HMAT Supply by riverboat - FINISHED - Jotika/Caldercraft- 1/64th scale

Hi Frank just a query.Just above the cross jack on the foremast are 2 k's 5mm double blocks,they are the ones rigged to  the 2 j's or 5mm single blocks on the cross jack.plan sheet 6.Did you tie these to the mast after doing your bottom shrouds and how far up the mast did you attach them to.Thanks Frank.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Hi Ron ..... if you are referring to the ones that hoist the yard, yes I attached them after the shrouds were in place, the 2 k's went around the mast and came down thru the opening in the mast top( on top of the shrouds) Hope that was what you ment :)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Ron I'm sure 15mm will be the right distance for your deadeyes on the lower shrouds and 12 on the upper. I made s spacer out of a small pc of wood with nails thru it at the right width and distance between top and bottom deadeyes. I wish I had my camera , I'd send you a picture.

But its pretty simple , I'm sure you'll come up with the right way.

USRC "ALERT"

Thanks Frank,that sounds great,i'll try a shroud tomorrow or two.Lots of us want you to re-posess your camera.We hope you are fully recovered now.ron.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

looking forward in seeing you get back in the saddle....so to speak ;)     the admiral would like to get another camera.......I'm going to try and put in my two cents......for a few more bells and whistles.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Frank,  

Any more movies or pictures? :P :P :P

:cheers:

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

• 2 months later...

Well time for a little update, it's been awhile since I've posted here, due partly to my procrastination and partly because I can't see to well B)  B) , ........ anyhow I could get thru the anchors with out too much of a problem....... so here they are....... does anyone out there know if the anchor rings are supposed to have rope raped around them??... if so what's the best way to do them. Thanks

Frank

post-73-0-11857100-1375836473_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-89150900-1375836505_thumb.jpg

USRC "ALERT"

gee Frank........they look great!   they look weathered........the wood part came out especially well.  I'm not an expert Frank,  but I think they do....I believe it called wooling.   I'm going to do it on the Goth........dampen the thread with diluted white glue and wrap it aroung the ring evenly.......should be tacky enough to hold the thread in place as you do it.   that is the method I thought of,  perhaps someone else has something better.   glad to see your making some progress.......look forward in seeing more.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Frank, looking great!  Did you use some kind of weathering solution for the wood?  The anchor stocks came out very nice.

For the anchor puddening, I used the technique in the attached article on anchors.  Hope that helps.

Anchors.pdf

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Popeye..... sounds like the way to do them..... I'll give them a  try B)

USRC "ALERT"

Hey Mike....... the anchor wood was walnut, and I'm not a big fan of walnut, so I put some "Weather It" on them , then I put some white weathering powder on them, used some Q tips and rubbed most of it off,  then I just did the same with  a medium rust where rust would normally accumulate.  I was pleased that they came out as well as they did, especially the wood. Thanks for the pdf. it will be helpful. How are the twins doing ? Keep'n you up at nite?? :D  :D

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Thanks for the techniques - I like how they turned out.

Twins are doing very well, thanks for asking.  They are four months now, and not waking up too many times during the middle of the night.  Hopefully things get easier soon so that I can finish my Badger and move on to other builds.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Frank!!!!!!!!!!  Great to see you got some shipyard time in.    The anchors look superb all weathered and used looking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

dooough!  thanks Mike for the correct terminology of the anchor ring treatment.......what I described....goes around the mast!  so many new words....I can't keep them straight!  LOL!   you got twins......and your still building!?   gee.....I have two boys {6yrs apart}...and I had to stop for a while.  build while you can.......when they get mobile.......game over man! ;)

Frank........I made an error on the term for it..........listen to Mike.......puddening........I'm writing that down....... :blush:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

are you using something like this? 

post-612-0-23077900-1375869009_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Don't listen to him Frank, just do what you can when you can, cant be easy mate especially when you have to borrow your own camera. :D  :D

Lovely work on the anchors my friend, the anchor ring should be roped, it's quite easy when you get started.

Take care buddy

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hello Frank,

It's good to see back at your Supply again.

I must agree with the others. The anchors are looking great.

And just take tour time, we will (try to) wait patiently.

Skype is on next saturday with Mobbsie at 19:00 our time.

That will be around 10:00 am your time.

You are more then welcome to join.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Mark ...... yeah, finally getting back to doing something ,it's about time I get her finished up, you know you're

taking to long when your grand kids are saying " aren't you finished yet " :D

B.E.  .....     thanks for taking the time to look in, I'm glad you like the effect  I'm striving for.

Popeye .... No sweat on the terminology, I had no idea what they called it either, we both learned something :D ....... I didn't use the Lifecolor  weathering set, but I do use their paints, and I love them . They are great to work with. I have a couple other weathering sets of theirs and they're real good too. I used a product called "Weather It " and some white and rust weathering powders on the anchors. I'd like to get their wood weathering set, it looks like it might be pretty good.

Sjors  ......  Finally getting back into it Sjors, not much , but alittle..... at least you got a picture!!   :D  :D :D  

Tony ......   No more excuses for the camera, it's back!!..... now all I have to do is use it :D ... Thanks for the heads up on the anchors.

I'll try and catch you guys on Sat. (Skype).

Anja .....     thank you for your kind comments, ( psssst... don't tell Sjors this but, they are only exceeded by your gracious charm and good looks !! ;)  ;)  ;)  ;) )

Frank 

Edited by riverboat

USRC "ALERT"

Welcome back to the bench Frank.  Anchors look first rate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

just another little update on the puddening of the anchor rings......... the rope I used started out a nice tan , but when I put a drop of cyno on it to keep it in place, it turned the color of the rope real dark, so I had to do a little coloring on them. hope they look passable !! I decided to redo the catheads, so before I add the rope to the anchors I want to work on those first.

post-73-0-92628900-1376366359_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-47525200-1376366365_thumb.jpg

Edited by riverboat

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank,

Even when it is changing colour it doesn't matter .

The anchors are looking old, so when the rope is darker, that's also looks old then…..

Keep on going my friend !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sjors:..........  you're right, they should be darker...... must be my eyes B)

Arthur:......... thanks for look'n in, glad you like the look!!

Wayne: ......  the hardest part about weathering is doing it :D  :D .... thanks for your comments...is diner still on???

USRC "ALERT"

Howdy Frank!

Just getting caught up a bit - good to see you back at it , and a great comeback at that! Those anchors look incredibly well done!  The weathering is outstanding.   You are a brave brave (and talented) individual!!

KUDOS!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull