popeye the sailor

Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - scratch build 1:33

742 posts in this topic

Hi Denis

The temporary jig that you fashioned out of the cardboard roll and eyelet was a stroke of genius.  It certainly seems to have made your life easier, because the nets really looked a treat.

Nicely done!

Cheers

Patrick

thanks for all the fine comments........and to all who hit the like button  :)    jigs and such are our way of dealing with the little nuances in our hobby........whether to better control the part that we're working on,  or to create parts that would be impossible to fashion by hand.    through my years here,  I've seen many unique and ingenious aides.....we still haven't lost our instincts........the art of making our own tools.   some can be used over and over.....while some are made out of necessity......I seem to fit the latter.   I do tend to save them,  hoping that another use can be found for them.   I did some painting yesterday.......very exciting ;)   good thing there were other parts to add or make......or I would have gone mad.

I have some form of an update........there would be more pictures,  but the camera wasn't cooperating,  being low on charge may have been the culprit.   in this photo,  one needs to look in the center........this part was very hard to get a good shot of.   I mentioned the idea I had using the half round jewelry pieces,  that I used on the Andrea Gail build.   they will make perfect shackles.   bad part is.......I only have three of them....I will have to get more.   the thread is run through a channel on one side,   threaded around the outside of the half loop,  and run through a channel on the other side.  when the net rigs are connected to them,  they will be closed together and seized.  the same will be done on the cone end of the net,  although the line attributed to it isn't there yet....but it will be soon.   this gives reason for the double block.   the line has been cut,  and the shackle half installed,  waiting for when the rig is added to it.

post-612-0-36910200-1487092684.jpg

that's it.....dangling in the air.   here are a couple of poor shots in the make shift paint booth.   I made up another jig to hold the bead string,  while it was painted........it didn't go so well.   no matter how one tries........you can never paint the dark side of the bead  ;)

post-612-0-67898100-1487092882.jpg

post-612-0-28010800-1487092895.jpg

while this was drying........the extra light issue was resolved.   the three lights,  I had made brackets for,  are now in place. 

post-612-0-27802800-1487093001.jpg

post-612-0-74911100-1487093024.jpg

one will light the net winch area........there is to be a larger spotlight that will light up the rest of the main deck area.   the other two were put in the aft section,  to light up that deck area.  almost time to begin fleshing that area out

Hi Popeye

Great job you have did on your chains and also the net along with the rest of your ships fishing gear. Glad to here that you are back on your feet again and able to return to your old ship yard again. Did that snow storm bother you very much or were you one of the lucky ones,                                                                                        ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

dadodude, mtaylor, Omega1234 and 1 other like this

thanks Pat and Lawrence........and to those who hit the like button.    things started out so well this week.......too bad it came to a screeching halt by Wednesday,   with me getting a stomach bug.   if anything came from it.......I hope I lost some weight  ;)   I did make it to Hobby Lobby in search of some more of those shackle looking thingies....too bad I forgot my glasses and couldn't read the packages.   it's a good thing the admiral was with me,  yet again...........she found some.   the ones I had are in antique or bronze.......the ones she found are like a chrome......or even a pearl color.   no matter.....I can paint one up to match.......small consolation for not having any at all  ;)   there might be a picture or two......I need to check the camera to see.....this being the first I've been at my computer,  since I got hit with the bug.

no Lawrence........we got hit with three bands of snow.......two little bands with the big one in the middle.   we were so lucky for the month of January,  until now.........February......28 days of hell.  add the way I've been feeling into the mix,  and it's living up to it's name in spades! 

Omega1234, mtaylor, JesseLee and 1 other like this

I did have two pictures in the camera.   in this application,  it's too bad there isn't a call for chrome silver.......they would have fit the bill nicely.   I'm sure I can use these......hide them in paint or something.   I think blackening would be hard,  as I'm sure that they are coated with something.

post-612-0-12951100-1487363368.jpg

post-612-0-87910100-1487363378.jpg

if I go back......I'll make sure I have my readers.   then I can do a more complete search  ;)

hexnut, canoe21, dadodude and 4 others like this

Hi Denis

I'm just catching up after a couple of days.  You're sick again??? Sorry to hear that and I hope those nasties stay well away from you from now on!

Stay well.

Cheers

Patrick

Denis, my wife took me to Hobby Lobby the other day. I went down a few of the jewelry making aisles and immediately thought of you and this build. There really are a lot of things made for something else that can be used for what we do if you put your imagination to it!

Jesse

hi all.......just a short note to let you know,  I'm still bobb'in in the wake.   what I thought was a stomach bug,  turned out to be that my lower G.I. got washed out by the antibiotics I took.  it hasn't been pleasant,  but I'm on my fourth day of pro biotics,  and slowly getting my house back in order.   thanks for the well wish Patrick,  and thanks to all who hit the like button.

thanks Jesse.......I hope something will benefit you.   I usually go in with an open mind.......something comes to it sooner or later.

Nasty stuff Denis. My Admiral had that and came down with a bad C.Diff infection that landed her in hospital for a week.  Keep on the probiotics for at least 2 months to be safe.

I think blackening would be hard,  as I'm sure that they are coated with something.

Denis you can change the color by heating them up they will turn just like the tempering chart straw to amber to dark purple to blue.

Michael

thanks for the good word gents.......it's been a couple of weeks since I've felt like doing anything.    "things" are starting to look up {not literally}.......today,  I've actually done some bead painting.  I'm hoping to get back to a steady head of steam {toot,  toot}.   

thanks Michael.......I never thought of that!   have to give that a try ;) 

Omega1234, cog, dadodude and 3 others like this

Popeye...I love your HobbyLobby finds....  I get things for my builds there all the time...great material to modify for model building fer sure.

Your build is looking very clean and spot on....coming to the end almost......:P

Rob

Hey Denis

I'm also glad to hear that you're almost germ-free!  Great to hear and I'm looking forward to you making more progress on Syborn and the other members of your fleet.

All the best.

Cheers

Patrick

thanks gents.....and those who hit the like button.   it was good to spend some quality time at the computer again..........even more to do a bit of tinkering :)    no real progress as of yet,  but I'm working on it.   after reading the suggestion Michael gave me,  I set up some of those shackles in my vise.........then I went out to get my propane torch.   sadly,  the bottle must have been low enough,  and the cold of winter robbed the rest of it..........the bottle was empty.   I'm shoot'in for a trip to Wal-Mart or some place to get a new bottle.........could've sworn I had one on hand.

I'll see what I can come up with today ;) 

OK..........I finally went out and bought a bottle of propane!   I have two nozzles........both of them look like they were made in the 50's.   one of them would not work at all....the other one isn't faring out to well either,  but it did work.   I think I should toss these and buy a new nozzle ;)    I had threaded a few of the 'shackles' on a pin,  and clamped it in the vise.

before.jpg.4da2ad4add4e3aae091926cf1bbad84f.jpg

then I put the heat to them........not a good idea to leave the heat on for too long.........or this happens.........

after.jpg.c543bcaa729bf76109c379fb72e9ffdf.jpg

Jack12477, dadodude, hexnut and 4 others like this

Believe in learning the hard way do you mate? - ouch  they looked pretty good too which makes it worse :(

cheers

Pat

cog, mtaylor, dadodude and 3 others like this

hello all you fine folk :)     been a short pause here....but hope to get moving on her again.   today I got to finish painting all the beads.

thanks Mark........oh yea.....I bought a couple of packages of them.   I want to go back to Hobby Lobby........with my reading glasses,  and hope I can find the antiqued ones.   if I thought this model would look good with the chrome ones,  I'd use them.....but I think the antique ones look better.  they have them also in copper and steel {the last time I bought them}.

thanks Pat........you gotta break a few eggs when experimenting.   I guarantee.......these were annealed! ;)  

thanks Tom........I have my good day and bad days.  I know now that if they glow red,  then I've gone too far ;)

anyway.........back to the beads.   before I got side tracked {which is very easy for me to do},  I had painted only part of the Yellow ones.   when I painted them with the primer,  for whatever reason {can was too cold......not shaken enough....}  they came out looking rough and oddly painted.   I left them that way........I felt it would add to the overall look of them when painted with the color coat.

I also allowed the ghosting,  which gives them a weathered look.   I did yellow ones........

58c9b66e49be9_1.jpg.69c9c5b0380b897cf34d4c0577318d7a.jpg

then some red ones.......

58c9b689a5304_2.jpg.d97a3b077f7d7c14090936f7a5fe8c22.jpg

...and just for giggles.......I did some white ones.......

58c9b6afd7485_3.jpg.3fd20ceb910bff3f47dfca23d5c8f318.jpg

they are all done in flats.   when I did the Cux 87,  I did them in yellow and white.   is there a rule out there concerning using three colors?   I know that the colors are used for identifying whose nets or traps belong to fishermen or companies.   I have some vents to make,  so I will let them dry.

58c9c01581c24_4.jpg.2db5f8a4781494bfa98feb679e9a5e85.jpg

mtaylor, cog, dadodude and 7 others like this

I am with John on that one denis; the only thing I think to really consider (which it appears you have) is that the colour combinations need to be high contrast so as to make them more easily visible on the sea surface.

cheers

pat