HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

we will be celebrating Sjors 65th birthday

Where is that DON'T LIKE button !!!!!!!

I need it and I need it NOW !!!!!!!

I'm gonna be 38.......

So please followers of Mobbsie's build log, DON"T believe him .

Very nice rigging work my friend and I will help you with making good pictures !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Your Aggie is looking very impressive, Mobbsie!

Congratulations Sjors on his 21st birthday, and to you and  Christine as you celebrate 40 years of wedded bliss.

If the weather holds, make sure you take Sjors and Anja up over Hardknot Pass - from the coast side is best! :)

John

Nice to see an update after all the refurb work Mobbsie, she's looking quite splendiferous! Really nice job on the ratlines. At the rate you work, I expect you'll be completely finished by the time Sjors and Anja arrive.

Speaking of which, congrats on the significant milestones (damn spell checker tried to say "millstones" - maybe that was just the Aussie dictionary ;) ).

Noting all those celebrations, perhaps pictures aren't such a good idea..........

As for Sjors's age, it could be said that when he joined MSW he was a bit of an old woman. Since then he has aged considerably! :P :P :P

More beautiful rigging - a delight to see! Congratulations on 40 years! I heard that Sjors is celebrating the 36th anniversary of his 29th birthday.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Nice work, Mobbsie.    Congrats in advance on all the celebrating.   I won't even begin to try to sort out Sjors's age which apparently is somewhere between 18 and 81..???   :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

jeeze.......I guess we'll just have to flip Sjors over and count the rings  :D  :D     I wish you both well on your upcoming celebrations.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your comments and remarks on the build and for the congrats for our anniversary, also those who hit the like button, it's very much appreciated.

You have no idea what trouble you got me into regarding Sjors age, he really is very sensitive about it, but I suppose when you get to that age you are :piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

Popeye, if I turn Sjors over you can count his rings mate, I aint going there. :D  :D :D  

Sherry, 29 x 36 = 1044, you could be right. :rolleyes:

Grant, I have some old dresses he could use, from my younger days you understand, I enjoyed a bit of drag. B)

John, Hardknot Pass is most definitely on the agenda, I travel that road every time I go up there, it's almost a tradition now, I may have a look at Hardknot fort this time round, trouble is there's hardly any parking. For those of you who don't Hardknot Pass it's a notoriously steep road over the top of a mountain range, at some points it's a 1 in 3 climb and bends like you've never seen before, at points the road just disappears and all you can see is the sky. :o  :o

OK to get back on topic, having said that I didn't want to fit any backstays just yet, I have to make an amendment, when fitting the Mizzen Topmast and Topgallant stays the Topgallant mast was waving around like a whip areal so I've had to steady it up, that's now done so I can now continue with the Main and Foremast stays, when they are done I will post some more pics. 

Thanks again ladies and gents.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

It's update time again.

Been fairly busy on the rigging and it's not been without it's problems, which is to be expected.

Apart from the Back Stays, Breast ropes and the Jibboom Guy Pendants the standing rigging is done, I want to try and keep the Back Stays and Breast Ropes off for as long as possible to allow easier access inside for the running rigging. 

Following AEW's (Arthur) enquiry regarding the Mizzen and Main Topmast and Royal anchor points I decided to make a few changes, I undid the fixings and replaced them with block and tackle, I used hooks on the eyebolts with a single 3mm block with tail rope attached, the running end had a 3mm double block tied on, the tackle was tied off between the lower block and hook, it's much better, thanks Arthur.

Bowsprit is fitted along with the corresponding ropes, Boomkins are also on with brackets scratch built and fitted.

I'm going to get some photography lessens when you know who arrives so you'll have to put up with my efforts for now, sorry.

post-493-0-16284400-1403620822_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-14805900-1403620854_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-68024100-1403620884_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-24922300-1403620926_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-97944600-1403620944_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-61811300-1403620961_thumb.jpg

Before the change ( Topmasts & Royal Stays )               Half way through

post-493-0-74167900-1403620993_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-78949900-1403621016_thumb.jpg

The end result, better I think

post-493-0-08945400-1403621035_thumb.jpg

So that's it for now.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

sweet rigging Mobbsie  ;)   coming along quite nicely!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking fantastic Mobbsie. The re-work on the topmast and royal stays looks much better - well done! By the way, nice looking blocks ;)

And when you-know-who arrives, we expect nautical pictures from the Lake District.

Nice crisp work all around, Mobbsie.  1.5 years into the build and she is already most impressive.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Tony, your rigging skills are to be envied!!...... beautiful work !!..... your build is looking so good.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Guys,

Thank you all very much for your very kind comments and remarks, also to all who hit the like button, thank you. :)  :)

Sherry,  The reason I changed the tie off on the stays was due to a conversation with Arthur (AEW), he was absolutely right about not being able to adjust or tighten the stays if they were just tied off to the eyebolt, I used blocks to attain my end result but Arthur is looking into using thimbles. The added benefit is that I get to use some superb blocks which were supplied by Grant. :)  :) :)  

Grant,  Nautical pictures will be forthcoming, research is currently underway, hopefully not in the rain, if that's possible.!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D :D  

Augie,  1.5 years, is that all, seems a lot longer, when you consider that I used to build in just 3 - 4 months just shows old I'm getting. :angry:  :angry:

Frank,  You flatter me mate, if I follow your example and that of the many excellent modellers here I can only hope to not embarrass myself, I try. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Denis,  Difficult to see the ship at the moment mate, just poked myself in the eye with the Bowsprit so I may change my Avatar to something similar to yours, such fun. ;)  ;)

Sjors,   I challenge you to improve my photographic skills mate, you will have your work cut out, old dog and new tricks comes to mind, see you Friday mate. :)  :)

Thanks Again Guys

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

how in the heck did you do that?!?!   most folks endure the cutting method earlier in their builds...........I see that YOU like to impale yourself!  is that depth perception........or 3D?

new addendum in model ship safety:   always wear safety glasses........even around the ship! ;)  {that's not a wink......I got something in my eye}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Bowsprit is the some height as my eye line, I turned the ship around and the rest is history so they say, no damage to the Bowsprit but the air changed colour, funny how that happens init. :angry:  :angry: :angry:  ;)  B)  B)  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I'm surprised at you Mobbsie.  Last time I did that was with a main yard ---- now that's class!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

So now we are visiting one eye Mobbsie......

And I have to sit next to you in the car ?????

O dear......

See you on friday morning 7.00 AM sharp !!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Fortunately I was wearing my Optivisor nearly all the time when doing my rigging. It saved me from the same fate on a number of occasions!

Nice work there, Mobbsie.. or is now One-Eyed-Tony?????? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

optical aides are Ok........I wear reading glasses now,  so I've been safe.  I have an optivisor........just can't seem to get use to it.  can't recall a time earlier,  but I'm sure I've done something like that in my day.  feel good in knowing that if you were working on an earlier vessel.......the bow spirit would have been used as a battering ram ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Jeez your a sympathetic lot, you all nearly brought me to tears, oh hang on, that was the Bowsprit, :D  :D :D  :D  :D I love it. 

The eye's fine gents, no worries there. :)

Popeye,  I also wear reading glasses as well as distance glasses and I use an optiviser, but not on this occasion. Tried the cutting thing, all my ships carry my DNA.  B)  B), to answer your question mate, it's depth perception and old age. :(

John,  I used to like you, :D  :D  we don't mention football in this house anymore, we build them up just to knock them down again, that should be our National Sport. :angry:  :angry:

Mark,  smileys-3d-167968.png

Sjors,   My driving might improve with only one eye on the road mate, 07:30 it is then. :D  :D

Augie,  I bow to your greater misfortune mate, at least I went Bowsprit to eye and not eye to Main Yard. It would be interesting to know what the percentage of eye injuries are with this hobby though, I'm not asking the question. :P  :P:D  

Grant,  I have to wear it most of the time now but it's uncomfortable and so I remove it asap, too soon on this occasion. :(

Be Good Guys

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie,

Maybe we should stick to perception and get some of those 'parking beepers' to use around ourselves if confronted with sharp objects. Be carefull

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

time for that later........I think you have company :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: