Honda RC166 Grand Prix Racer by CDW - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/12

CDW

The other method I just thought you may wish to try, if the “chain” is able to be well supported in the frame, use a straight edge and repeatedly score with your hobby knife (alongside the length of the chain) across the tabs holding the links to the fret. A few passes with light pressure should eventually pop the links free.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

You want the flat tipped ones, the pointy ones will not take the strain of trying to close the clips...

That's why the jewelry set is the exact set for this type of work, the flats are for closing those miniature chain links in fine jewelry...

There is another way of doing this, canopy glue... dries clear and reduces so it leaves no lumps, (ultra thin) and is designed for holding PE.....

The chain isn't going to take a strain at all, and makes connecting it on the bike easy peasy...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just had a thought.....

If I were to tackle that chain assembly, I'd have a go at making a tool to press the links together.

I'd find a brass pin from a household electrical plug, file one end to an appropriate shape and micro drill two holes spaced for the chain pins.

As long as the holes are slightly bigger than the pins, it doesn't have to be 'rocket science' accurate.

And there you have your own press to push the links together without bending them.

The tweezers I highlighted are hardened, needle sharp and strong.

28 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Now, you need to place that chain into warm grease and lubricate it. I still remember the screams of my mother, when my brother and I were using her pans to grease the chains of our mopeds, on the kitchen stove. 🙂

Yves

All the things we put our parents through when we were kids come back to us with our own kids. I came home one day to find live fish in my swimming pool. My son thought it would be great to be able to go fishing in our back yard. 🤣

A bit late to take a bit off your chain burden, but yesterday I found this set of 3Dprinted chains for the Honda, made by Falcon Scale Models. Never heard about that company before, but will consider this, if I fail with my PE chain.

Falcon Scale Models FSM22: Chain set 1/12 scale - Honda RC166 GP Racer 250cc - for Tamiya references TAM14113 and TAM14127 (ref. FSM22) | SpotModel

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

21 minutes ago, DocRob said:

A bit late to take a bit off your chain burden, but yesterday I found this set of 3Dprinted chains for the Honda, made by Falcon Scale Models. Never heard about that company before, but will consider this, if I fail with my PE chain.

Falcon Scale Models FSM22: Chain set 1/12 scale - Honda RC166 GP Racer 250cc - for Tamiya references TAM14113 and TAM14127 (ref. FSM22) | SpotModel

Cheers Rob

That's a much more viable option for extra detail. Price is right, too.

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Never heard about that company before, but will consider this, if I fail with my PE chain.

Cheers Rob

Rob

The primary weakness with the Tamiya photo etch chain are the problems associated with cutting the links from the photo etch fret after the chain is assembled. Even careful cutting loosens the holding power of the "clips" that attach to the pins. Tamiya recommends gluing each pin/clip contact point with a thread locker glue (CA is what I used). But then you are left with rough spots that need filing down and smoothed out where the links have been cut from the frets. I am not going to attempt smoothing them out. I am certain it will cause the chain to fall apart in various places due to the stress from filing. Too fragile. 

In retrospect, that resin printed chain looks like a charm. If I had it all to do over again I would buy the resin printed parts but since you already have the photo etch set, give it a try. You may be more successful than I and figure out a better way of handling the issues I described.

I will try the PE variant with my build first. Maybe it's an option to bend the PE-fret sharply with a bending tool along the contact points and flatten it again. This could weak the PE material a bit.

Cheers Rob 

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

CDW, all I can say is: same here. Had the same problem with my Bianchi bike. Fortunately the acetone worked and I managed to get the spoke wheel finished. Hang in there; there is a finish to all this effort.

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

The drive chain saga continues: after all the bragging I did about how well Tamiya engineered the chain building jig, come to find out the chain is too short. 🤥

All is not lost, there are more links, rollers, and pins included. I can measure the distance between the axle location on the swingarm and the hub, multiply that times 2 and I should be long enough by adding those links to the chain. I'm debating whether to throw in the towel on the chain and just use the kit chain and sprockets which are molded as a single unit (the correct length). I've about had enough Tom-foolery with this chain.

DSCN3292.JPG

DSCN3293.JPG

May I suggest you trial fit the rear suspension units.

The combined geometry between sprockets and swing arm pivot varies in operation.

Looking at your photo, the wheel appears to be at its upper limit of travel.

With suspension attached, the wheel should be relatively lower and due to the geometry should remove some of the slack.

@shipman: I did check fit through limits of travel of the swingarm, but it's a matter of the chain being too short. I also laid the chain about the circumference of the molded chain piece and found it too short there as well. One way or the other, I will have a chain on the bike by tomorrow. 😄

I'm working to add a few links as I type this. From here on out, it shall be 3D printed chains for me. No more of these.

CDW, I feel you pain

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

Well done. I am facing the same problem with my Bianchi. Mine is elastic but I had to break it to put in place.  Now I am going to face splicing it back in the drive. Your bike is looking great.   

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

4 hours ago, CDW said:

The more I fiddled with adding links to the chain, existing links began to fall apart one by one. Became so hassle-iferous, I resorted to the molded chain and sprockets. Moving on.

Yep it seemed to be a bit on the too fiddly side watching you try to get it right... WAY too much work... I think I would have ditched the idea of closing the clips and used Gators Grip to glue them on....

Probably stood a better chance of staying together that way....

Lesson learned I suppose, but one of many in our modeling careers though, the upper limit on photoetch....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

That's some eye candy !  I see an airborne rolling pin heading for your skull if the Admiral sees it. 😉😉😉😉😊😊😊😊😇😇😇😇