Honda RC166 Grand Prix Racer by CDW - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/12

CDW

You could always  make the fem  biker  and keep her  in your  modeling desk  -  just get her out when the admiral  aint looking....☺️

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

15 hours ago, CDW said:

I'm thinking about buying this 1:12 rider for Honda. Let me know what you think. Looks fast just standing still. 😁

Nice gal, but I wouldn't add her. Instead there is a Mike Hailwood resin figure out there from the Greek company GF Models. This also show, how small the bike really is and how the driver would have to fold himself in. I couldn't get one until now, but seriously consider it for my build. 

gf-12-009-_honda_rc_166_-_162_tamiya.jpg (960×720) (gf-models.eu)

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Nice gal, but I wouldn't add her. Instead there is a Mike Hailwood resin figure out there from the Greek company GF Models. This also show, how small the bike really is and how the driver would have to fold himself in. I couldn't get one until now, but seriously consider it for my build. 

gf-12-009-_honda_rc_166_-_162_tamiya.jpg (960×720) (gf-models.eu)

Cheers Rob

The scale of that figure against the bike really does illustrate the size of it, and it's tiny.

I keep thinking that at one time there were some bike rider and mechanic figures from Tamiya in this scale but I don't see them anywhere now. I guess long out of production, or perhaps I am thinking of formula one figures.

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Little by little, it’s getting there. I am thinking I may pose the model with the cowling removed. It covers up too much.

I agree Craig, that looks too good to be hidden, but then it would be shame to not have the cowling there! Dilemma time!  Is it possible to have a half and half display? Cowling one side, detail on the other. 

6 hours ago, CDW said:

I hate to admit it, but this project has me now eyeing other 1:12 scale Tamiya motorcycle kits. The only other one I have built and on my shelf now is the Kawasaki Ninja I built here a couple of years ago. A stable of racing bikes sitting side by side would look cool.

I only built one bike so far, the Tamiya Ducati Panigale and it may tease you. It's an easy build, but painting is the challenge. I loved to replicate all the different metals, modern bikes are made of. 
This build was so much fun, that more bikes will follow, the Honda you are building is on the schedule as well as a Honda Dax with a very uncommon livery.

Cheers Rob

P1160078.JPG.d423384aeb2d77060bea7f14fd7e46a3.JPG

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

On 5/6/2023 at 4:11 AM, AJohnson said:

I agree Craig, that looks too good to be hidden, but then it would be shame to not have the cowling there! Dilemma time!  Is it possible to have a half and half display? Cowling one side, detail on the other. 

Decided I will make a stand for the cowling and display it right along side the finished bike.

On 5/4/2023 at 3:22 PM, CDW said:

I'm thinking about buying this 1:12 rider for Honda. Let me know what you think. Looks fast just standing still. 😁

Legend 150mm 1/12 "Need for Speed" Girl in Red Leather Suit on Motorcycle LF1505 | eBay

Now that is downright appealing.... makes a sexy looking bike even sexier... (or, is it the other way around) {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

5 hours ago, CDW said:

Doing a very good job for his first boat painting project.

Some models are bigger than others.....

Good looking paint job...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 5/4/2023 at 4:47 PM, Jack12477 said:

That's some eye candy !  I see an airborne rolling pin heading for your skull if the Admiral sees it. 😉😉😉😉😊😊😊😊😇😇😇😇

On 5/4/2023 at 5:09 PM, CDW said:

There would be nowhere to hide.

The only response would be "Thinking of you Babe!"  (then duck)

Quote:

Life has been getting in the way of modeling lately but I've tried to do a little each day, be it ever so small sometimes. Added the tach mount and tachometer, painted and then added the front fender. Small parts and fiddly, but it's all good. Not pictured is the fairing and attachments which are painted in silver lacquer to match the front fender. The fuel tank will be red lacquer. Decals will trim out the tank and fairing assembly.

DSCN3296.JPG

DSCN3297.JPG

3 hours ago, AJohnson said:

That is looking so clean Craig, the shine off the engine is just like a real metal block, and the frame just looks like all the full size black powder coated ones in my Dad's garage! :imNotWorthy:

Thanks Andrew. Sometime in the future, I want to build a grunge bike or two. I think they call them "bobbers" nowadays. I have some Harley Davidsons, BMW's, and others that are candidates. 

If it's a street bike, you usually don't see much grunge on one... They don't get the weather that cars do...

Dirt bikes can get pretty grungy and dinged up though... And I've never seen a motorcycle in a wrecking yard either, Motorcycles don't die, they just fade away...

Quote:

2 hours ago, shipman said:

Hi Craig.

What is your idea of a 'grunge' bike?

Bobbers have a high degree of respectability in the Custom community.

Perhaps you mean a 'Rat' bike?.... deliberate designed-in 'rot'.

Yes, a Rat Bike is a more appropriate term. That's what I have in mind. Something that looks like it came out of the Mad Max movie.

My dad was born in 1913. He told me when he was growing up that guys his age like to build "skeeters". That's what they called hot rod Model T Fords back then. 

800px-StateLibQld_1_110544_Stripped_down_Model_T_Ford_ca._1928.jpg

Edited by CDW

Those are two classics, a late 30's flathead and an early 40's BMW....

Nice bikes....

Quote:

Well the Flathead in the pic is a custom hardtail bobber... best I can tell aside from the '36 or so flathead engine it is a mid 40's WLA hardtail frame, the forks are probably original to the frame, the oil tank is early 50's as well as the fuel tank... Completely custom 2n1 exhaust...

Whoever built it did a nice job, Nice job...

Definitely a late 50's throwback to an earlier time.... I wouldn't mind having one in my garage... 

Quote:

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Well the Flathead in the pic is a custom hardtail bobber... best I can tell aside from the '36 or so flathead engine it is a mid 40's WLA hardtail frame, the forks are probably original to the frame, the oil tank is early 50's as well as the fuel tank... Completely custom 2n1 exhaust...

Whoever built it did a nice job, Nice job...

Definitely a late 50's throwback to an earlier time.... I wouldn't mind having one in my garage... 

It breaks my heart to know I could have bought several of the Harley 45 trikes when our city auctioned off their surplus stuff back in the early 70's. They went at auction for prices between $300 and $500 back then. My brother bought one of the shovelhead police bikes with the suicide shift for $500 but at the time neither of us thought we wanted or needed a 45 trike. Sheesh I was DUMB. When my brother tore down his shovelhead to rebuild it, found one cylinder/piston .030 over, and the other .060 over. The city mechanics were goofballs. It was a real nice street bike when he finished with it but learning to ride with that shifter was a real pain. Takes a lot of coordination and muscle memory to handle the clutch with one foot and the rear brake with the other and not fall over at a traffic light or stop sign. There's a reason they called it a suicide shift.

Oh by the way, those 45 trikes were used by the meter maid brigade, issuing tickets to illegally parked vehicles downtown. Younger people may not know what the heck we're talking about saying, "meter maids". 

1959_red_harley_davidson_servi___car_45_ci_trike_police_metermaid_1_lgw.jpg

Edited by CDW

Yep the Harley Servi-car that's a '64 model, you can tell by the large steel box, Hydra-Glide forks, front drum brakes and electric starter, the first electric start Harley... (one year before the Electra Glide)

You can still get a project Servi-car trike for around $5,000 or so if you like rebuilding that is... (complete in parts)

Built from '32 to '74, $500.00 was a steal... 

Quote: