Providence 1775 by lmagna - Artesania Latina - Continental sloop kit-bashed from colonial schooner Independence 1776 kit - First wooden POB ship build

Thank you Sam

I didn't even think anyone was looking in here anymore as it has been so long since I posted anything. 

I have been working on her believe it or not. I have been averaging about one or two planks a day and yesterday I finished the last plank and did a little design work on the keel and stem. I didn't make any updates as it really is pretty boring stuff and as this is my first attempt at "Proper" planking I thought I would just wait to post pictures until I have it done. That way I will just have to put up with being laughed at once rather than several times over the planking process.

I will be gone over the next couple of days but when I get back I will post pictures of my meager efforts, and give all interested a chance to have a good laugh, or a chance to loose their lunch! Consider this fair warning.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Thank you Sam

I didn't even think anyone was looking in here anymore as it has been so long since I posted anything. 

I have been working on her believe it or not. I have been averaging about one or two planks a day and yesterday I finished the last plank and did a little design work on the keel and stem. I didn't make any updates as it really is pretty boring stuff and as this is my first attempt at "Proper" planking I thought I would just wait to post pictures until I have it done. That way I will just have to put up with being laughed at once rather than several times over the planking process.

I will be gone over the next couple of days but when I get back I will post pictures of my meager efforts, and give all interested a chance to have a good laugh, or a chanal ce to loose their lunch! Consider this fair warning.

Hey - no knocking your self lou - have pride in your accomplishments every little bit of work we all do to our builds, is special and unique to us all.

I will never knock or laugh at anyones work  - I went through hell with the first planking on my wood build, but its just about keeping at it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm looking forward to seeing an update. Hey, don't get lost in the haze when you go outside. I usually work with my garage door open to enjoy the fresh air and natural light but not lately. I guess we clear up in a couple of days. I can't wait.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

1 hour ago, OrLiN said:

I don't laugh at other peoples projects.

There is always the first time.

I'll be back Friday so I should be able to get drunk enough to post pictures by Saturday.

Thanks Al

I am going camping so I hope the rain holds off for a few more days but I agree. I am beginning to feel like I am living in LA.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

am living in LA

Lou,

Man don't talk like that L.A. bad juju.

Looking forward to your posts.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Lou,

With the exception of a few Demi Gods on this site, we all have aspects of our builds we wish could/would be better. I imagine even the Build-Gods here have the same thoughts, they just dont show it.

I do understand about waiting a bit until you have something to show. "Hey Look! I put one more Plank/shroud/eye bolt on" But at the same time progress photos can help keep you out of trouble. When I decided to scratch build my masts I had all the woldings on and though, "Dang, how will the Boom (Gaff??) operate? So I treated them like a Mizzen Mast and took them all off except for the top one. Then realized only my Main Mast has a boom/gaff. I could have left the Fore Mast alone. Had I posted "boring" progress photos as well as my concern some sharper builder would have chimed in and saved me. My Enterprise will forever have one wolding on each mast......😱

So, post us some pictures man!!  😀

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

absolutely........can't think of it that way.  we have our experts....but we meager folk plank to the best of our abilities.   sometimes we get it right.....and sometimes we don't.  then you have the new comers that watch and learn.......it's all baby steps my friend :)    I'm not an expert........you should look at some of the hatchet jobs I've done in the past :rolleyes:  here's hoping you have blue skies to go camping.......and remember to clear the brush around your campfires ✌️

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I concur with all the aforementioned comments.  We are all our worst critic.  Every time I make a part or look back at previous old work I see a myriad of issues and say to myself, “Man I suck!” 🤪

But it I persevere and slowly my modeling gets better....I hope anyways. 😃 

So keep going and keep posting Lou, we are all happy to see progress. I only laugh at myself.   😂

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

And whats wrong with living in LA I ask you??

I have lived here all my life, if you can get past the Nanny Laws, the self absorbed, pretentious idiots and the traffic its a great place to live. 

We have the mountains....... oh, wait they are all on fire.

OK We have the beaches, well, the sewage spills keep the smart ones out of the water.

We have San Diego. Yes San Diego. Sigh...what was a two hour drive is now 4+ hours each way.

Ok, Ok Ill move. Its really not all that bad, I was only serious about the Nanny Laws and self absorbed people.

Back to your build, Lou. It looks like we are all on the same page, just keep at it and all will be well.

Sam

no matter where we live........the only place I'd rather be,  is in front of my table  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 8/22/2018 at 5:32 AM, John Allen said:

Man don't talk like that L.A. bad juju.

Back a little early. Mostly wife and kid issues. Wife god so cold today that she could not have fun, even next to a fairly large campfire. Plus the kids did not want to try and do another night alone, so packed it up and came home early. So ended our first night out alone in about 15 years. We will try again in a couple of years or so when the kids are a little older yet. Might make it a nice warm hotel as well.

John, when I said LA I meant Los Angeles Not Louisiana. In fact I have never been in Louisiana so can't say if I would like it or not. I have been to LA, in fact lived there for a couple of years as a child. To ma the air has always had something wrong with it. I told a friend of mine years ago when were were camping on a moonless night that even the stars looked yellow to me. He was so used to it that he thought I was nuts. Many days are much the same. The air almost has a texture to it!

This year is a MAJOR exception for us here in the PNW. Normally when our skies are overcast it is a white overcast made of clouds. The air between the clouds and the ground is clear unless it is foggy. When the sky's are clear they are blue! At night the stars are white, or red, or blue, not a dirty yellow color.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:40 PM, src said:

And whats wrong with living in LA I ask you??

See above Sam. As far as laws and people goes, we are pretty much the same here as you are. I did the drive to San Diego once and agree I was astounded that it was a continuous strip of people and cars. But then we are getting that way on the I-5 corridor as well. About 100 miles of almost unending traffic and people. But I can still go east or west, (Need a boat to go west) just ten or fifteen miles and not see a person for two straight days or more. Might see Sasquatch or two though. 

A good friend of mine just retired from the Westminster PD not long ago. He was halfway to Idaho before his retirement party was over! 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Welcome home Lou! Sorry to hear you had to cut your trip short, look on the bright side, you get more build time!!

Your right about the stars, white they are not.The air is better than it was, when you fly in to LAX there isnt that dirty brown carpet reaching into the canyons of the San Gabriel Mtns. We would leave in a heartbeat but my work is either here or Florida. I care neither for humidity or hurricanes.

Now, you have been back for what, 16 hours? where is the update?? 😀

Sam

14 hours ago, lmagna said:

the air has always had something wrong with it. I told a friend of mine years ago when were were camping on a moonless night that even the stars looked yellow to me. He was so used to it that he thought I was nuts. Many days are much the same. The air almost has a texture to it!

As someone in LA once said, "I get nervous breathing air I can't see."

Richard

6 hours ago, src said:

We would leave in a heartbeat but my work is either here or Florida. I care neither for humidity or hurricanes.

I must admit I agree with you on Florida Sam. Although I have never been there, (So I suppose I should not be so quick to judge) I have heard that it is hot, muggy and that the state bird is the  Mosquito! I have lived in the PNW so long that anything above 70F is a heat wave and anyone who lives in this area for any time will tel you that Heat + humity = DEATH!!!! 

2 hours ago, Altduck said:

"I get nervous breathing air I can't see."

:D I never have heard that one before Richard but I love it! Whoever said it would be right at home around here lately. It is almost as if we have a ground fog every day except it is smoke!

OK, it's time to quit stalling and post some pictures. be back soon.:o 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well here it is!

I will preface this with a few comments. My intention was to try and duplicate the method of planking used by so many people here on the forum to create so many beautiful hulls. I have done planking of sorts, years ago in my pre-internet scratch building RC days, but never in the way that it is explained here on MSW.

From the beginning of this build it has always been and still is my intent to paint the hull, both as an attempt at realism and because I intended to just single plank using kit wood. But I wanted to learn the procedure at least.

So that brings me to the Providence planking. Now that it is all done I am of mixed opinion. If I was to do it all over again, (And I may still do so) I am almost sure some of it would come out better as I would probably stress out less about technique and pay more attention to fit and finish. Some of the techniques expounded on this forum worked in some areas, at least partly, but not in others. As an example Chucks method of edge bending worked at first, but halfway down the hull I could not get enough bend in the planks to lay in place without cracking the wood even after getting a hotter heat gun instead of the hairdryer I had been using. I do not know if it is the wood I was using, the method, or the shape of the hull but I finally had to give up and go another route. I suppose this will have to be considered as a failure but in my defense I present the following picture:

image.png.23c74b52937cb3dfefed3b91e3570777.png   

If you look closely you can see that the planks on the lower part of the hull, instead of extending all of the way to the bow, come up and meet the upper planks. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). So here are my feeble results.

image.png.84acd9ca6559f508dc028b57e5b7e4f5.png

image.png.ee6665b2c7910a122f6467daa1e52aab.png

image.png.bce3304f0d4d748ed45f18f2b87086fe.png

image.png.7c98f2fa2f6afb40d1d4604003190f93.png

image.png.b1377e55ef1647d0171d6d91ccf8a54e.png

I also took a little time to see how the cut water, keel and other walnut pieces from the kit were going to fit and if they could even be used. So far it is looking promising.

image.png.b363a4d39b614714afb9bedbc5c78219.png

So that is about it for now. Next I will probably spend the next few days sanding things smooth and even, and shaping a little at the bow and stern and seeing where I need to use wood filler, but like I said before, at least it is fully covered and now is capable of floating for a proper Viking funeral if that becomes the next step. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Very nice work lou,   you have made a lovely job of her shape - it shows really well in the pictures,   I can see with a little bit of filler on the hull  she will paint up well,   you are doing a very nice job.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

It's looking pretty good Lou. I know just what you mean about the edge bending. There must be some trick that we haven't figured out yet. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

the (Florida) state bird is the  Mosquito!

You got that right Lou.  They're about the size of a WWII Navy Hellcat, fly in tight formation, and can dive bomb better than Navy Aces. Only thing worse is their "No-See-Em" stealth black bugs. I've been in Florida in July. <evil grin> 

You planking looks good, Lou.  That's similar to the way I did my two AL kits. 

Edited by Jack12477

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. Hopefully it is a work in progress and like the ugly duckling will emerge someday as a graceful, (Well kind of) small ship.

I had forgotten about the No-See-Em bugs Jack. I hear that they just drive people mad, animals too!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Quote: " Every time I make a part or look back at previous old work I see a myriad of issues and say to myself, “Man I suck!” "

I thought we all did that?  Your planking looks pretty good from here also.   Now stop beating yourself up. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice job Lou,

i think one of the reasons edge bending becomes too difficult is when the planking is thicker than 1/32”. I seem to remember Chuck saying that he typically uses stock that is about that thickness. Much thicker than that or more than 1/16” gets real difficult.  It’s better to spile then I believe. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

22 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

You got that right Lou.  They're about the size of a WWII Navy Hellcat, fly in tight formation, and can dive bomb better than Navy Aces. Only thing worse is their "No-See-Em" stealth black bugs. I've been in Florida in July. <evil grin> 

You planking looks good, Lou.  That's similar to the way I did my two AL kits. 

Believe it or not, mosquito's don't fly far from where they hatched...I think no more than about 500 feet if memory serves correctly. Maybe less. So whether in Florida or anywhere else, the secret to staying free of mosquito's is to keep any standing water from collecting around your abode. Besides pots, pans, or other obvious things that can collect and retain stagnant water, certain plants also serve as a breeding ground because of their propensity to collect standing water. Elephant Ear plants come to mind...very bad for breeding mosquito's.

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Now stop beating yourself up. 

As they say Mark, "The camera doesn't lie." But it is also true that it could have been worse and what I have so far is if nothing else functional. We will really see over the next couple of months.

Thanks

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 minutes ago, Dowmer said:

thicker than 1/32”

I suspect that that was at least part of the problem. The kit planking was 1.5 mm by 5 mm. I also think Chuck uses a higher grade of lumber than the stuff in this kit. I was still able to do it until the bend became too extreme. I can't help but wonder if I had managed the taper of the planks differently if I could have carried it through all of the way.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

18 minutes ago, CDW said:

I think no more than about 500 feet if memory serves correctly

I did not know that.

We have them here as well of course and when I have friends from out of state like my friend who used to live in the LA area of California where it is hot and dry, they almost always say the Mosquitoes are voracious! They hardly bother me at all. Maybe they just like an imported diet!

I do remember going camping a few months after we first got my older grandson. He was then about six months old and the Mosquitoes ate him alive! they seemed to get him everywhere except under his diaper. We ended up calling that camping trip off after one day also, but he still had the blisters for several days. Made us feel like lousy parents! For years we sprayed and wiped every inch of his body and clothes with bug stuff several times a day anytime we went camping. He is 15 now and they pretty much leave him alone these days.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey