Honda RC166 Grand Prix Racer by CDW - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/12

CDW

I did  that the first few  tries  with  full size  wheels, takes a while  to  get the sequence  correct.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The custom wire wheel detail set is sold separately by Tamiya at a cost I cannot recall. At the present time, everywhere I've checked are out of stock for this set. Now that I've arrived at the end of my wheel set construction, it was fortunate that I did not lose any of the small pieces such as the nipple parts pictured here. Each wheel has 36 spokes and each spoke requires a nipple, a total of 72 of these almost microscopic pieces needed to complete the assembly. After I got all the way to the end, I found that Tamiya included 1 extra nipple part either by accident or as an extra in case of loss. Loss is highly likely as a part can go flying off the tips of your tweezers like you were playing tiddly winks. If you had carpet flooring, forget about it. You'll never find it. My beef is that even though we pay a premium price for sets like this, they can't even supply an extra half dozen or so in case of loss. It's almost shameful IMO.

nipples.jpg

These spoked wheels look the part, CDW. Thanks for the warning about the spoke nipple count. I have no carpet in my cave, but don't want to go hunting for these tiny buggers. I may wear an  apron, like jewelers do.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

These spoked wheels look the part, CDW. Thanks for the warning about the spoke nipple count. I have no carpet in my cave, but don't want to go hunting for these tiny buggers. I may wear an  apron, like jewelers do.

Cheers Rob

It's going to be interesting and tedious building the chain, link by link. Those pins are even smaller than the wheel parts. I hope the count is right.

Coming along nicely.

One observation ... the various cables and wiring.

The tube Tamiya provide is way over scale in most areas.

My suggestion would be to find some fine electrical insulated wire from a phone line/computer wotsits in suitable colours.

Or use wire or solder (painted).

4 hours ago, shipman said:

Coming along nicely.

One observation ... the various cables and wiring.

The tube Tamiya provide is way over scale in most areas.

My suggestion would be to find some fine electrical insulated wire from a phone line/computer wotsits in suitable colours.

Or use wire or solder (painted).

Agree 100%

What makes the tubing useful is to snip off all but about 2mm at each connection point and use that short section as a connection (like a ferrule) for lead wire or other more scale diameter wire. I have a large selection of lead wire in .1mm graduated diameters to use for detailing. That's my intent here. As you said, old telephone wire often has a more scale appearance as well. 

2 hours ago, shipman said:

CDW, that 'ferule' idea is brilliant and new to me.

Alternately, the junctions could be micro-drilled to take the replacement wires; a little more labor there, but ultimately more secure and authentic.

Looking forward to more results of your work.

My thought was to improvise a ferule that would look like a spark plug boot where they attach to each plug and coil. And yes, micro drill will be perfect for the attachment of clutch, brake and throttle cables. My ignition wires are painted .5mm lead wire. They are hard to see but are attached to the number 1 and 6 cylinders now which are energized by the forward coil. 

DSCN3286.JPG

DSCN3287.JPG

DSCN3288.JPG

Next up the pins are placed inside each roller. You will note the pins have a specific shape on each end and can only slide into the rollers in one direction. A head on the end of each pin holds each link in place.

IMG_5331.thumb.jpeg.0627fbdb30a3a6a55cdc3d69899c96f7.jpeg
IMG_5332.jpeg.78e8f3a5d86dca24ef479a4d0d9fd31f.jpeg

IMG_5333.jpeg.9c02b0f23c00546fde3a74e1dd2d4edf.jpeg

After all pins are in place, a plastic molded cap is put in place that hold the pins in position.

IMG_5334.thumb.jpeg.dd3411c9bc1d2416fff30b4d0aea6be4.jpeg

IMG_5335.thumb.jpeg.56d83732e83dcf9e27451fc1475958de.jpeg

The jig is then flipped over so the bottom cap of the jig can be removed, exposing the opposite side of the roller pins.

IMG_5336.thumb.jpeg.92f138e1f50dc8520d8984d4d57d2738.jpeg

IMG_5337.thumb.jpeg.95b2b869d6cae24abcd2ca02a9fccea8.jpeg

After seeing the way Tamiya engineers designed the tools to assemble this small delicate chain, you and I both will agree they are genius.

A photo etch plate of links are placed over the roller pins exposed in the preceding steps. Additional smaller sections of chain links are provided, shaped like “c” clips to snap in place over the links and pins that lock it all together. Two plastic tools are provided to hold these small sections in place while they are pulled down, locking them into position. Very ingenious and well engineered.

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

IMG_5340.jpeg

IMG_5341.jpeg

I remember building a 1:8 Honda race bike back in 1974.

The chain for that was all individual plastic links and rollers which had to be glued together.

My results were sadly predictable!

As with all race bikes, each track needed different gearing, requiring a range of sprockets at the gearbox and rear wheel.

Individual riders preferred their own set-up too.

Then there were multi jets in each of the 6 carbs, requiring setting up for varying atmospheric conditions, which these engines were ultra sensitive to; as were spark plugs.

Honda-Engine.jpg.aba15e297d1a3c43f9dae870a1df5525.jpg

Often the quickest way was a complete engine swap.

The real jewel from that period was half the capacity.... a 125cc 5 cylinder!_MG_9455.jpg.08b8b3bf6cf295284758d1b72159dcbd.jpg

Edited by shipman

Next steps with the chain construction involve cutting the links from the photo etch fret. Since the fret is stainless steel rather than brass, it's harder to cut. I typically use a scalpel blade for this but I found it takes too much pressure to cut through, therefore bending (slightly) the links out of shape. As the fit between the links and the pins is so precise and small, Tamiya recommends "pinching" each "c" clip together to tighten-retighten the fit to pin after cutting. I found this to be beyond my capability with the tools I have, much too small for any forceps I own. Next I am going to try cutting the links from the fret using a micro abrasion wheel on my dremel. Hopefully this will prevent the distortion of the c clips and negate the need to pinch them. If that doesn't work, I'm going to need to find a much smaller set of forceps to maybe even tweezers. I could see this task ruining a set of precision tweezers in the process as the tips of tweezers are not generally used as a pinching type of tool. 

20 hours ago, shipman said:

I remember building a 1:8 Honda race bike back in 1974.

The chain for that was all individual plastic links and rollers which had to be glued together.

My results were sadly predictable!

As with all race bikes, each track needed different gearing, requiring a range of sprockets at the gearbox and rear wheel.

Individual riders preferred their own set-up too.

Then there were multi jets in each of the 6 carbs, requiring setting up for varying atmospheric conditions, which these engines were ultra sensitive to; as were spark plugs.

Honda-Engine.jpg.aba15e297d1a3c43f9dae870a1df5525.jpg

Often the quickest way was a complete engine swap.

The real jewel from that period was half the capacity.... a 125cc 5 cylinder!_MG_9455.jpg.08b8b3bf6cf295284758d1b72159dcbd.jpg

It's odd seeing a racing engine like that in the first photo just lying in the grass. Would that be a maintenance photo taken during the course of a race? 

Great photos!

Would have loved hearing that 5 cylinder 125cc engine rev up.

Yep, those were the 'GLORY' days when race paddocks were basically a field.

No motor homes, teams living in tents and utility vans.

Most riders survived on 'start money' and a private sponsor.

The envy was palpable, only the 'works' riders had contracts. And there were only 10-12 of them at best.

Remember, they were all air cooled, double overhead camshaft, four valves per cylinder.

Tool room specials, creative engineering and no computers by modern standards.

Notice none had any flywheel effect and were a nightmare to ride.

Only the lucky few got the chance and earned every penny.

Track safety was straw bales and a bashed up ambulance.

Finally the 500 4.

That's Honda playing with its museum GP racers from 1966 in a glorified car park.

Hope you don't mind the overload but it may put 1960's bike technology in front of a new audience.

Finally, finally, serious nostalgia.

Edited by shipman
lots more

I believe the test rider is Hiraku Miyagi.

Glad you enjoyed the video's.

Honda weren't entirely dominant during those years. Both Yamaha and Suzuki fielded their own exotic two strokes.

Suzuki built a 3 cylinder 50cc.

At the end of 1967 the governing race organization (FIM) decided things were getting far too much and introduced severe restrictions in all classes in the hope of encouraging closer competition. Much like post war supercharging was banned for the same reasons.

At the moment I'm not at liberty to divulge what was sitting on my table last night.

When I can, it will be a real exclusive treat for late 1940's British GP enthusiasts.

I'm fortunate to know some fascinating characters who have even more fascinating motorcycles.

Edited by shipman
more!

After taking a couple of days off from modeling, I'm back to take up where I left off on this photo etch chain building dilemma. 

On the left side of the jig are links I cut from the photo etch fret using a XActo blade. It distorted the shape of the links which Tamiya suggests using "something" (not specific) to pinch the links to tighten them against the roller pins. As you can see from the photos, my precision tweezers are no match for this small work. Got to find something to pinch those links and tighten them. To the right of the cut links are links yet to be cut. I will attempt to do this with a micro cutoff wheel in my dremel. I tried using my Xuron photo etch cutting scissors but those mangle the links as well.

I am definitely open to suggestions if you have one.

DSCN3289.JPG

DSCN3290.JPG

DSCN3291.JPG

Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Plastic-Cutting-Tweezers-Jewelry/dp/B01MZ6621X

Only perhaps hardened for metal work? I’ve seen a few pricy ones for jewellery makers, but there’s got to be something “good enough” for hobbyists that won’t empty the wallet.

Here’s a set designed for electronics:

https://www.tdiinternational.com/product-category/hand-tools/tweezers/cutting-tweezers/

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

These are so finely tipped that they will cause a bleed if you happen to get poked by them. Definitely the finest metal tipped tweezers I've ever used. They come with protective sleeves and I am glad of it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VT3YVD?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1