HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Great progress Mobbsie. All looks very ship shape and "Bristol fashion"! Your snaking looks terrific - very precise. Great idea for determining the spacing too - regardless of who came up with it originally, sharing it here will help more people, which is what it's all about really. ;)

Keep up the great work mate. At this rate you'll be finished with this before I finish my Vic. :)

Mobbsie, your Aggie is looking awesome. Your rigging is so clean too.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

rigging looks great Mobbsie!    yepper!.....just the beginning!  ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Mobbsie,

At first I want to congratulate you for the great job you were doing. I am still building the same ship, but it does not look half as good, although I put a lot of effort and devotion into it. And I am not exaggerating, believe me!!

May I ask you another question? I have been busy lately and have not found the time to create my own building log yet, but it is still something I want to do.

My question is : There is an opening on the main deck directly after the oven towards the stern . According to plans the ladder should be on the bow direction and the gratings on the stern direction. But unfortunately (plan error?) there is a deck beam where the ladder should be. Keith Julier in his book solved the problem by cutting away that part of the beam. You solved it by exchanging the sides (hatchway, grating). Both ways seem reasonable to me, I just wonder what to do myself now...By the way the ropes on the ladders look great! Did you bend a brass wire for the supporting elements?

Keep up the great work and happy modelling!

Martin (Karinmutter)

Wow, wow, wow Mobbsie !

Great job on all that stuff !!!!!!!

By the time I get there I will send my Aggy a cross the North Sea and you can do it again  :D  :D  :D  :D

Just kidding !

I know that you will help me by the time I get there !

Maybe in June when we are visiting you again I'll take my Aggy with me and we can build together at her ?  :P

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the very kind words and for the likes, they really are very much appreciated.

Grant, Thanks mate but I still have a long journey ahead of me, don't forget you have approx. 19 years on me, I think after that time I would burn her.

Sherry, Thank you very much, fortunately it's a part of the build I enjoy but the fingers don't always do as their told so the air can change colour sometimes.

Patrick, From you mate that is a real compliment and very much appreciated.

Popeye, Thank you my friend, Yep the journey is just starting, there is still a long way to go.

Sjors, Thanks buddy, if your brave enough to bring your Aggy over go for it, but your gonna need a bigger set of luggage my friend.

Martin, Thank you for your kind words mate. I'm sure your Aggy looks great, we are always our own worst critics and that is as it should be, we don't learn or improve if we don't question what we are doing.

You should really start your build log my friend, it's a great source of information. Not only do you receive a lot of help but you may also be doing things that will be a benefit to other builders, it's a two way thing and it's great.

To answer your questions, the uprights for the lower deck ladders are just eyebolts, the uprights for the ladders to the upper gun deck and Poop deck are kit supplied. I moved the grating and ladder behind the oven because I didn't want to weaken the deck structure by cutting the beam, to me that seemed a bit drastic although I did consider it, I'm glad I didn't.

Hope that helps you to make your decision and please don't be afraid to ask if you have a problem or a question.

Thanks again guys.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie.  Just catching up on your Agamemnon and your work is simply stunning.  The precision and symmetry of your rigging is just amazing and sets a high standard for the rest of us to try and achieve.  Thanks for all your photos and tips.  Definitley a log to file away for future reference.

Patrick

Hi B.E.

Thanks for the good words mate and you are absolutely right, It's not you who's had the senior moment but me, it was Arthur ( AEW ) who made that post, thank you for putting me right, if only all mistakes were as easy to fix. :)  :)

I do want to thank you though for the reviews you did with the Proxxon tools, very thorough and informative. I am thinking of getting some new toys and they were a big help.

Be Good

mobbsie  

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hi Patrick,

That is praise indeed, thank you.

If I can emulate the work you are doing on your Victory I will be very happy indeed.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the very kind words and for the likes, they really are very much appreciated.

Grant, Thanks mate but I still have a long journey ahead of me, don't forget you have approx. 19 years on me, I think after that time I would burn her.

Sherry, Thank you very much, fortunately it's a part of the build I enjoy but the fingers don't always do as their told so the air can change colour sometimes.

Patrick, From you mate that is a real compliment and very much appreciated.

Popeye, Thank you my friend, Yep the journey is just starting, there is still a long way to go.

Sjors, Thanks buddy, if your brave enough to bring your Aggy over go for it, but your gonna need a bigger set of luggage my friend.

Martin, Thank you for your kind words mate. I'm sure your Aggy looks great, we are always our own worst critics and that is as it should be, we don't learn or improve if we don't question what we are doing.

You should really start your build log my friend, it's a great source of information. Not only do you receive a lot of help but you may also be doing things that will be a benefit to other builders, it's a two way thing and it's great.

To answer your questions, the uprights for the lower deck ladders are just eyebolts, the uprights for the ladders to the upper gun deck and Poop deck are kit supplied. I moved the grating and ladder behind the oven because I didn't want to weaken the deck structure by cutting the beam, to me that seemed a bit drastic although I did consider it, I'm glad I didn't.

Hope that helps you to make your decision and please don't be afraid to ask if you have a problem or a question.

Thanks again guys.

Be Good

mobbsie

Hello Mobbsie,

Thx for the quick answer. I will most likely do it "your way" and leave the deck beam as it is. I had the same feeling that it might somehow weaken the structure...

Have a nice day,

Martin 

Great work on the snaking and nice photos

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Mobbsie,

I'm brave enough to bring my Aggy with me.

And I need all ready a few suitcases to bring you all the stuff you need !

So 1 extra is not a problem ! :D

Snakes on a ship!  Incredibly nice.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautiful Mobbsie! I had never heard of snaking before, or seen it either, so this is a new one to me. Since I have no prior knowledge I can't say if yours is correct (but I am betting it is), I do however know for a fact that what you did is beautiful work. They symetry and eveness are very precise, I do so hope you are proud of your accomplishments.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

FIRST CLASS job Tony, she looks just great!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Wow, mobbsie.

I haven't checked in on your log in quite a bit and BAM, you have had a very busy shipyard.

I really like the contrast of your shroud to ratline colours. It really is quite strikingly beautiful and what makes it even more so is your attention to proportion of the 2 lines, as well as the contrasting colours.

Your work is crisp as a fresh picked apple and shows off some amazing rigging skills.

Your ratline spacing jig is simple yet elegant, I WILL be adding that one to my tool chest of ideas.

And on your snaking, I'm so glad you showed your first attempt and then the second. I am slowly learning that with every task you get  better the more times you do it. Your first snaking was fine and worth a brag, but the second time you really nailed the symmetry and spacing and made the 1st pale in comparison. It is good to be remindered that practice makes perfect.

Absolutely astounding work my friend. Your really giving Egg's and Bacon the detail she deserves. Nelson himself is probably looking down and smiling.

just keep that thing away from Samuel L. Jackson........He'll kill it!!!! :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your very kind comments and remarks, also for all whom hit the like button, it is really appreciated.

It's been a while since I last posted and progress has been very slow, whilst my other project has gathered a bit of pace but even that isn't going as quickly as I would have liked.

I do however have a bit of good news, I have had two of my builds accepted for display in our local Maritime Museum. They really just concentrate on local history so both builds fit in nicely.

They are the Bomb Vessel Granado which was build in Ipswich and then fitted out in Harwich, the other was the Thames Barge Edme, she was commissioned by the Malt Factory back in 1896 and build by a local yard in Harwich.

It's only a small museum, it's housed in a Lighthouse in old Harwich Town.

With regard to the progress on Aggy, the snaking is all complete and I have finished the Crowsfeet on all three masts. I have also redone the timberheads either side of the Bowsprit and fitted the seats of ease.

Pictures will follow soon.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Congratulations Mobbsie, officially reached the holy grail of 'museum quality'.   Great stuff.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Ahhhh, yes, Sir Mobbsie....has a nice ring to it....and I'm not even English!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Great news Mobbsie !

When we are visiting you in June, we want to go to that museum and see it in real !!!!!

I shall take pictures and then I can tell anybody who wants to hear it, that I know a modeller who displayed his models into a museum !!!!!!!!!

And the artist is still alive !!!!!!!!

Fantastic news!!!!!  I trust this honor comes with some sort of sash you can wear when parading about in public.

WELL DONE, MATE!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Congratulations Mobbsie. You have a achieved modeler's nirvana.  If don't get a sash, maybe a medal????  Very well done, Sir Mobbsie.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)