HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Congratulations Mobbsie - a real honour and very much deserved! Having seen your models "in the flesh", I can attest to the quality of their build. Of course, I can see through your cunning ruse - this is really about making more room in the house to display Aggy when she's finished isn't it?!!! ;)

Hay Mobbsie,

You should be very proud, Can you post any pix? I would love to see them.

All the best as always,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

congrats Mobbsie........few can boast.......many aspire.....to have their ship in such a display.  :)   very happy for you,  my friend! ;)    I'll look forward in seeing the recent update on your latest master piece!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow!!  what great news Tony, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, how sweet it is to have one's work displayed in a museum. I'm happy to hear that your talents were recognized . Good show mate!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Wow!!  what great news Tony, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, how sweet it is to have one's work displayed in a museum. I'm happy to hear that your talents were recognized . Good show mate!!!

Frank

Thank you Frank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you are my friend.......

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I love you too Sjors!!!!  :wub: Do they have a Dutch museum for yours??? ( of course when it's finished)

USRC "ALERT"

what??.........the museum??? :huh:            :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Congrats Mobbsie, that is quite an honor, and a well deserved one I must say!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Mobbsie,

Not much more to be said. To have your work displayed in any public forum is truly a testament to your skill at model making as well as your understanding of what is important in the history of your country.

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Hi Mobbsie...Lawrence recommended that I check out your site as I'm in the snaking phase of my Victory model and have all kinds of concerns.  So I did check out your snaking and it looks terrific.  I wonder which knot you used?  Caldercraft recommends a marling knot or an overhand knot.  My other concern is how does one keep the spacing even since a little too much tension on a kot will draw the main stay up to the preventer stay.  Anyway, real nice job you're doing and thanks for letting me look in.  Regards,

Jerry

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your very kind congrats and comments, they really are appreciated. I would like to reiterate that this is really a very small museum, I would say that in most cases it would probably fit into a double garage. I think they would have accepted a picture in a glass case to be honest.

Mort, Matti,  The museum doesn't open until the 1st May, I will get some pics then and post up.

I'm afraid a Knighthood is a little way off just yet, I'm more like a surf or squire which is a Knights servant, very lowly.

I apologise for not posting my latest pics sooner but I have been a little distracted, were still in the process of refurbing the kitchen and I have had a side project going on as well. I am getting a few new toys from Proxxon and was in dire need of some extra space. My admiral (Christine) has allowed me to make space in the loft to house them, so I have been clearing the loft and fitting a work bench, fitting the bench wasn't a problem but boy do we ever hoard a load of rubbish.

Jerry,  I hope the following pictures help you to work out the spacing for your snaking, the method I used was to start the first knot with a clove hitch, from then on I took a short piece of thread and tying a simple overhand knot around the Preventer Stay ensuring the snake line was inside the loop pulled tight at the desired spacing, using the gauge which I had made, on completion and being satisfied that the spacing was even and that there was no distortion I just put a minute spot of glue on the knot and when dry trimmed of the loose ends. Hope that helps mate.

Some progress pics

Main Stay, Gauge is attached to the stays

post-493-0-69701100-1396968418_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-12576700-1396968456_thumb.jpg

Loose ends still need to be trimmed off

post-493-0-41497700-1396968472_thumb.jpg

All trimmed and finished

post-493-0-24665900-1396968532_thumb.jpg

Trying to get the tension right on the Crowsfeet so the stays are not distorted

post-493-0-72822900-1396968645_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-54524200-1396968679_thumb.jpg

Completed Crowsfeet, I found it extremely difficult to eliminate distortion on the stays, this is the best I could manage.

post-493-0-75580200-1396968766_thumb.jpg

So that's it for now I'm afraid, progress has been slow and I'm currently working on the fore topmast and top gallant

I thank you again for your very kind words

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Wayne

Thanks mate, wood chippings and sawdust, don't ya just love it. Gotta seal of the trapdoor so it doesn't all go down below, if it does we all know what else a trapdoor is used for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(  :(  :( :(  

Toys should be dispatched tomorrow ( Wednesday) I hope, be with me late this week or early next week. :)  :) :)  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

I trust Rear Admiral Sjors is taking notes.  Beautiful work on the Crow's feet.

Good luck with the new toys.  There shall be no stopping you now!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Lovely work with the crows feet Mobbsie. I feel somewhat responsible for your "side project" ;) but not the slightest bit guilty! :)

Hope you have fun with the new toys and don't forget to post pics when they arrive.

Great crows feet and snaking, yes we must keep the admirals happy (a happy admiral is a happy shipyard) be it bathroom or kitchens, and being distracted by new toys is always allowed. 

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Hi Mobbsie...Thank you very much for your kindness in taking the time to demonstrate your snaking method.   I finished snaking the main stay and preventer today but after seeing your photos I'm going to rip it apart and start over.  One question:  did you use one piece of thread for each loop?   I really do appreciate you.  Many thanks again and best regards..

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

home improvements and work on your ship as well........you ARE a busy guy!!! ;)    the crows feet look great Mobbsie....if by distortion,  you mean that the crow's feet are pulling the stay upwards....then they are doing their job.   I believe their prime use was to help support the stay when the sails are in use.  there is also the added rigging tied to the stays to take into consideration.  wonderful job so far on the rigging.........very....very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Mobbsie: Congrats on the progress. I am somewhat jealous as Im still toiling away on the gunport lids on my Aggy. One question I have for you... are you planning to darken the ratlines or leave them in the colour in your pictures? Its a issue that Im going to have to decide on.. again.. congrats on the progress. I am planning to post some pics of my Aggy soon.. been busy with life these days so not a lot of progress...

Have a good one

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Tony your work is outstanding!! The crows feet and your snaking look just perfect. Better hurry up and finish your kitchen, then you'll be able to play with all your new toys when they get there :P :P take care mate!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Great looking crows feet, Mobbsie.  I'll have to bookmark yours and couple of other logs for the "crows feet standard of excellance".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank Gents for the good words, always appreciated and never taken for granted. :)  :)

Jerry, To answer your question, Yes, each tie was a single thread, gets a bit tedious but it's worth it I think.

Mike, I intend to leave them the colour they are, I like the contrast, besides that I cant take the chance of staining with dye, I know for sure it would go all over the deck, and you have to use natural thread as it's not a waxy as the black stuff.

TOYS ARE HERE.

Some Pics but all are still boxed.

The box has just been delivered

post-493-0-14752700-1397155643_thumb.jpg

Opened

post-493-0-63992000-1397155745_thumb.jpg

I got this one from Sjors ages ago

post-493-0-37983700-1397155804_thumb.jpg

Jig Saw

post-493-0-39153100-1397155855_thumb.jpg

Disc Sander

post-493-0-61451200-1397155928_thumb.jpg

Things have gone a little weird so another post is in order

be back soon

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie