seen any that look inspiring.  Outside in my toolshed there's a combi set that does sawing (10-inch blade), planer/thicknessing down to 3mm, plus spindle-moulding/sanding and a few other things I haven't explored in the 15 years since I bought it for £1500 or thereabouts.  Do I need a 4-inch circular saw?

Brian

have a look on the model shipyard website : http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/

i have seen the tool Vince is using on there

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

I found it on the Model expo website via a search - shows as none in inventory so not sure if they can supply them any longer.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS107

It is also on the Modelshipyard website at

http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/product.asp?id=2048&pid=129

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Do I need a 4-inch circular saw?

Yes Brian, you do if you want to cut 0.5mm square timbers ;) - your 10" blade would totally destroy them.

Cheers, Danny

The "wood strip cutter with micrometer accuracy" sounds great but the #11 blade is mounted too high to prevent it from bending and following the grain of the wood.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Here is another one.  I bought the Harbor Freight equivalent of Micro-Mark’s small grinder with flex shaft.  The shaft hand piece became brittle and fell apart and the grinder was under powered; trying to grind anything would stop the motor.  

But I found that I had a 3/8” keyless chuck that fit the thread on the right end shaft, and that, plus a support at the far end made a great mast lathe.  So maybe it wasn’t such a waste after all.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Be very careful of any tool you buy from Harbor freight.  The tend to sell cheap import knockoffs of many tools.  From airbrushes to a foredom.  They do have good deals.  But know what you are getting first.

David B

I bought a plank bender from Model Expo that worked well, and could shape the planks more accurately than my wife's curling iron (which is what I use now).  But halfway through the first planking job the heating element melted the joint with the handle so that all I managed to do with it after that was burn my hand.

I do like that reeving tool, though.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I have to agree that the Loom-a-Line is useless, except as a door-stop! Another useless item is the Reeving Tool!. You can't even use it as a door-stop! I have found better ways to do the things that these were supposed to help making life easier. Thanks for the tips from you all--maybe I'll learn more now. Bill Quigley

I have to agree that the Loom-a-Line is useless, except as a door-stop! Another useless item is the Reeving Tool!. You can't even use it as a door-stop! I have found better ways to do the things that these were supposed to help making life easier. Thanks for the tips from you all--maybe I'll learn more now. Bill Quigley

I disagree about the reeving tool. It is one of the most useful tools I have ever purchased. Sure, there other ways to reeve deadeyes, but this makes it easier and more uniform.

Vince P.

I bought a plank bender from Model Expo that worked well, and could shape the planks more accurately than my wife's curling iron (which is what I use now).  But halfway through the first planking job the heating element melted the joint with the handle so that all I managed to do with it after that was burn my hand.

I do like that reeving tool, though.

Martin

Model Expo will replace that tool free of charge. It must just a defective one, because I think I have the same one and have used it many many times without a problem. Is it the one with the round head and comes with wood curve forms?

Vince P.

Might get some arguments here, but the "Chop It" tool from Micromark I find does not give a clean 90 degree cut. So, for cutting multiple identical cuts it was worthless. Gave it away.

That one looks to be the same as the one Harbor Freight sells.  I bought the HF one.  The biggest issue I've found is that the angles on the vise aren't dead on.  I spent about 30 minutes setting it to 0 degrees to get an honest cut. 

Just a note.. any power tool should be checked for squareness before using.  And then again during use.  I keep a protractor and some small drafting triangles handy.  I even check the blade on my scroll saw periodically during use to ensure a good 90 degrees from the table.  I failed to do that once and cut several frames out that had the cut not at 90 degrees. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What plank bender is it?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale