Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Hello Everyone, how's things going? Thanks to all for your comments and likes.

Well not a lot to report on, certainly not as much as I wanted to have done. I have the starboard side now complete with filler blocks, the initial filling has been done and one coat of primer (gesso). 

I am now waiting for things to dry then a little more filling and another coat of gesso then the planking can start.

I probably would have started planking now but looking at the pictures I decided another round of filling is not going to hurt and it is easy sanding compared to what I have just been through.

With another 2 - 3 hours yet to finish off the hull I will have about 45 hours into this part of the build. I would like to say I enjoyed every minute of it but then I would have a nose I could use for a main mast :o  :P post-20628-0-73525100-1466119908_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-87677900-1466119938_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-88167000-1466119971_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-83736200-1466119995_thumb.jpg

It's Thirsty Thursday.....be happy :dancetl6:

OH, Yes, and great work Don, looking very good.

It looks as though you are having more fun than me at the moment.

Getting fired up on mine very soon i hope.

Cheers Chris

Hey Chris; Good to hear from you. I've been missing your updates. I missed "thirsty Thursday" .....well next week I'll be there for "wet Wednesday". Thanks for dropping by

Thanks Dave, I am hoping it all works out good, a little more filling and sanding then let the planking begin. By the way, your AVS is looking awesome :)

Those dang pictures!  Always showing us what we don't want to see :P

Thanks for the update Don. Can't wait to see how things progress.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Looks really great Don.  Get that prep work done, and you'll have a great base on which to plank on.  Looking forward to seeing how this comes out, it's a cool subject!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks to everyone for stopping in and for your comments and likes. I finished fairing the hull to my satisfaction and have started the planking.

post-20628-0-40057500-1466453653_thumb.jpg

This picture is showing the little jig I used to mark the placement of the first plank, 1.5 mm above the top edge of bulkhead

post-20628-0-28175900-1466453698_thumb.jpg

The first two planks on either side need to be cut down from 5 mm to 4 mm, here I am doing that using my homemade jig and Proxon table saw.

post-20628-0-13934800-1466453726_thumb.jpg

The first plank being attached. I use a combination of ca glue and white glue (weldbond). I started at the stern and moved forward, I trim the plank to length and shape when I get to the bow I find I get better results doing it this way rather than off ship.

post-20628-0-73166900-1466453752_thumb.jpg

Here is the first plank completed. You will notice the port side front bulkhead is a little different, the original one broke off and joined the numerous other lost parts on my floor :angry: , so I made this one out of some scraps. The height isn't  a big deal as these all get taken off later, it is just needed to get the proper shape of the bow with the planks

post-20628-0-63704500-1466453769_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-43457300-1466453791_thumb.jpg

And here is how she looks as of this afternoon. The next four planks will be the full width throughout their length then after these the rest will need to be shaped. Unlike most ships the Trabaccolo's bow is bigger than the stern so it is a bit of a reversal from other builds I have done.

Well that's it for now, I'll see you all in about 8 or 10 planks. It's my now favourite time of day "nap time" :P  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Don - question from an ignorant beginner, how many teeth in that saw blade? Looks like a fairly low count. I was under the impression that cutting thin strips required a high tooth count. From that, I have been using a 230 count blade. It cuts OK but the teeth really get gunked up.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Can't tell you what blade Don uses, but this is an excellent read on what blades to use for what size of wood you are cutting from Jeff at Hobbymill who used to be the go-to source for milled wood for the US builders - http://www.hobbymillusa.com/byrnes-saw-operation.php

Looking really good Don. From what you're hinting or what I think I'm seeing you will have an interesting planking configuration into the bow. I look forward to seeing what it looks like.

Best, Ian

Edited by Seventynet

Hi Lawrence, Thanks for your comments. Yes that jig is a lot of help cutting strips, certainly makes things more accurate. I have use it a few times now and am very happy with it.

Hey Mike, the blade is a 80 tooth, unfortunately it is the finest blade Proxxon offers. It cuts thin strips fairly good as long as you have the proper hold downs in place. The blades that Jim Byrnes sells have a 1/2" hole whereas the Proxxon has a 10 mm hole. I have the ones from Jim but still have to make a bushing for them in order to use them. To clean the "gunk" in your blades use some spray on oven cleaner, I have been using that for years now and it works really good.

Thanks for stopping in Ian, nice work on your Catboat. The bow is fairly blunt so I have already added a joggle plank, which is partly my fault for not paying attention as to what I was doing but it is all turning out pretty good. Right now I have 8 strakes on the starboard and eleven on the port side done. I should have enough done for a small update soon. Good to hear you are back on the Vicky again

Thanks Dave. I swear by this method and have never had any issues with doing it this way.

Don,

In addition the link to Hobbymill on blades... here's a recent topic here relating to the Proxxon saw and blades.   Hope it helps also.  

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13565-blade-for-table-saw-proxxon-fet-for-planks/?hl=%2Bproxxon+%2Bsaw

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, Thanks for that link. I just ordered the adaptor from Micro mark, hopefully that works with the blades I have

Nice work on the planking, Don! I use the same technique (weld bond and CA glues)) for my planking. The CA is a "liquid clamp" which holds while the Weldbond cures.

Thanks Dave. I swear by this method and have never had any issues with doing it this way.

Do you use thin CA Don and Doc (Dave?) I am afraid I am too clumsy and often have CA glue ooze into the opening, making a nice dark spot on the wood. I have had better luck though, with thick CA.

I guess I haven't commented for a while on your model Don, but it really is coming along nicely!

Skip

Skip - these applicators have been a great help in applying CA. The thin stuff is a little hard to work with but medium works well. The CA stays usable for a week or so in the apllicator.

post-22218-0-25282900-1467559236.jpg

Also, my apologies Don for the reply about saw blades. I did not intend to get things off track. However I will say I learned something from them.

No problems Mike it ended up helping me out, but cost me $80.00(I found more ``must have`` items).

Skip I use mainly the medium and the little tubes( you can see in the pictures above) that attach to the bottle. They just slip on and last for a fairly long time, I just leave these on all the time and never put a cap on the bottle. The thin ca I only use to repair cracks or breaks the thick is used when I need a little more time before it sets.

Edited by donrobinson

but cost me $80.00(I found more ``must have`` items).

That never happens, does it? :P  You gotta love this hobby.....

Looks really great Don.  That lady has a lot of curves!  Love the unique subjects that MarisStella is offering.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

This is a very small update just to let you all know I am still working on her. The planking is still going on. I have, as usual, created problems for myself that I am paying for with each strake. The problem being that I am too smart to line off or measure, something like that road map in the glove box we never used (remember them?). Anyways after realising my error I am now paying for it and have since started to measure and line off. I am confidant that things will be alright only thing is leaving it natural is probably not going to happen.

In the pictures she only has the first sanding and scraping done and she has some minor gaps to deal with. 

post-20628-0-23776000-1467647859_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-84296200-1467648012_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-31687300-1467648335_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-03133000-1467648355_thumb.jpg

Nest up is a couple garboard strakes.

Have a Good One

That is some beautiful wood Don. It would be a shame if you weren't able to show it. Some very interesting hull lines as well.

Where do you see things going south?