HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Hi Guys,

Thank you all very much for the very kind words and your concerns, and of course the like buttons, I really do appreciate it.

John, great to see you again mate, you've been missed, thanks for the kind words buddy.

Kevin, You have been side tracked by a small plastic matter I believe, You'll soon catch up mate.

I do have a small update, the ratlines for the Fore Lower Mast are completed now, for a while it seemed 3 steps forward and 2 back with me ripping out completed rows, mainly because they looked like jungle vines rather than ratlines, more droop in them than a bloke on the booze for a week.

Some Pics

post-493-0-49131100-1392998662_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-98690900-1392998685_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-55800600-1392998711_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-69171300-1392998753_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-01592300-1392998783_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-07781900-1392998810_thumb.jpg

So that's a small stage completed now, next step is to make the Bowsprit and Jib Boom, with all the accompanying tackle, I want to have a go at making a slider for the Jib Boom which will be a first for me,  there are some very good ideas on site so as long as I don't have to do any welding I should be ok.

I have to practice with my micro wood chisel's I bought a week or so ago, with the 2 foot long handles and 18 inch blades I will have plenty to get hold of, my mistake of the year so-far, hopefully I will be able to work with them, if I cant then they didn't cost a lot so little lost.

OK guys that me done, your all up to date, most of you will be way ahead of me knowing what's going to happen but still, I need to find out for myself.

Be Good

Stay Warm / Cool, depending on your hemisphere.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

you mean a traveler........right?    sweet job with the ratlines Mobbsie......I'll be up to that soon enough  ;)   great!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It may start of as a Traveller Popeye but by the time I'm finished with it it's going to be a slider, your absolutely right mate, thanks for the good words.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

WOW, your rat lines look awesome! very straight and even, I wan't mine to look like that! Excellent job!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

One of these builds that the closer you look the more detail there is to see.. would you believe I've only just spotted the Pikes around the mast (at deck partners area) , what a beautiful detail.

Love this build Mobbsie

Sail 'er Easy,

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Mobbsie, when are you making a trip to Columbus Ohio? I will try to have a ship ready for you to rig when you arrive. I can't even come close to rigging that neat.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Wow Mobbsie,

You have taken my titel.....king of the ratlines  :D  :D  :D  :D

That black and white is really great !

I'm proud of you !!!!!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

Mobbsie,

Your ratlines are outstanding! Beautifully done mate.

If ever there was a modeller who under-estimated their own ability, it would be you my friend!!! I have every confidence that your traveller will turn out superbly.

Now, did you get that exercise in that we discussed the other night? ;)

Looks like your rats have moved in Mate. I like the black and white. I guess the old eyes are in good focus from the looks of her...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi Mobbsie,

Your ship is simply stunning.

I have this kit but it will be a while before I have the skills and experience to make a start on it.

I have printed out this entire build log for when I do start it. (just in case all the site content is lost again).
Who needs instructions when you have a build log like this.

THANK YOU.

Rod

Hi Guys,

Thank you all so very much for your very kind comments and remarks, also thanks everybody who hit the like button, I felt a little overwhelmed and extremely flattered. :)  :) :)  

Well it happened, my inexpensive and rather large chisels ( bargain of the month ) exploded on me at the first touch, I was all set up and ready to go, the lathe was turning nicely, I just presented the chisel to the dowel and bang, it shattered on me. :angry:  :angry: :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

What I thought was steel turned out to be cast iron, I don't feel as though I want to use them any more so they will be assigned to the scrap bin with a very big lessen learned. :huh:  :huh:

I was told " you get what you paid for", Grant you were absolutely right mate. ;)  ;)

They were Am-Tech, 8 Piece Wood Lathe Chisel Set, you have been warned. :angry:  :angry: :angry:  :angry:  

I do have a small update, in my last post I said I was going to make a Traveller, well I have had a go and for a first attempt I'm quite happy with it, it was fiddly and on occasion the room went a dark shade of blue. :D  :D

I took the pattern from Longridge, I also put a sheave  in the Jib-boom which to my surprise went without a hitch.

I have some pics of the Traveller.

post-493-0-80972600-1393247541_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-46270200-1393247577_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-02785200-1393247598_thumb.jpgpost-493-0-39559700-1393247617_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-40177000-1393247642_thumb.jpg

So that's that, the work on the Bowsprit continues and hopefully I will have an update on the finished item soon.

Thank you all once again for your very kind comments.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Sorry about the tools, Mobbsie.  Nice work on the little bits --- those can be maddening.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice Mobbsie, it seems to be the small things that make all the difference and the sheave and the traveller look great.  BTW - I'm trying not to look at your pictures of the ratlines (awesome as they are) as I know I'll not be able to reach your level of perfection  :D

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks for the good word Augie, Lessen well learned regarding the tools.

Jason, Thanks for your kind words mate, I really enjoy making the small stuff but they can be really frustrating but satisfying. If I didn't use an aid to do my Ratlines believe me they would be a nonsense. Using the clamps and wood strips really help. 

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Lovely work on the traveller and sheave Mobbsie. Sorry that I was right about the tools :(

I have a cure though! Go and treat yourself to some nice high quality tools to help you get over it. ;)

As my Dad always says, "the quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten". Smart fella, my Dad! :)

Hi Grant, Sherry

Thank you Sherry for your very kind comment, I do enjoy the small bits. This was a first for me, working with silver solder on really small parts but it was fun and it worked.

Grant, Thanks for the good words my friend.

My dad was the complete reverse mate, if he could get something worth £1.00 he would pay £5.00 for it, not very wise at all, I hate to admit it but more has rubbed off than I thought.

A certain friend of mine who shall remain nameless has taken care of the tools for me, bless him. He has got me a set of Proxxon chisels, very much to my surprise.

As I said mate the pattern for the Traveller was taken from Longridge, I don't think I'm too far of the mark.

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

You should put us all in touch with He Who Has No Name.  Apparently, he has very good taste.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looks nice Bro, sorry bout the chisels....Chinese probably oh well, new ones always around the corner...glad you got some, now back to work.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

those ratlines - look brilliant

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Mobbsie

It seems travelling comes quite easy to you!

I like it. :)

Cheers

Peter

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your very positive feedback, comments and likes, I really do appreciate them immensely.

Thought I had better post this before I watch England thrash Wales in the rugby 6 Nations.

OK an update is due and I do have one, the Bowsprit is made and fitted and Gammoning completed, Main and Preventer Stays are fitted as is the Foremast Stay and Preventer stay.

I made a start on the Snaking for the Foremast and completed it, then I ripped it all off again as the distance between the ties was too great, I have since redone it and am much happier with the Mk 2.

Next step is to do the Snaking on the Mainmast then the Crowsfeet on all three masts. 

Some pictures

Completed Bowsprit dry fitted

post-493-0-18790700-1394287706_thumb.jpg

Just checking for alignment

post-493-0-71123200-1394287779_thumb.jpg

Stays prior to fixing

post-493-0-08639300-1394287865_thumb.jpg

Main Stay and Preventer Stay fixed

post-493-0-14145100-1394287937_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-07086000-1394288008_thumb.jpg

Gammoning of the Bowsprit

post-493-0-05760700-1394288057_thumb.jpg

Foremast Stay and Preventer Stay fixed

post-493-0-83508400-1394288109_thumb.jpg

I will add some more directly showing the Snaking

mobbsie

mobbsie

OK now for part 2,

This is my first attempt at Snaking which was only good for practice as you will see.

No system used just the Mk 1 eyeball, with a spacing of 20mm on each stay or 10mm combined

post-493-0-25366900-1394288536_thumb.jpg

It's looking a little hairy

post-493-0-32664200-1394288630_thumb.jpg

All trimmed up, doesn't look too bad                                   This is the new Snaking, much better I think

post-493-0-81656600-1394288721_thumb.jpg      post-493-0-72024700-1394288885_thumb.jpg

Thanks to B.E. this is his method, I got to this spacing after some simple maths, 12mm on each Stay or 6mm combined

post-493-0-57338500-1394289053_thumb.jpg

So that's it, your all up to date now.

I will some further update soon I hope, if the kitchen refurb doesn't interfere too much.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie